Windows 11 volume-slider increments are too large, and mouse cursor often goes invisible against light-coloured backgrounds. Any fix?

Delicieuxz

I'm overall liking Windows 11 a lot more than Windows 10. The tabbed File Explorer and Notepad is great, as are the updated Notepad features, the new right-click menu is cleaner looking and more space efficient, and the layout of the settings panel is improved. The awful start menu I'll replace, just as I do on Win 10, so it's whatever. I think it's a big improvement over Windows 10.

But there are some issues I'm having with it.

One is that the mouse curson Win 11 regularly doesn't change colour based on background properly, resulting in it disappearing against white and whitish backgrounds, including input forms and white backgrounds with black text on them. If I keep waving the mouse cursor around, it will eventually fix itself and display the properly-contrasting colour against the background. But this issue keeps happening, and is happening frequently. Is there a fix?

Another thing I dislike is that the volume slider now changes only in increments of 4, rather than increments of 2 as it did in Win 10. A volume-slider increment of 4 can be a significant difference, and the inability to dial the volume to exactly where I want it is noticed. I hope that might be changed in an update.

October 2023 update:

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

I haven't noticed the mouse-cursor disappearing issue for a long time now, so maybe a Windows update fixed it. But I still have the volume-slider increments issue, and it's a big annoyance.

Using the keyboard arrow keys, the volume-slide increments adjust by 1. Using the volume keys on my keyboard, the volume increments adjust by 2. Using the mouse-wheel over the volume icon in the system tray, the volume increments adjust by 4, except in certain situations, like sometimes when a certain game is running, or sometimes (but not usually) when a YouTube video is playing it might adjust by 2 instead of 4.

Is there a registry key that can be edited to change what the volume-slider increments are for different situations?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

On 4/29/2023 at 2:52 PM, Delicieuxz said:

One is that the mouse curson Win 11 regularly doesn't change colour based on background properly, resulting in it disappearing against white and whitish backgrounds, including input forms and white backgrounds with black text on them. If I keep waving the mouse cursor around, it will eventually fix itself and display the properly-contrasting colour against the background. But this issue keeps happening, and is happening frequently. Is there a fix?

Make sure your display is set to RGB 8-bit colors or more.

To verify: Settings > Display > Advanced Display (at the bottom of the main pane).

Screenshot2023-04-30235236.thumb.png.c80cd9467225a0b2e9b0aa1d1de3137c.png

If that is not the case, then the problem is probably with your GPU (if not: display or display connection used which doesn't have the needed capabilities).

Check your graphic card control panel to fix this.

On 4/29/2023 at 2:52 PM, Delicieuxz said:

Another thing I dislike is that the volume slider now changes only in increments of 4, rather than increments of 2 as it did in Win 10. A volume-slider increment of 4 can be a significant difference, and the inability to dial the volume to exactly where I want it is noticed. I hope that might be changed in an update.

By default, it is an increment of 2. You have something that changed it to 4. Probably your keyboard/mouse software, or your keyboard is double tapping those keys.

If you are using BT headset, headphone or earphones, then it is using absolute volume, and your headset/earphones/headphones is programmed to go in steps of 4.

This can be disabled in Windows (meaning now, you'll have 2 volume control to adjust, one from the PC and the other headset/headphone), go to the registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Bluetooth\Audio\AVRCP\CT

And set to value 1, the field: DisableAbsoluteVolume.

Restart your system to apply. To change it back, set it back to 0, and restart the system once again.

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Make sure your display is set to RGB 8-bit colors or more.

To verify: Settings > Display > Advanced Display (at the bottom of the main pane).

Screenshot2023-04-30235236.thumb.png.c80cd9467225a0b2e9b0aa1d1de3137c.png

If that is not the case, then the problem is probably with your GPU (if not: display or display connection used which doesn't have the needed capabilities).

Check your graphic card control panel to fix this.

By default, it is an increment of 2. You have something that changed it to 4. Probably your keyboard/mouse software, or your keyboard is double tapping those keys.

If you are using BT headset, headphone or earphones, then it is using absolute volume, and your headset/earphones/headphones is programmed to go in steps of 4.

This can be disabled in Windows (meaning now, you'll have 2 volume control to adjust, one from the PC and the other headset/headphone), go to the registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Bluetooth\Audio\AVRCP\CT

And set to value 1, the field: DisableAbsoluteVolume.

Restart your system to apply. To change it back, set it back to 0, and restart the system once again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

My display bitrate is already set to 10-bit. But I'm using AMD Zen 4 integrated graphics, until I move my RTX 3080 from my other PC once I no longer need it in that one. So, maybe that's causing the issue.

Regarding the volume control, I haven't changed anything with it (and this is still basically a fresh Win 11 installation), and I'm using a wired Redragon USB mouse. Using the same mouse and software in Windows 10 on my other PC, the volume increments by 2. However, I've made the registry edit and will restart and see if it has an effect.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

After resetting to apply the registry change, the volume slider still scrolls in increments of 4. So, the registry edit didn't work in this case.

Some vids of the mouse cursor issue. It''s not normally something I can make happen on command. The cursor doesn't contrast properly against the text boxes in these clips. Though, the issue isn't limited to input fields and I think can occur against, for example, the background of a new / blank web browser page.

• 5 months later...

I haven't noticed the mouse-cursor disappearing issue for a long time now, so maybe a Windows update or Nvidia driver update fixed it. But I still have the volume-slider increments issue, and it's a big annoyance.

Using the keyboard arrow keys, the volume-slide increments adjust by 1. Using the volume keys on my keyboard, the volume increments adjust by 2. Using the mouse-wheel over the volume icon in the system tray, the volume increments adjust by 4, except in certain situations, like sometimes when a certain game is running, or sometimes (but not usually) when a YouTube video is playing it might adjust by 2 instead of 4.

Is there a registry key that can be edited to change what the volume-slider increments are for different situations?