Mini ITX build, never done it!

Budget (including currency): 1800€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: League of Legends, Guild Wars 2, Hogwarts Legacy, other games (new and old release)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Existing part

Monitor: LG 34WN80C

Hello everyone, for a friend I'm going to build a new pc, a Mini-ITX. I never built one, so I'm a bit unsure of what parts to pick, like the GPU and the PSU.

This is the list right now:

Case: IQUNIX ZX-1 (already bought)

CPU: Intel i5-13400 or 13600k, probably will go for the 13600k

MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX B760-I

RAM: whatever is cheap at the moment of buying, going for 2x16gb DDR5 minimum 5600 MHz.

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB/500GB (if we need to cheap out a bit) OR Sabrent Rocket 1TB/500GB (same) - on this one I think it doesn't matter wich brand I choose.

Cooler: Kraken X53

Right now, with all this pieces, we reach about 1130€, so we have more or less 700€ to pick a PSU and a GPU.

I never picked a SFX PSU, so I have no idea of what brand is the "bang for the buck".

Also, what GPU is best to pair with the LG 34WN80C?

Thank you kindly for everyone who's going to answer 😄 

Presumably you bought the water cooling version of the ZX-1?

There are numerous 240 AIO much less expensive than the X53. Something like the ID-COOLING DASHFLOW 240 BASIC should be fine.

Since the motherboard doesn't permit full exploitation not the i5-13600K, I'd suggest the i5-13400(F) or i5-13500(F). They can run cooler than the i5-13600K.

Choice of PSU depends a great deal on the GPU selected. Use https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ as a reference when considering PSU models.

The case will greatly limit GPU choices. An RTX 4070 Ti would be the bare minimum for running the referenced monitor.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

6 hours ago, brob said:

Presumably you bought the water cooling version of the ZX-1?

There are numerous 240 AIO much less expensive than the X53. Something like the ID-COOLING DASHFLOW 240 BASIC should be fine.

Since the motherboard doesn't permit full exploitation not the i5-13600K, I'd suggest the i5-13400(F) or i5-13500(F). They can run cooler than the i5-13600K.

Choice of PSU depends a great deal on the GPU selected. Use https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/ as a reference when considering PSU models.

The case will greatly limit GPU choices. An RTX 4070 Ti would be the bare minimum for running the referenced monitor.

Yes for the water cooling version.

I never heard that cooler, gonna look at some of them.

I was unsure of the 13600k, but with one of the last video of LTT it convinced me, it even used the same combo. I picked it for the same reason he did.

Thank you for the tier list! If I'd pick an RTX 4070 Ti, what PSU should be good?

8 hours ago, Alexaldin said:

Budget (including currency): 1800€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: League of Legends, Guild Wars 2, Hogwarts Legacy, other games (new and old release)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Existing part

Monitor: LG 34WN80C

Hello everyone, for a friend I'm going to build a new pc, a Mini-ITX. I never built one, so I'm a bit unsure of what parts to pick, like the GPU and the PSU.

This is the list right now:

Case: IQUNIX ZX-1 (already bought)

CPU: Intel i5-13400 or 13600k, probably will go for the 13600k

MoBo: ASUS ROG STRIX B760-I

RAM: whatever is cheap at the moment of buying, going for 2x16gb DDR5 minimum 5600 MHz.

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1TB/500GB (if we need to cheap out a bit) OR Sabrent Rocket 1TB/500GB (same) - on this one I think it doesn't matter wich brand I choose.

Cooler: Kraken X53

Right now, with all this pieces, we reach about 1130€, so we have more or less 700€ to pick a PSU and a GPU.

I never picked a SFX PSU, so I have no idea of what brand is the "bang for the buck".

Also, what GPU is best to pair with the LG 34WN80C?

Thank you kindly for everyone who's going to answer 😄 

Hello, I think this build just just right for you. I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please let me know.

https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/dfCrd9

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor  (€338.26 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 240 Liquid CPU Cooler  (€102.42 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z790I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€371.62 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  (€139.80 @ Alternate Italia)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€64.72 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€93.37 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: Acer Predator BiFrost OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card  (€449.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 SFX GOLD 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  (€159.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €1719.09

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

6 minutes ago, PC HEROES said:

Hello, I think this build just just right for you. I have been building PCs for 30 years so if you have any questions please let me know.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 240 Liquid CPU Cooler  (€102.42 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z790I EDGE WIFI Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€371.62 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory  (€139.80 @ Alternate Italia)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€64.72 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€93.37 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: Acer Predator BiFrost OC Arc A770 16 GB Video Card  (€449.00 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: Cooler Master V850 SFX GOLD 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  (€159.90 @ Amazon Italia)

I like that CPU cooler, I know be quiet! and they are pretty good. Probably gonna swap the NZXT with that.

Memory and storage I'll go with what is cheaper when we buy.

Intel GPU... I prefer the stability of Nvidia, sorry.

That power supply seems pretty solid, probably gonna add it!

Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Alexaldin said:

I like that CPU cooler, I know be quiet! and they are pretty good. Probably gonna swap the NZXT with that.

Memory and storage I'll go with what is cheaper when we buy.

Intel GPU... I prefer the stability of Nvidia, sorry.

That power supply seems pretty solid, probably gonna add it!

Thank you!

For the storage I always go with either Crucial or Acer because they are the cheapest Gen4 M.2s with a Cache on them, Sabrent doesn't, Samsung does but right now all the Samsung M.2s are requiring a Firmware update because they have a flaw that makes them READ ONLY. I get that Samsung is probably the best brand of storage drives right now but there are so many other options and "IF" you can tell the difference in speed then cool but if not then people just waste a bit of money.

I truly understand about the GPU. You can easily switch it out for a RTX 4070, Non Ti Version. The 4070 is more than capable of doing 4K games, recording, and streaming/content creation. I only put in the ARC A770 so is to keep the cost down a bit.

If you need anything else I'm here.

I have been building PCs for over 30 years so if you have any questions please ask. For Future Communication I use Discord for much Faster Response Times as I have it open 24/7. I am also available if you need help before, during, or after the Build Process on Discord through Text,Voice, or Video Chat. I can be with you while you build your new PC if you need me to be. Here is my Discord: Wizardsnapper#2772

2 hours ago, Alexaldin said:

Thank you for the tier list! If I'd pick an RTX 4070 Ti, what PSU should be good?

Depends a bit on the GPU manufacturer's recommendations, but probably https://it.pcpartpicker.com/product/FZstt6/asus-rog-loki-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-sfx-power-supply-90ye00n3-b0na00. Reason being that it natively supports the 12VHPWR connector used by the GPU.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

32 minutes ago, PC HEROES said:

For the storage I always go with either Crucial or Acer because they are the cheapest Gen4 M.2s with a Cache on them, Sabrent doesn't, Samsung does but right now all the Samsung M.2s are requiring a Firmware update because they have a flaw that makes them READ ONLY. I get that Samsung is probably the best brand of storage drives right now but there are so many other options and "IF" you can tell the difference in speed then cool but if not then people just waste a bit of money.

I truly understand about the GPU. You can easily switch it out for a RTX 4070, Non Ti Version. The 4070 is more than capable of doing 4K games, recording, and streaming/content creation. I only put in the ARC A770 so is to keep the cost down a bit.

If you need anything else I'm here.

Good to know on the SSD side! 

The GPU needs a bit more research, to find something on sale at least.

Thank you for everything!

13 minutes ago, brob said:

Depends a bit on the GPU manufacturer's recommendations, but probably https://it.pcpartpicker.com/product/FZstt6/asus-rog-loki-850-w-80-platinum-certified-fully-modular-sfx-power-supply-90ye00n3-b0na00. Reason being that it natively supports the 12VHPWR connector used by the GPU.

Wow that would be really nice, gonna try to convince my friend to put a bit more money in the budget!

3 hours ago, PC HEROES said:

I was looking into the be quiet! Pure Loop, but I think the in-line pump can be a problem.

I was watching Bitwit assembly and:

image.png.323d8d27f31e48da8f03b296a0d73417.png

The pump is gonna be between the fan and the psu, and I don't think it has enough space...

2 hours ago, Alexaldin said:

I was looking into the be quiet! Pure Loop, but I think the in-line pump can be a problem.

I was watching Bitwit assembly and:

image.png.323d8d27f31e48da8f03b296a0d73417.png

The pump is gonna be between the fan and the psu, and I don't think it has enough space...

Maybe you should return the case and get a different one. They do make regular tower style cases for ITX, they are just a tiny bit bigger than the normal ITX cases and they are much easier to build in also.

This is one of the BIG reasons I try and steer people away from ITX builds in general. As long as I have been building PCs (30 years), I still have trouble with every single one of them. If I had the power I would make it were they never existed.

But here is more ITX tower cases in case you change your mind

Thermaltake The Tower 100 Mini ITX Tower Case

Fractal Design Torrent Nano RGB Mini ITX Tower Case

MagniumGear Neo-G Mini V2 Mini ITX Tower Case

Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case

Phanteks Eclipse P200A DRGB Mini ITX Tower Case

Fractal Design Meshify 2 Nano Mini ITX Tower Case