RAM ID help?

I was wondering if anyone in here knew how to identify everything i need to know about my RAM.

I have G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16-16GTZB. I'm trying to find out what chips are on it etc for overclocking. I can't get them to boot above 3466MHZ even with small increments.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

38 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

I was wondering if anyone in here knew how to identify everything i need to know about my RAM.

I have G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16-16GTZB. I'm trying to find out what chips are on it etc for overclocking. I can't get them to boot above 3466MHZ even with small increments.

Well, they are rated for 3200 so they might not be stable at anything higher than that.

The only surefire way to identify chips is to remove the heatspreader.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

also what is the rest of the system like?

if it's early ryzen good luck getting much over 3400 MT/s

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

10 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

Even that's not guaranteed, as a lot of companies will silk screen their logo instead of what the chips actually are. G.Skill is one of those. 

OP, there are two methods to do this. First is to use a program like Thaiphoon Burner to read the SPD and see if the IC is said in there. The other way is to decode the G.Skill IC code which is the number above the serial number. The last 3 digits are what you're looking for, the 3rd from last is the manufacturer (1 is Samsung, 2 is Hynix, 3 is Micron, the rest I forget off the top of my head), the 2nd doesn't have any meaning people can figure out, and the last is the die revision. 

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Thaiphoon Burner to read the SPD and see if the IC is said in there.

Typhoon isn't always the most reliable either... Of course the best thing to do is to use multiple methods and cross check...

Even still, for OC you need to find the limits of your particular hardware... not all B-die is the same.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

Just now, svmlegacy said:

Typhoon isn't always the most reliable either... Of course the best thing to do is to use multiple methods and cross check...

True, but Thaiphoon also doesn't risk breaking the memory sticks and is rare to be wrong. It'll occasionally not tell you, but it won't be wrong. 

1 minute ago, svmlegacy said:

Even still, for OC you need to find the limits of your particular hardware... not all B-die is the same.

Definitely, but for a lot of other ICs they are very consistent so it can be useful to know. Plus it's good to know what the voltage tolerances are so you know the safe voltage limits (some you can do 1.6V no problem, others you don't want to do more than 1.35V for both the health of the chip and because it doesn't scale beyond it). 

14 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Well, they are rated for 3200 so they might not be stable at anything higher than that.

I've never had RAM this bad for overclocking, to put it into perspective, it needs 1.5v to be stable at 3333MHZ-16-17-36-1 my IMC will not take more than 1.1v without causing static crackling audio.

14 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

I thought as much, I really don't want to take them apart though, I was looking around for 2nd hand B-die RAM but prices are pretty high here in the UK.

14 hours ago, GOTSpectrum said:

also what is the rest of the system like?

if it's early ryzen good luck getting much over 3400 MT/s

6700K @ 4.7 core/4.5 ring in a sabertooth z170

14 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Even that's not guaranteed, as a lot of companies will silk screen their logo instead of what the chips actually are. G.Skill is one of those. 

OP, there are two methods to do this. First is to use a program like Thaiphoon Burner to read the SPD and see if the IC is said in there. The other way is to decode the G.Skill IC code which is the number above the serial number. The last 3 digits are what you're looking for, the 3rd from last is the manufacturer (1 is Samsung, 2 is Hynix, 3 is Micron, the rest I forget off the top of my head), the 2nd doesn't have any meaning people can figure out, and the last is the die revision. 

According to resources online I have pre 2017 RAM which doesn't have the numbers you're reffering to.

13 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

I've read a lot of guides, forums and so on that say typhoon just blags so it can't be used reliabily.

13 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

True, but Thaiphoon also doesn't risk breaking the memory sticks and is rare to be wrong. It'll occasionally not tell you, but it won't be wrong. 

Definitely, but for a lot of other ICs they are very consistent so it can be useful to know. Plus it's good to know what the voltage tolerances are so you know the safe voltage limits (some you can do 1.6V no problem, others you don't want to do more than 1.35V for both the health of the chip and because it doesn't scale beyond it). 

I doubt i'd break a stick, I'm handy with mechanical and tech stuff so its ok, Thaiphoon has been stated over and over to be unreliable and theres reports of the software having malware in it.

I can confirm that stability only improves above 1.45v.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd