VGA status LED red

Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
7 hours ago, tsharky said:

I will try this next week when I have some time. If I restart the computer, the light goes away until the next restart. I also noticed these temps on my gpu on iCue. Is it normal for one temp to be about 11 deg C different than the other?

image.png.76b91bf27d038d9ad7e3fcf93e9ce97d.png

You may have to check with something like GPU-Z under the sensors page and see what those are as one could be the core temperature and other being the hot-spot temperature; meaning the highest reported temperature on the silicon. It possibly can also just be a VRAM temperature sensor but just to double-check you can use GPU-Z or even HWinfo64 and scroll all the way to the bottom of the sensors page to see the graphics card sensors.

Sometimes for me, if you turn the computer on before the monitor is on, the VGA light will illuminate but the system works normally and restarting the system will shut the VGA light off. Therefore, I turn the monitor on first and then boot the system so I don't see the VGA light. I should say that of course we have different systems but possibly that may be the issue. 

Built my pc about a month ago. Seems to run fine, but noticed a status LED for VGA is lit.

Noticed the LED last week. I had my 3070 powered with one cable from the psu, so I added another cable and the led went away. This lasted a few days, but now the LED is back.

All drivers up to date, no updates available. BIOS version F23, up to date.

Would like advice on how to troubleshoot. All other topics I found are for GPU's not posting, mine is seeming to work fine. PC is working as expected. This is my first build so any advice is appreciated.

• Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor

• Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

• Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

• Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory

• Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

• Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card

• Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

• Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

• Windows 11 Home

----

Edit: GeForce Experience has drivers available to update, but gives an "update failed" notification after downloading. GCC crashes after opening about 90% of the time.

Edited by tsharky

Welcome to the forums!!!

Have you checked the power cables and ensure they are fully plugged in?? Check both the power supply end and the graphics card end. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2023 at 4:35 PM, CommanderAlex said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Have you checked the power cables and ensure they are fully plugged in?? Check both the power supply end and the graphics card end. 

Yes, I checked all of the power cables. All are fully plugged in on both ends.

16 hours ago, tsharky said:

Yes, I checked all of the power cables. All are fully plugged in on both ends.

Ok that's good. Have you tried reinserting the graphics card or trying another slot? Only problem with trying another slot is you won't get the maximum bandwidth x16 of the first slot but for testing we can try to see if the slot is the issue or the graphics card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

7 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok that's good. Have you tried reinserting the graphics card or trying another slot? Only problem with trying another slot is you won't get the maximum bandwidth x16 of the first slot but for testing we can try to see if the slot is the issue or the graphics card. 

I will try this next week when I have some time. If I restart the computer, the light goes away until the next restart. I also noticed these temps on my gpu on iCue. Is it normal for one temp to be about 11 deg C different than the other?

7 hours ago, tsharky said:

You may have to check with something like GPU-Z under the sensors page and see what those are as one could be the core temperature and other being the hot-spot temperature; meaning the highest reported temperature on the silicon. It possibly can also just be a VRAM temperature sensor but just to double-check you can use GPU-Z or even HWinfo64 and scroll all the way to the bottom of the sensors page to see the graphics card sensors.

Sometimes for me, if you turn the computer on before the monitor is on, the VGA light will illuminate but the system works normally and restarting the system will shut the VGA light off. Therefore, I turn the monitor on first and then boot the system so I don't see the VGA light. I should say that of course we have different systems but possibly that may be the issue. 

On 5/12/2023 at 5:32 AM, CommanderAlex said:

It is a core temp and a hot-spot temp on gpu-z. I think you are right with the monitor off on start up triggering the light. I checked a different slot and double checked power cables and it turned on without a red light, but my monitor was on. I turned turned off the system and monitor, restarted the system then the monitor, and the light was back. Odd little quirk, but an easy fix. Thanks!

3 hours ago, tsharky said:

It is a core temp and a hot-spot temp on gpu-z. I think you are right with the monitor off on start up triggering the light. I checked a different slot and double checked power cables and it turned on without a red light, but my monitor was on. I turned turned off the system and monitor, restarted the system then the monitor, and the light was back. Odd little quirk, but an easy fix. Thanks!

No problem!! I'm glad we were able to figure it out with it being that same quirk that I encounter.