MSI PRO B650-P WIFI Mobo PSU requirement?

So it's been since the Zen + era that I've really been into PCs, so a few years ago now. 

Anyways, back then, when you had to connect CPU power from the PSU to the mobo, it was up to an 8 pin connector. 

I'm looking to upgrade and Micro Center has a decently priced bundle with a Ryzen 7 7700X, the mobo that's in the title, and 32GB of RAM.  I'm thinking of having my bf pick it up for me since he lives near one and is moving in with me here soon.

But something I noticed, the mobo comes with two (2) 8 pin CPU connectors?  Most PSUs I've used (granted it's been a few years) only have up to one 8 pin connector.  Do I need to upgrade my PSU?  Do I need to plug in both?  I've heard some people say that yes both need to be plugged in, and others say no you don't need to worry about it. 

Some help and clarification would be appreciated!

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

9 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

So it's been since the Zen + era that I've really been into PCs, so a few years ago now. 

Anyways, back then, when you had to connect CPU power from the PSU to the mobo, it was up to an 8 pin connector. 

I'm looking to upgrade and Micro Center has a decently priced bundle with a Ryzen 7 7700X, the mobo that's in the title, and 32GB of RAM.  I'm thinking of having my bf pick it up for me since he lives near one and is moving in with me here soon.

But something I noticed, the mobo comes with two (2) 8 pin CPU connectors?  Most PSUs I've used (granted it's been a few years) only have up to one 8 pin connector.  Do I need to upgrade my PSU?  Do I need to plug in both?  I've heard some people say that yes both need to be plugged in, and others say no you don't need to worry about it. 

Some help and clarification would be appreciated!

You only need to connect one of the 1x8 pins for the 7700x and even 7950x. The exta 8 pin is for show / extreme overclocking.  The CPU 1x8pin is rated for 336w 🙂  I use only the 1x8 pin with my 7700x and did the same with my 9900k@5.1ghz.  You only need one.

23 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

You only need to connect one of the 1x8 pins for the 7700x and even 7950x. The exta 8 pin is for show / extreme overclocking.  The CPU 1x8pin is rated for 336w 🙂  I use only the 1x8 pin with my 7700x and did the same with my 9900k@5.1ghz.  You only need one.

Alright, thank you!  Just wanted to make sure if I needed to upgrade my PSU or not, it's been more than enough since I first got it and didn't really want to have to upgrade it if I didn't need to.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.