Power a DC Motor Clockwise and Counter Clockwise with Raspberry Pi.

Go to solution Solved by FI Fheonix,
6 minutes ago, Zonther said:

I'm working on my final project and my professor will be out until finals are over. I am using 2N2222A NPN Transistors to power a DC motor to turn clockwise and counter clockwise.

I created a diagram of how I would think it will work bunt I don't want to build it and find out it blows something up. I haven't had any electrical engineering classes and this is a computer architecture class.

In a way this is the first I am creating my very own circuit and not just copying off from one off one of my labs that she has us do.

If you can, please let me know if this will work or what I will need to change to make this work.

Final_Diagram_maybe.png

The 2n2222A NPN transistor can be used to power  a DC motor to turn counter-clockwise and clockwise. However, it is important to be aware that this transistor offers a constant DC collector current of 800 mA, so loads that use more than that power limit can not be connected using this transistor. Also, the transistor is rated for a 40v max so you won't be able to drive high voltage motors with this transistor.

I'm working on my final project and my professor will be out until finals are over. I am using 2N2222A NPN Transistors to power a DC motor to turn clockwise or counter clockwise.

I created a diagram of how I would think it will work bunt I don't want to build it and find out it blows something up. I haven't had any electrical engineering classes and this is a computer architecture class.

In a way this is the first I am creating my very own circuit and not just copying off from one of my labs.

I did not have a lab that worked with transistors or making a DC motor turn clockwise or counterclockwise.

If you can, please let me know if this will work or what I will need to change to make this work.

Final_Diagram_maybe.png

Edited by Zonther

6 minutes ago, Zonther said:

I'm working on my final project and my professor will be out until finals are over. I am using 2N2222A NPN Transistors to power a DC motor to turn clockwise and counter clockwise.

In a way this is the first I am creating my very own circuit and not just copying off from one off one of my labs that she has us do.

Final_Diagram_maybe.png

The 2n2222A NPN transistor can be used to power  a DC motor to turn counter-clockwise and clockwise. However, it is important to be aware that this transistor offers a constant DC collector current of 800 mA, so loads that use more than that power limit can not be connected using this transistor. Also, the transistor is rated for a 40v max so you won't be able to drive high voltage motors with this transistor.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

2 minutes ago, Zonther said:

Off hand, it looks like it should work. Look up "H-bridges" if you want to confirm your design with other examples.

Couple words of warning:

• Don't power the motor directly from the RasPi; inductive flyback from the motor (i.e. motor momentum continues to create electricity after source is removed) could damage components on the board or the BJTs. Most H-bridge components have diodes across the BJTs to mitigate this.
  • Make sure programmatically it's impossible to have both GPIO14 and GPIO15 on simultaneously or else you'll pull a (close to) dead short and blow up all your transistors. Many H-bridge chips have supplementary logic to prevent this (or to simplify the I/O to "direction and power").

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

6 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Also, the transistor is rated for a 40v max so you won't be able to drive high voltage motors with this transistor.

I am using 3-6v DC motor. Sorry I forgot to add that in my post. Thank you for your response!

I am using 3-6v DC motor. Sorry I forgot to add that in my post. Thank you for your responce! I will test to see if that 800

I'm not really sure how well that will, work but good luck.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

Just now, FI Fheonix said:

I'm not really sure how well that will, work but good luck.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Zonther said:

Thank you!

Let me know how it goes...

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

10 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

Make sure programmatically it's impossible to have both GPIO14 and GPIO15 on simultaneously or else you'll pull a (close to) dead short and blow up all your transistors. Many H-bridge chips have supplementary logic to prevent this (or to simplify the I/O to "direction and power").

Ya that is what I will try to avoid. Thank you for bring H-bridge  up because I haven't heard of this before!

I was thinking

if button = pressed :

while button = pressed:

turn on GPIO 14

turn off GPIO 14

24 minutes ago, Zonther said:

I am using 2N2222A NPN Transistors

Actually after a little further research, making an H-bridge using only NPN transistors it probably not the right way to go (for EE reasons). Do you have access to PNP transistors as well? 

This is roughly the optimal configuration for an H-bridge: PNP on top, NPN on bottom.

image.png.178429e85fe13cfb169858ce72655b2e.png

if button = pressed :

while button = pressed:

turn on GPIO 14

turn off GPIO 14

Keep in mind that you won't be able to do anything else while you're in your button == pressed loop (including manipulate GPIO15). You might be better served with some state variables and setting your GPIO once all the logic is processed. Alternatively, I would recommend some sort of external logic to absolutely prevent that from happening.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB /

TEAMGROUP MS30 1TB | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

8 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

Do you have access to PNP transistors as well? 

No I do not have PNP transistors. I will have to look up what EE reasons and H-bridge up to get a better understanding. Thank you for letting me know!

I would just use relays. you can literally buy a relay hat for a raspi. 
it just drops on and then you should be able to figure out from there how to wire it so that you can enable a set of relays for the desired direction of travel.

9 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

I would just use relays. you can literally buy a relay hat for a raspi. 
it just drops on and then you should be able to figure out from there how to wire it so that you can enable a set of relays for the desired direction of travel.

I will have to look into it. They look like they cover all the GPIO pins and I would need to figure out how to hook up buttons to tell the Pi to turn either turn on GPIO 14 or GPIO 15 to control the rotation of the motor. 

look for some that have the keyword "stackable", they will have full gpio pin passthrough. obvious but take care not to use gpio that is used by the hat board.

2 hours ago, OhYou_ said:

look for some that have the keyword "stackable", they will have full gpio pin passthrough. obvious but take care not to use gpio that is used by the hat board.

Will do! I think I got it work the way I want by testing first with LED's first.

So I finally got home and started testing my setup, I figured out that the GPIO doesn't put out enough power to power the gate (base) so I need a GPIO pin to each gate in order to make my circuit to work correctly. Thank you for your help and information you gave everyone!

3 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

However, it is important to be aware that this transistor offers a constant DC collector current of 800 mA,

Thank you for the tip! I would be scratching my head on this one because the GPIO pins can't put out enough current to control two transistors at once. So I would need a GPIO pin per transistor.

Thank you for the tip! I would be scratching my head on this one because the GPIO pins can't put out enough current to control two transistors at once. So I would need a GPIO pin per transistor.

Or you could Darlington pair them (i.e. use one transistor to drive the base of one (or more) further transistors).

Network:

Spoiler

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

So I ended up using two relays. The issue I was getting is that the power going to the motor was reading only 2.5V regardless of the amount of power I try to send it. I tried 3.3v, 5v and 9v and all of them gave 2.5v at the motor. The only thing I could do correctly on this circuit was to get two LED's to turn on when I push the button. 

Thank you for the help everyone! I tried to understand some of the other methods that some people gave but I just didn't seem to understand them to well.