7800x3d and 4090

Budget (including currency): 4k USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming at 1440p with maxed out settings with super high fps.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2YM3hk  I'm upgrading from a Xbox series s 1440p 200fps+ Im a first time builder.

19 minutes ago, JayTruly said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming at 1440p with maxed out settings with super high fps.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2YM3hk  I'm upgrading from a Xbox series s 1440p 200fps+ Im a first time builder.

you dont need expensive corsiar fans just get some arctic's the GPu is also really overkill for 1440p, something like a 7900 xtx is way cheaper and will be just as good for 1440p. Also there is no point in a liquid cooler just get a good air one for better reliability. Something like a peerless assassin 120 see or a NHD15. 

I hit 700W on an i5 with a NHD15

Also I'm 14 so please just confirm anything I say with someone more experienced

21 minutes ago, JayTruly said:

I'd recommend looking at a native 12VHPWR power supply if you're knowingly buying an RTX 4090. Native 12VHPWR is just better, but worst case, the internally adapted cables do work (which Corsair does sell). 

TBH the RTX 4090 doesn't gap the RTX 4080 by much at 1440p. The RTX 4090 is truly a 4K card and I wouldn't recommend it from a value perspective outside of that. I'd argue the 7900 XTX is better for 1440p overall. If you just want the best however, then the RTX 4090 is it.

4000D can cool an RTX 4090 but its not the best case for it. You will have to give it a ton of airflow to compensate, especially in the bottom compartment for the GPU. I would run two 140mm fans on the front and bias them towards the bottom, where 3 120mm on the front might harm the flow through nature of the RTX 4090. The difference between center mounted two 140mm and one biased towards the bottom of the mount was significant for GPU thermals in my experience with my build in the 4000D. I'd recommend something either with a bottom intake or you're likely going to have to tinker with fan configuration.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

5 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

you dont need expensive corsiar fans just get some arctic's the GPu is also really overkill for 1440p, something like a 7900 xtx is way cheaper and will be just as good for 1440p. Also there is no point in a liquid cooler just get a good air one for better reliability. Something like a peerless assassin 120 see or a NHD15. 

3D v-cache just works better with AIOs, from my testing between the 5800x3D and 7950x3D with the EKWB 280mm elite AIO and an NH-D15 in multiple cases, being a 4000D, Fractal Design North, and Fractal Design Torrent.

Without going too deep into thermodynamics, the combination of lower operating temperature and specific heat capacity of a watercooling loop just cools the 3D v-cache CCD better in my experience. The most limiting part being short boosting windows that the 3D v-cache mod can reduce since it has to add two extra heat transfer layers.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

8 minutes ago, Agall said:

I'd recommend looking at a native 12VHPWR power supply if you're knowingly buying an RTX 4090. Native 12VHPWR is just better, but worst case, the internally adapted cables do work (which Corsair does sell). 

TBH the RTX 4090 doesn't gap the RTX 4080 by much at 1440p. The RTX 4090 is truly a 4K card and I wouldn't recommend it from a value perspective outside of that. I'd argue the 7900 XTX is better for 1440p overall. If you just want the best however, then the RTX 4090 is it.

4000D can cool an RTX 4090 but its not the best case for it. You will have to give it a ton of airflow to compensate, especially in the bottom compartment for the GPU. I would run two 140mm fans on the front and bias them towards the bottom, where 3 120mm on the front might harm the flow through nature of the RTX 4090. The difference between center mounted two 140mm and one biased towards the bottom of the mount was significant for GPU thermals in my experience with my build in the 4000D. I'd recommend something either with a bottom intake or you're likely going to have to tinker with fan configuration.

I chose the rmx shift 1000w I just chose that one because the shift isn't on PCPartPicker, also what's the case that you recommend for this build, I'm thinking I go down to the 4080 and get a better case with more fans?

15 minutes ago, Bob__ said:

Mainly I chose the Corsair fans and aio more for the aesthetic then anything really. also, I went with Nvidia just for ray tracing performance.

11 minutes ago, JayTruly said:

I chose the rmx shift 1000w I just chose that one because the shift isn't on PCPartPicker, also what's the case that you recommend for this build, I'm thinking I go down to the 4080 and get a better case with more fans?

I still use the Fractal Design North for a reason. However I use the mesh side panel version specifically because its mesh side panel, which is the only modern mid tower with that option. My RTX 4090 gladly intakes from the bottom part of the mesh, even with a dedicated front 140mm giving it pressure. I wouldn't say the glass side panel version is worth it, since its practically no different than the 4000D at that point.

The Fractal Design Torrent is a great case, but practically requires an air cooler and also heats the heck out of your power supply which might cause thermal issues with it (something you might not realize till then with a specific power supply). 

The RTX 4090 if you tune it will use upwards of 600W, something that requires a decent amount of internal volume. Mid towers like the 4000D and North are practically SFX cases for the RTX 4090, so unless you're planning to do tons and tons of tuning like I have to optimize airflow, then I'd suggest going bigger.

The internal volume of a case is heat capacity, something mITX lacks. It can assist with unoptimized airflow designs as a practical buffer for where airflow might be lacking.

To actually answer your question, it depends on if you're more function biased or form biased. The most functional case in this scenario is the North with mesh side panel. Comparably, you'd likely have to go with an O11 type case with bottom fan mounts to get sufficient airflow to the GPU.

If it puts it into perspective, I let my RTX 4090 heat up to 80C with an aggressive fan curve and it still turbos past 3GHz constantly at 550W. Its neigh silent, as silent as a +700W PC could be in a mid tower really. Although without sufficient airflow, the RTX 4090 will thermal throttle at stock settings, which really just provides tribute to having a well designed setup.

BTW the main reason I run such an aggressive overclock on my RTX 4090 daily is there's something magical about +3GHz in terms of input latency, even on a 240Hz display. My eyes are conditioned from the last 9 years running 144Hz, and just something about having a high clock speed makes the experience far better subjectively. Maybe there's an IPC limitation on GPUs that you don't notice until you've ran something that fast, especially at 4K.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

30 minutes ago, JayTruly said:

I go down to the 4080 and get a better case with more fans?

Personally I would say no.

the 4090 is expensive but you get a lot of power for the price.

the 4080 has so much of that performance stripped away and still a high price.

if you measure the cost to performance the 4080 is a bad deal compared to the 4090

As for a case I like Fractal torrent for airflow build and BeQuiet for Water cooling builds.

both cases have excellent fans not some cheap generic ones simply to ticks the fans included box.

BeQuiet fans are Noctua level and those in the torrent are high quality and the 180mm ones are super quiet as they move so much air at low speed.

20 minutes ago, johnno23 said:

Personally I would say no.

the 4090 is expensive but you get a lot of power for the price.

the 4080 has so much of that performance stripped away and still a high price.

if you measure the cost to performance the 4080 is a bad deal compared to the 4090

As for a case I like Fractal torrent for airflow build and BeQuiet for Water cooling builds.

both cases have excellent fans not some cheap generic ones simply to ticks the fans included box.

BeQuiet fans are Noctua level and those in the torrent are high quality and the 180mm ones are super quiet as they move so much air at low speed.

I run the Fractal Design 140mm case fans over my 140mm noctuas. Far quieter with the same performance. I might end up snagging 140mm BeQuiet fans.

Fractal Torrent is a great case if you're air cooling the CPU, otherwise you basically defeat the purpose of the case. NH-D15 or equivalent being optimal for that, however you're not really benefiting over a standard design mid tower with a top mounted 240mm AIO. 3D v-cache is susceptible to thermal limits and sucking the farts of a flow through RTX 4090 doesn't help. Any RTX 4090 flow through will exhaust right into the CPU intake and its noticeable, even with the massive airflow of the Torrent's front 180mm. Really can't solve that either without compromise. Then all that heat is being sucked in by the power supply which does heat it up.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500