There is a compatibility issue that concerns me from my PC picker sheet

Bruzzel77

Budget (including currency): 2500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ascent, New Jedi Fallen order, Cyberpunk 2077

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So yeah, I don't know why it should conflict like that? Should I get a different board?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V8XXKp

This would be my first time putting it together. Am I missing anything? I am mainly building around a 7800X3D and a Radeon 6950xt card. I would like a saphhire for the looks but Asrock is cheaper. Thanks!

I know my local computer store (Memory Express, good people) keeps a couple "known-good" previous-gen AMD chips to put into motherboards that need their BIOS updated. Your local retailer might also offer that service.

5 hours ago, Bruzzel77 said:

Budget (including currency): 2500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Ascent, New Jedi Fallen order, Cyberpunk 2077

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So yeah, I don't know why it should conflict like that? Should I get a different board?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V8XXKp

This would be my first time putting it together. Am I missing anything? I am mainly building around a 7800X3D and a Radeon 6950xt card. I would like a saphhire for the looks but Asrock is cheaper. Thanks!

That's due to the recent problems of the X3D cpu's being fried when enabling AMD EXPO. MSI did a bios fix for that a few days ago to restrict the voltages.  Not a problem flashing the new bios with that board seeing how it comes with MSI M-Flash which allows the user to flash to the latest bios without installing the cpu.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-new-bios-for-am5-motherboards-restricts-ryzen-7000x3d-volgtages  

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-X670-P-WIFI/support  

Not bad, but you can do better:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w9XXKp

1. Cooler was swapped because the 7800X3D is an insanely easy CPU to cool. It draws maybe 90W at the most, with it more hovering around 60-70 under full load without any advanced tuning, and personally in my experience with that chip on a similar air cooler I've never seen it get above 80. No need to invest in an AIO to keep it cool.
  2. The thermal paste was ditched because any modern cooler will come with stuff that's perfectly adequate. 
  3. The board was swapped for one that's a bit cheaper with about as many features (no need for X670)
  4. The RAM was swapped for something a little faster out of the box and again, a bit cheaper. 
  5. The original storage config didn't make a ton of sense. The one in the parts list still doesn't make a ton, but it makes more sense and should give you 6TB total of flash storage.
  6. The PSU was swapped out for something a bit cheaper and more efficient. There are still reasons to go for the A850G PCIe5 if you want the native 12+4 pin connector, though if you're fine with an adapter this saves you ~$10. 
  7. The remaining budget was put towards a GPU upgrade. You can fit a 7900 XTX in within this budget. 

If you game at 1440P then here's a build to consider.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($449.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($48.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: *Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($799.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: *Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Power Supply: *Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2071.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-04-29 00:40 EDT-0400

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-216/  

asus4070ti.jpg

asus4070tipwr.jpg

4 hours ago, Why_Me said:

If you game at 1440P then here's a build to consider.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($449.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler  ($48.98 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  ($219.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: *Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: *Asus TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card  ($799.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: *Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Power Supply: *Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $2071.92

id swap the GPU for 7900XTX for 200$ extra and that would be flagship 1440p machine. But yeah for a 2K nvidia 1440p machine, this is not bad. Id go for 4070 and overclock personally.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

id swap the GPU for 7900XTX for 200$ extra and that would be flagship 1440p machine. But yeah for a 2K nvidia 1440p machine, this is not bad. Id go for 4070 and overclock personally.

The RTX 4070 is a 192 bit side bus card and the Ti is a 256 bit side bus card not to mention these 40XX cards don't o/c much out of the box. 

2 hours ago, Why_Me said:

The RTX 4070 is a 192 bit side bus card and the Ti is a 256 bit side bus card not to mention these 40XX cards don't o/c much out of the box. 

Yeah i know. But 800$ is plain absurd asking price for 4070Ti to me which makes the 4070 more sensical in PPD. When 4070Ti drops 100$ down id absolutely take that instead.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

13 hours ago, Why_Me said:

That's due to the recent problems of the X3D cpu's being fried when enabling AMD EXPO. MSI did a bios fix for that a few days ago to restrict the voltages.  Not a problem flashing the new bios with that board seeing how it comes with MSI M-Flash which allows the user to flash to the latest bios without installing the cpu.

Ohhh so it was bad to begin with. My god I dodged a bullet!

13 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Not bad, but you can do better:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/w9XXKp

This is actually amazing! And a lot more inline with what i wanted for sure! And I saved money! My only concern is the wattage of the XTX card, I heard it was a power hog that could spike and then knock out your power I think from a report from GN.  That why I went with the 6950xt, less power, better performance, and cheaper to boot.

However it is in budget... but you did say the power supply was on the cheap side, would it be reliable for that card?

Also the reason why I went with the hard drive the way i did was to have the 500 GB be the dedicated Boot drive for Windows 11, 2TB m.2 drive for gaming, and 4 sta tb for media storage for miscellaous well..media.

Final question, i that CPU fan a silent type or noisy?

But it is pretty much dayum, you really trim the fat off of it! Amazing!

13 hours ago, Why_Me said:

I am avoiding NVidia this generation due to their greedy practice. So it would have to be an AMD card 😄 Thank you very much for taking the time out for the rest though! More options!

3 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

Ohhh so it was bad to begin with. My god I dodged a bullet!

This is actually amazing! And a lot more inline with what i wanted for sure! And I saved money! My only concern is the wattage of the XTX card, I heard it was a power hog that could spike and then knock out your power I think from a report from GN.  That why I went with the 6950xt, less power, better performance, and cheaper to boot.

However it is in budget... but you did say the power supply was on the cheap side, would it be reliable for that card?

Also the reason why I went with the hard drive the way i did was to have the 500 GB be the dedicated Boot drive for Windows 11, 2TB m.2 drive for gaming, and 4 sta tb for media storage for miscellaous well..media.

But it is pretty much dayum, you really trim the fat off of it! Amazing!

I am avoiding NVidia this generation due to their greedy practice. So it would have to be an AMD card 😄 Thank you very much for taking the time out for the rest though! More options!

What resolution do you game at?

13 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

From having used both a 6950 XT and a 7900 XTX (long story), their average power consumption is pretty similar with the power spikes being significantly lower on the 7900 XTX vs. the 6950 XT. If the power supply would power a 6950 XT, it would power a 7900 XTX. The power supply I recommended is cheaper than what you had, but it's still a very high rated PSU and should have no problem with that card. 

17 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

Given the pricing of it, the setup I recommended was probably better, just share the Windows and gaming boot drive, then have the 4TB for everything else. 

18 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

Final question, i that CPU fan a silent type or noisy?

It will be relatively quiet, you could probably lock the fan at like 30% and have no problem keeping the 7800X3D cool while being even more quiet. Again, that chip is one of the coolest running AM5 CPUs you can find, and that cooler is arguably overkill for it (you can get by with an AMD stock cooler with it if you didn't have a 400W GPU in the same case). For reference:

11 hours ago, Why_Me said:

What resolution do you game at?

I have a pitiful 1080 ti so whatever it can handle at max settings.

10 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

From having used both a 6950 XT and a 7900 XTX (long story),

Ok that makes me feel a lot better. Thank you very much for the help.

Final questions, Should i get the 3 year warranties on each parts these guys or offering?

14 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

Final questions, Should i get the 3 year warranties on each parts these guys or offering?

I wouldn't no matter what, I don't keep most parts for much more than 1 year let alone 3, but whether I'd recommend it depends on where you're buying it and the price of the warranty. Some places are pretty good support for their warranties, better than the device manufacturers, others are worse and whatever you spent is worthless. If I were to give a blanket statement, it would be don't bother, usually if it lasts 1 year it'll last 5+ so the stock warranty is enough, but there can be a couple exceptions if the RMA department of a particular brand is terrible or something like that.

On 4/30/2023 at 12:38 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

I wouldn't no matter what, I don't keep most parts for much more than 1 year let alone 3, but whether I'd recommend it depends on where you're buying it and the price of the warranty. Some places are pretty good support for their warranties, better than the device manufacturers, others are worse and whatever you spent is worthless. If I were to give a blanket statement, it would be don't bother, usually if it lasts 1 year it'll last 5+ so the stock warranty is enough, but there can be a couple exceptions if the RMA department of a particular brand is terrible or something like that.

Thanks! So...I placed my order...new egg told me they have most of the stuff except for the Thermalake assassin fan you recommended. Now there is one but it is no longer 42 bucks instead it is 100 bucks.  Is there a good alternative? Also the h9 flow cases is out of stock at both Amazon and Bestbuy... do I fall back to Lian Li?

9 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

Thanks! So...I placed my order...new egg told me they have most of the stuff except for the Thermalake assassin fan you recommended. Now there is one but it is no longer 42 bucks instead it is 100 bucks.  Is there a good alternative? Also the h9 flow cases is out of stock at both Amazon and Bestbuy... do I fall back to Lian Li?

This cooler should be in stock, plus it's a little cheaper than the $42 of the originally recommended cooler: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LGY38L4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

As for the case, going to the O11 isn't a bad idea if you really like the look of the H9, just make sure to buy some fans to go with it. If you aren't glued to the fish tank look, there are some other good cases like the Corsair 4000D Airflow, Lian Li Lancool 216 (this case is really nice and my go-to recommendation at the moment), G360A, etc. See what you like the look of and go for that, they should all be pretty reasonably priced. Last I checked the H9 Flow was in stock at Best Buy though, at least the black version: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nzxt-h9-flow-atx-mid-tower-case-with-dual-chamber-black/6529621.p?acampID=0&cmp=RMX&irclickid=TTHTEVXuHxyNTE7XN8SVdx8FUkAVGBz5U1W3UE0&irgwc=1&loc=PCPartPicker&mpid=79301&ref=198&refdomain=pcpartpicker.com&skuId=6529621

46 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This cooler should be in stock, plus it's a little cheaper than the $42 of the originally recommended cooler: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LGY38L4?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

As for the case, going to the O11 isn't a bad idea if you really like the look of the H9, just make sure to buy some fans to go with it. If you aren't glued to the fish tank look, there are some other good cases like the Corsair 4000D Airflow, Lian Li Lancool 216 (this case is really nice and my go-to recommendation at the moment), G360A, etc. See what you like the look of and go for that, they should all be pretty reasonably priced. Last I checked the H9 Flow was in stock at Best Buy though, at least the black version: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nzxt-h9-flow-atx-mid-tower-case-with-dual-chamber-black/6529621.p?acampID=0&cmp=RMX&irclickid=TTHTEVXuHxyNTE7XN8SVdx8FUkAVGBz5U1W3UE0&irgwc=1&loc=PCPartPicker&mpid=79301&ref=198&refdomain=pcpartpicker.com&skuId=6529621

Ok got the CPU fan.  As for the best buy, for me it says sold out where the "put in cart" option would be.  the O11 don't have fans?! Ummm how many case fans would I need?

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-2-white-case-fan/p/1YF-001D-00088?Description=be quiet case fans&cm_re=be_quiet case fans-_-9SIA68VA2S5027-_-Product

Thinking of getting this to match the Li Lian o11 white color scheme for case fans. I think two comes into this pack. How many would I need? 9? 10? 3 top, 3 side, 3 bottom?

Likewise I can probably get this :  https://www.newegg.com/black-magniumgear-neo-qube-2-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811699001?Description=neo qube&cm_re=neo_qube-_-11-699-001-_-Product

It looks similar to a H 9 flow

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

As for the best buy, for me it says sold out where the "put in cart" option would be.

Weird, it was in stock an hour ago for me, not it's saying out of stock. It looks like the white version just came in stock on Amazon though:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BG1GQKKY?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

3 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

the O11 don't have fans?! Ummm how many case fans would I need?

Nope, it doesn't come with any. How many you would need depends on what you plan on doing with it, I believe it can fit up to 10 though you don't need to pack it full of fan. 6 should be more than enough.

Personally, I don't really like recommending that case for airflow builds mostly for that reason, it's designed around custom loops and that's about it. The H9 Flow I can kinda recommend since it does come with a lot of fans, so while it's definitely better for water cooled builds it's not bad for air cooling. If the H9 Flow isn't an option, look at the other cases I recommended, they're all pretty good for air cooled systems, plus the Fractal Torrent is an option for the high end. Maybe look at the Hyte Y40, it does come with one fan and doesn't need too many extra fans added, maybe only 2 or 3. 

8 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-2-white-case-fan/p/1YF-001D-00088?Description=be quiet case fans&cm_re=be_quiet case fans-_-9SIA68VA2S5027-_-Product

Thinking of getting this to match the Li Lian o11 white color scheme for case fans. I think two comes into this pack.

Nope, that's the price per fan. I would get something significantly cheaper. The Arctic P12 is a good option if you want white, you can get a 3 pack of RGB fans for $44, about $2 less per fan than those be quiet! ones. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/447G3C/arctic-p12-pwm-pst-a-rgb-0db-488-cfm-120-mm-fans-3-pack-acfan00258a

12 minutes ago, Bruzzel77 said:

That is just a knockoff O11 Dynamic. If they're the same price, just get the Lian Li case, it'll be better built with more accessories, plus it doesn't look like that one comes with fans either.