Gigabyte Z790 No POST

PolyFox
Go to solution Solved by JenjerBread,
16 hours ago, PolyFox said:

Hey Jenjer,

I left it for I'd say over 15 minutes and resat all parts.

I have a hunch that maybe my GPU is not supported so going to try a 1080ti and 3080ti tomorrow.

15 minutes is more than enough. Its a bit odd that it won't post with R9 fury X. I had a look around for other people running that GPU + a modern CPU/Motherboard. I think if it works in your old system but not in your new system, that its a case of the VBIOS on the GPU now playing along with the motherboard BIOS. See if you can update the VBIOS and try again.

More information about VBIOS issue here  > https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/kr78rn/r9_fury_x_not_working_in_b550_gaming_carbon_wifi/

I have a feeling it will definitely work with the GTX 1080ti and with the RTX 3080ti too.

Hi Team,

First post here so be gentle, after spending a few hours looking online for answers but can't find anything that works.

Specs:

CPU - 13700KF

Cooler - NH-D15

MB - Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z790

Drive - Kingston KC3000 2TB

Ram - G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400 CL32

GPU - AMD R9 Fury X (From my old rig)

PSU - Corsiar AX760 (From my old rig)

The Issue

Just finished a upgrade I was on a i7-4790K since 2014 and wanted to upgrade. So went online and ordered a few new parts, the only thing I carried over from my old system is the GPU and PSU as the GPU I want is out of stock.

I have the PC together HDMI from GPU to monitor and ready to install windows but it will not post or display video, this motherboard has boot LEDs for CPU, DRAM, VGA and BOOT (Why is a error code read out not standard on new boards? when I built my first system they all came with error code read out).

On first start the system gets stuck on VGA, I then updated my bios to version FDa thinking problem solved. Restart and try again after a bios flash and same issue system gets stuck on VGA. Clear CMOS and try again no join.

I have tried the steps in the "README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation" post but they didnt work.

Any help would be appericated.

TIA,

Poly Fox

1 hour ago, PolyFox said:

Hi Team,

First post here so be gentle, after spending a few hours looking online for answers but can't find anything that works.

Specs:

CPU - 13700KF

Cooler - NH-D15

MB - Gigabyte Aorus Elite Z790

Drive - Kingston KC3000 2TB

Ram - G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 6400 CL32

GPU - AMD R9 Fury X (From my old rig)

PSU - Corsiar AX760 (From my old rig)

The Issue

Just finished a upgrade I was on a i7-4790K since 2014 and wanted to upgrade. So went online and ordered a few new parts, the only thing I carried over from my old system is the GPU and PSU as the GPU I want is out of stock.

I have the PC together HDMI from GPU to monitor and ready to install windows but it will not post or display video, this motherboard has boot LEDs for CPU, DRAM, VGA and BOOT (Why is a error code read out not standard on new boards? when I built my first system they all came with error code read out).

On first start the system gets stuck on VGA, I then updated my bios to version FDa thinking problem solved. Restart and try again after a bios flash and same issue system gets stuck on VGA. Clear CMOS and try again no join.

I have tried the steps in the "README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation" post but they didnt work.

Any help would be appericated.

TIA,

Poly Fox

Have you tried reseating the GPU?

How long have you left it to boot for? on first boot it can take a while.

Regarding Error code readouts, they removed it cos its cheaper to just have 4 LEDs compared to a 7 segment display. 😕 

Also Welcome to the forums!

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

2 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

Have you tried reseating the GPU?

How long have you left it to boot for? on first boot it can take a while.

Regarding Error code readouts, they removed it cos its cheaper to just have 4 LEDs compared to a 7 segment display. 😕 

Also Welcome to the forums!

Hey Jenjer,

I have a hunch that maybe my GPU is not supported so going to try a 1080ti and 3080ti tomorrow.

16 hours ago, PolyFox said:

Hey Jenjer,

15 minutes is more than enough. Its a bit odd that it won't post with R9 fury X. I had a look around for other people running that GPU + a modern CPU/Motherboard. I think if it works in your old system but not in your new system, that its a case of the VBIOS on the GPU now playing along with the motherboard BIOS. See if you can update the VBIOS and try again.

More information about VBIOS issue here  > https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/kr78rn/r9_fury_x_not_working_in_b550_gaming_carbon_wifi/

I have a feeling it will definitely work with the GTX 1080ti and with the RTX 3080ti too.

SFF

11 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

The problem has been resolved, I tried a 1080ti from a friend, and the system POSTed fine, and now using the system.

As you mentioned Jenjer my R9 Fury X may have had an old bio which caused issues but I also think the R9 may not be compatible. Driver support stopped on 6/23/2022 for the R9 Fury X and the 1080ti is still supported by Nvivida.

Thank you for your help 🙂

Poly Fox 

11 minutes ago, PolyFox said:

The problem has been resolved, I tried a 1080ti from a friend, and the system POSTed fine, and now using the system.

As you mentioned Jenjer my R9 Fury X may have had an old bio which caused issues but I also think the R9 may not be compatible. Driver support stopped on 6/23/2022 for the R9 Fury X and the 1080ti is still supported by Nvivida.

Thank you for your help 🙂

Poly Fox 

No problem, glad its working now!

SFF