Does anyone know what’s causing this? (White flashing line)

HaasBeen

I’m at a loss here…

So for context - I recently upgraded my pc and setup;

Ryzen 5 5600

Refurbished msi 2080s

Refurbished Samsung Odyssey G7

I have no idea what’s causing these weird flashes, and normally it will flash every few minutes, but while running a cinebench benchmark it started doing it very frequently for a bit, I’m unsure if it’s related though. 

I don’t think it’s GPU artifacting as I have 2 monitors set up and it only happens on this monitor. Also during this clip it was only at 31C

I don’t think it’s the monitor either as i plugged my laptop into it and it was working fine

Thought it may be the DP cable I got sent with the monitor so I used a different one and the problem persists.

any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

52 minutes ago, HaasBeen said:

I’m at a loss here…

So for context - I recently upgraded my pc and setup;

Ryzen 5 5600

Refurbished msi 2080s

Refurbished Samsung Odyssey G7

I have no idea what’s causing these weird flashes, and normally it will flash every few minutes, but while running a cinebench benchmark it started doing it very frequently for a bit, I’m unsure if it’s related though. 

I don’t think it’s GPU artifacting as I have 2 monitors set up and it only happens on this monitor. Also during this clip it was only at 31C

I don’t think it’s the monitor either as i plugged my laptop into it and it was working fine

Thought it may be the DP cable I got sent with the monitor so I used a different one and the problem persists.

any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Does the second monitor use DP too? Can you test the same port and cable with that? Artifact should be visible on both even if in different ways, can you try a lower refresh rate and see if that changes something? Do you have any idea what version of DP cable you tried? I had problems in the past (but consistent ones, not intermittent) with cable that were made for older versions of DP and GPU and monitor both supporting a newer one

50 minutes ago, Jenko32 said:

Does the second monitor use DP too? Can you test the same port and cable with that? Artifact should be visible on both even if in different ways, can you try a lower refresh rate and see if that changes something? Do you have any idea what version of DP cable you tried? I had problems in the past (but consistent ones, not intermittent) with cable that were made for older versions of DP and GPU and monitor both supporting a newer one

No unfortunately the other monitor uses DVI and I’m not sure I have another DP monitor but I’ll have a look, I’ll try a lower refresh rate too. How do I check the cable is 1.4? Or do I just have to buy one?

30 minutes ago, HaasBeen said:

How do I check the cable is 1.4? Or do I just have to buy one?

I don't think there's a universal way to check what it actually is but being a 240Hz monitor it might actually be a problem to use older versions that were not made for that following VESA standard or a cheap designed cable. Might be a good idea to buy a 1.4 VESA Certified one but before spending money, other than testing at a lower refresh rate, you might want to try other stuff that comes to mind

-Run DDU and fresh install GPU drivers

-Try using only the monitor with the problem by disconnecting the other

-Update BIOS maybe?

-Could be too much work but trying a live version of a Linux OS that boots from a USB drive and see if it still happens

22 hours ago, Jenko32 said:

I don't think there's a universal way to check what it actually is but being a 240Hz monitor it might actually be a problem to use older versions that were not made for that following VESA standard or a cheap designed cable. Might be a good idea to buy a 1.4 VESA Certified one but before spending money, other than testing at a lower refresh rate, you might want to try other stuff that comes to mind

-Run DDU and fresh install GPU drivers

-Try using only the monitor with the problem by disconnecting the other

-Update BIOS maybe?

-Could be too much work but trying a live version of a Linux OS that boots from a USB drive and see if it still happens

Alright  - I didn’t get a chance to troubleshoot today, but I’ll give these things a try asap and get back to you, thanks!

21 hours ago, HaasBeen said:

Alright  - I didn’t get a chance to troubleshoot today, but I’ll give these things a try asap and get back to you, thanks!

Right so lowering the refresh rate didn’t help, and there was actually a gpu driver update which I clean installed for but that didn’t help either. I’m just wondering - do you think it could be a gpu problem? I did try overclock it once in the GeForce performance settings but reverted it to stock almost instantly. The card never overheats, but could this be due to artifacting or is that not a possibility?

23 hours ago, HaasBeen said:

Right so lowering the refresh rate didn’t help, and there was actually a gpu driver update which I clean installed for but that didn’t help either. I’m just wondering - do you think it could be a gpu problem? I did try overclock it once in the GeForce performance settings but reverted it to stock almost instantly. The card never overheats, but could this be due to artifacting or is that not a possibility?

Well as far as I know artifacts can't happen on one output port only, it could be that specific DP/DVI/HDMI controller but it's rare to say the least considering I've heard about it only on very old cards. Have you tried some heavy stress tests? Like OCCT or FurMark, the artifacts should get worse

On 4/19/2023 at 8:32 PM, Jenko32 said:

Well as far as I know artifacts can't happen on one output port only, it could be that specific DP/DVI/HDMI controller but it's rare to say the least considering I've heard about it only on very old cards. Have you tried some heavy stress tests? Like OCCT or FurMark, the artifacts should get worse

Sorry for the late reply… was looking for a Linux laptop I used a few years ago but couldn’t find it anywhere. But I tried all the other diagnostics you recommended and it’s still happening. I think I’ll just have to bite the bullet and get a proper cable, if that doesn’t fix it I’ll try multiple different devices to make 100% sure it isn’t the monitor itself.

15 minutes ago, HaasBeen said:

Sorry for the late reply… was looking for a Linux laptop I used a few years ago but couldn’t find it anywhere. But I tried all the other diagnostics you recommended and it’s still happening. I think I’ll just have to bite the bullet and get a proper cable, if that doesn’t fix it I’ll try multiple different devices to make 100% sure it isn’t the monitor itself.

Ok, if it's not the cable then it's going to be the monitor but for unknown reasons, because as you said it works with the laptop

1 hour ago, HaasBeen said:

have you upgraded firmware on your monitor yet? 

18 hours ago, Robchil said:

have you upgraded firmware on your monitor yet? 

No, honestly didn’t know that was something I could do on a monitor, do I just install the latest one from Samsung or is there more to it?

1 hour ago, HaasBeen said:

No, honestly didn’t know that was something I could do on a monitor, do I just install the latest one from Samsung or is there more to it?

yeah, i have the odyssey G7 32 inch version. and after a windows/driver update HDR was fubar and only showed half the screen in the middle of the display, after a firmware update it worked again. they are most happy at 240hz tho. 

2 hours ago, Robchil said:

yeah, i have the odyssey G7 32 inch version. and after a windows/driver update HDR was fubar and only showed half the screen in the middle of the display, after a firmware update it worked again. they are most happy at 240hz tho. 

Right so I tried updating the firmware too, still happened. So I decided to try the laptop for an extended period of time and surprisingly it happened again - don’t know how I missed it the first time testing it, feeling a little stupid now. It must be the monitor then and I’m going to have to try send it back.

Thanks for the responses and tips though!