fan headers

GOATWD
Go to solution Solved by NorKris,

yes you can. its called dc control or volt control

can i plug a 3 pin fan into a 4pin headder and still have speed control over it 

33 minutes ago, GOATWD said:

can i plug a 3 pin fan into a 4pin headder and still have speed control over it 

no. the fourth pin is used to control the speed of the fan. Without it the fan will always run at full speed.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 minute ago, FI Fheonix said:

no. the fourth pin is used to control the speed of the fan. Without it the fan will always run at full speed.

ok thx

7 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

misinformation

6 minutes ago, GOATWD said:

ok thx

he doesn't know what he's talking about.... you absolutely can. most motherboards even default to DC control rather than PWM unless they detect something on the sense pin.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, NorKris said:

thx u

5 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

he doesn't know what he's talking about.... you absolutely can. most motherboards even default to DC control rather than PWM unless they detect something on the sense pin.

thx u to

1 hour ago, GOATWD said:

thx u to

in bios you can manually force it to use one or the other if the motherboard doesn't detect correctly the type.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

2 hours ago, NorKris said:

misinformation

How?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

5 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

How?

what you told him was wrong. 

13 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

How?

3-pin can be plugged into 4-pin header. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

7 hours ago, NorKris said:

what you told him was wrong. 

Can you explain why if your so smart?

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

11 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Can you explain why if your so smart?

you wanna know why controllers and MB manufactures let you control the speed with les than 4 pins? 

2pin Fans: a controller/MB software can be set to a curve based on volt to control the Fan, with 2 pins you dont know how fast its spinning but this is not needed to control it

3pin Fans: a controller/MB software can be set to a curve based on volt to control the Fan while the fan reports back to the controller/MB what speed its spinning

4pin Fans: The Controller/MB gets another option to control the Fan by pushing 12v all the time but telling the device how often it should use the 12v(PWM), while the Fan is reporting back. 

Fan splitters 4pin: only 1 fan reports back what the speed of the fan is. but all of them gets the signal (PWM) on the 4th pin) 

18 minutes ago, NorKris said:

you wanna know why controllers and MB manufactures let you control the speed with les than 4 pins? 

2pin Fans: a controller/MB software can be set to a curve based on volt to control the Fan, with 2 pins you dont know how fast its spinning but this is not needed to control it

3pin Fans: a controller/MB software can be set to a curve based on volt to control the Fan while the fan reports back to the controller/MB what speed its spinning

4pin Fans: The Controller/MB gets another option to control the Fan by pushing 12v all the time but telling the device how often it should use the 12v(PWM), while the Fan is reporting back. 

Fan splitters 4pin: only 1 fan reports back what the speed of the fan is. but all of them gets the signal (PWM) on the 4th pin) 

If I remember correctly, a PWM Fan can be plugged into a 3-pin header, but then it's just like a 3-pin fan.

Is pulse wave modulation a fancy way of saying frequency modulation but specifying it's through pulsing?

Daisy chaining is just another form of splitting, right?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Is pulse wave modulation a fancy way of saying frequency modulation but specifying it's through pulsing?

not so sure about that. PWM is the control where 12v to the device turns off and on fast (or not so fast for low speed or full speed)

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Daisy chaining is just another form of splitting, right?

yep

13 hours ago, RevGAM said:

frequency modulation is non specific. it could be done on both analogue or digital systems for different tasks. FM radio is famously Frequency Modulation.
but PWM as a control technique is a digital technique that does not modulate the frequency, so it's not FM. it's not used to store the data signal, it is just a control signal. it tells the thing at the other end of the wire to turn on and off in sync with it. it's just flicking the light switch really fast. and the thing that is modulated to change in PWM is the length of time the signal stays on vs off. as a percentage, because you can't be more turned on than all the time (i've tried...)

it's used in digital light diming (when the carrying frequency is too low it bothers many people because they can feel the flicker) it's used in speed control systems and it's used in controlling the heat elements on your cooktop and ovens. it can also be used in charging circuits and many other palces.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

4 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

because you can't be more turned on than all the time (i've tried...)

LOL!

Thanks for the research and explanation!