Hdd Running Slow

Hi, 

I found this kinda old hdd that seems to be super slow. its currently running at SATA/300 even tho it supports SATA/600 
and the transfer speeds are very slow it used to be faster with 100mb/s 

image.png.cc1b042b2e06d9c9901c5d7472457906.pngimage.png.5bc69330a89cf9635a61697893036ace.png

21 minutes ago, BassHeart said:

I found this kinda old hdd that seems to be super slow. its currently running at SATA/300 even tho it supports SATA/600 

Board and CPU? Where in the SATA data port is it plugged to?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Why does it say USB (Serial ATA) in the picture?  

If the drive is connected through USB,  35 MB/s is typical for a USB 2.0 connection.  USB 3.0 should do 150-200 MB/s but this drive can't do such high speeds. 

According to datasheet (see page 8) : https://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/seagate-laptop-fam/mobile-hdd/en-us/docs/100775165b.pdf

your model can do UP TO 140 MB/s (if the data is continuously arranged at the edge of the platter where you get most spins under the read/write heads) ... as the heads move towards the other edge of the platter, speed will decrease. 

15 hours ago, BassHeart said:

Hi, 

image.png.cc1b042b2e06d9c9901c5d7472457906.pngimage.png.5bc69330a89cf9635a61697893036ace.png

Few things:
A) It looks like you're connected via a USB SATA. Slow speeds could be caused by that. Ensure you're on USB 3 or higher through that, ***or*** switch it to a proper internal SATA DATA cable off your Motherboard.

B) If it's an "Old" HDD, as you say, you could try a Manual Defrag. Probably won't do much, but it might. (Right click the Drive in the "This PC" Section of Windows File Explorer > Properties > Tools > Optimize and Defragment Drive > Defragment

~~Jirp the Computer Girl~~

On 4/12/2023 at 11:55 AM, SorryClaire said:

Board and CPU? Where in the SATA data port is it plugged to?

i have a laptop.It is connected via usb 3.0 but it seems to be slow other hdds work with normal 100mb/s so speed this one is slow i cant find why

It may be connected via usb 3, but it seems to be actually running in usb 2.0 mode.

That could be either due to bad connectors (contacts could be dirty or oxidized oso due to bad contact it could switch to usb 2.0mode, contacts could be malformed inside the sockets or bent in a way that they short together causing the controller to go in usb 2.0 mode because that uses only 4 contacts) , could be bad usb cable , or maybe you're using usb 2 cable or maybe for some reason the port on the laptop is running on usb 2.0 speed  (for example to save power when running on battery, or maybe downgraded itself temporarily due to too many errors on the cable)

Like I said, 35 MB/s is typical for USB 2 speeds, the maximum theoretical is around 42-43 MB/s on USB 2.0, but speeds around 35-36 MB/s are typical, majority of devices will get such speeds.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It may be connected via usb 3, but it seems to be actually running in usb 2.0 mode.

That could be either due to bad connectors (contacts could be dirty or oxidized oso due to bad contact it could switch to usb 2.0mode, contacts could be malformed inside the sockets or bent in a way that they short together causing the controller to go in usb 2.0 mode because that uses only 4 contacts) , could be bad usb cable , or maybe you're using usb 2 cable or maybe for some reason the port on the laptop is running on usb 2.0 speed  (for example to save power when running on battery, or maybe downgraded itself temporarily due to too many errors on the cable)

Like I said, 35 MB/s is typical for USB 2 speeds, the maximum theoretical is around 42-43 MB/s on USB 2.0, but speeds around 35-36 MB/s are typical, majority of devices will get such speeds.

Ig ill see with a new cable and if it works 😛 
Thnx