New build, old SSD, Bios stuck

NanoZelos
Go to solution Solved by JenjerBread,
10 minutes ago, NanoZelos said:

I'll look for drivers for the built-in Wi-Fi, thanks! 

What about going from CSM to UEFI? 

CSM stands for Compatibility Support Module. This allows the UEFI to boot from a drive that was setup on a machine with legacy bios. You can leave it if you want and it'll still work fine. Or if you want to, you can follow the instructions carefully and try it. I will recommend that you make a backup of your important data on a SEPARATE drive before proceeding. I found what you meant by the MBR to GPT conversion > https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7. But follow it carefully if you do proceed since you can break your install/ lose data.

In my personal opinion:

If you're lazy/ don't want to go through headaches / your machine works right now then id leave it.

Or just reinstall windows fresh on a different drive and migrate to that. There are ways to find out what your product key was for your install. I believe there is a command to run though you'll need to do your own research on that.

If you haven't found your drivers yet : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-P-WIFI/support#driver

Select your OS > LAN Drivers > WI-FI.

You can install your Bluetooth drivers as well.

Hi there! 

I assembled my new build yesterday. Problem is I was stuck on the Bios. I figured out to switch from UEFI boot mode to CSM boot mode and it worked. 

Now I still don't have Wi-Fi and I would like to return to UEFI. 

I read that I should either configure a hard drive from MBR to GPT and it would be good. Some others said that I needed to reinstall windows. Problem is I don't have the activation code. 

What should I do here? 

Thanks in advance! 

7 minutes ago, NanoZelos said:

Hi there! 

I assembled my new build yesterday. Problem is I was stuck on the Bios. I figured out to switch from UEFI boot mode to CSM boot mode and it worked. 

Now I still don't have Wi-Fi and I would like to return to UEFI. 

I read that I should either configure a hard drive from MBR to GPT and it would be good. Some others said that I needed to reinstall windows. Problem is I don't have the activation code. 

What should I do here? 

Thanks in advance! 

What do you mean by don't have WI-FI? Are you referring to the WIFI built into your motherboard? An External Dongle? If its motherboard. Check the support section for the driver install on the manufacturers website. If its a USB dongle, check the brand website for the installer.

Another solution is to plug an ethernet cable in and wait for windows to detect the hardware and automatically install them for you.

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

10 minutes ago, JenjerBread said:

What do you mean by don't have WI-FI? Are you referring to the WIFI built into your motherboard? An External Dongle? If its motherboard. Check the support section for the driver install on the manufacturers website. If its a USB dongle, check the brand website for the installer.

Another solution is to plug an ethernet cable in and wait for windows to detect the hardware and automatically install them for you.

14 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

why do you want UEFI? CSM works fine. 

and the wifi is just a driver issue. what wifi card do you have? 

I read everywhere that UEFI was just better. Even the person that told me to switch to CSM said that it was just supposed to be temporary in waiting to return to UEFI. 

Motherboard is Msi pro z790-p wifi ddr4 

3 minutes ago, NanoZelos said:

I read everywhere that UEFI was just better. Even the person that told me to switch to CSM said that it was just supposed to be temporary in waiting to return to UEFI. 

Motherboard is Msi pro z790-p wifi ddr4 

it's "better" sure but CSM will work, and switching it over is a major pain in the ass. i wouldn't bother. 

She/Her

10 minutes ago, NanoZelos said:

CSM stands for Compatibility Support Module. This allows the UEFI to boot from a drive that was setup on a machine with legacy bios. You can leave it if you want and it'll still work fine. Or if you want to, you can follow the instructions carefully and try it. I will recommend that you make a backup of your important data on a SEPARATE drive before proceeding. I found what you meant by the MBR to GPT conversion > https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7. But follow it carefully if you do proceed since you can break your install/ lose data.

In my personal opinion:

If you're lazy/ don't want to go through headaches / your machine works right now then id leave it.

Or just reinstall windows fresh on a different drive and migrate to that. There are ways to find out what your product key was for your install. I believe there is a command to run though you'll need to do your own research on that.

If you haven't found your drivers yet : https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-P-WIFI/support#driver

SFF

2 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

it's "better" sure but CSM will work, and switching it over is a major pain in the ass. i wouldn't bother. 

As it is a totally new build (safe for the PSU and my hdd/SSD, I'd like to have it running at optimal potential 😕

What would be the troubles for switching to UEFI? 

7 minutes ago, NanoZelos said:

As it is a totally new build (safe for the PSU and my hdd/SSD, I'd like to have it running at optimal potential 😕

What would be the troubles for switching to UEFI? 

i've tried it before and corrupted my windows install, so there's that. 

UEFI doesn't offer much difference, you get Secure Boot which like, you don't really need, and it boots a bit faster, maybe 5 seconds. honestly just stick to CSM. 

She/Her

13 minutes ago, JenjerBread said:

In my personal opinion:

Thanks a lot for all of that! 

I was on the drivers page and saw that there was a lot of them. Shouldn't I be installing them all? 

4 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

i've tried it before and corrupted my windows install, so there's that. 

UEFI doesn't offer much difference, you get Secure Boot which like, you don't really need, and it boots a bit faster, maybe 5 seconds. honestly just stick to CSM. 

I guess I'll stick to CSM for a while then. 

Thanks for your answers

1 minute ago, NanoZelos said:

Thanks a lot for all of that! 

I was on the drivers page and saw that there was a lot of them. Shouldn't I be installing them all? 

well I would install drivers for the Chipset, Audio, (SVGA if your CPU has built-in graphics), All of LAN at the minimum.

I'm not too sure of Intel Management Engine driver or GNA Scoring driver are so maybe someone can shine some light on that. I don't think you will need the Serial IO driver but you can install it if you want to? (Again someone check me on this pls)

If you don't have SATA drives, i think you can leave out the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Drivers.

SFF