CMOS/BIOS keeps crashing?

Chadwick Boseman

System specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

Windows 10 was the original OS

Full retail not a prebuilt

The system is like 2-7 years old depending on the part, was put together last saturday

Also installed the OS last saturday

gtx 1080 fe

rog maximus z690 formula

seasonic prime tx-850, 850 watts

Basically, after a little bit of use on the computer I can't access my bios under any circumstances. I've flashed my bios and made sure all my firmware was up to date, but the only thing that can temporarily fix the issue is letting the cmos clear for about an hour or so. I say temporary because upon shutting the system down and turning it back on again after doing basically anything on the pc I go back to not being able to boot into the bios. Not being able to boot into the bios doesn't clear the cmos because windows reports that my ram is still running at 6000mhz. I think my m.2 drive might have something to do with it because based on the startup animations it seems to crash after sitting on code 98 for a bit before throwing me into windows. I tried changing the cmos battery, but that lead to a cmos error and even after wiping the cmos and flashing the bios it still crashes during startup, but now it always happens, even after a cmos clear on a barebones start. It now also flashes "defective drive" on the screen for a fraction of a second before throwing me into windows. Is there anything I could do or do I just have to throw in the towel and accept the fact that it's a bad board? I'll try reseating the cpu later today but I think that's about my only option left.

Do you have another keyboard around? Some USB keyboards do not get recognized by the motherboard until the BOOT sequence is reached. If that's the case, then you will notice you cannot get into BIOS, since your keystrokes are not being recognized when the system is starting. See if you can get into BIOS with another keyboard. The simpler the better.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO