NAS HDDS

Rad Design

Looking for good deals on NAS HDDs. Building Un-raid NAS for youtubers. Would like to start out with 100tb and leave room for more. I have a case for 10 drives. Was looking at maybe 20tb or 22tb drives. Not a newbie at the NAS, but drives are so expensive.

First time posting. Any real advice would be very appreciated. Big fan for the channel

20+ TB Drives are pricey.  Nothing you can do about that.

Keep an eye on Slickdeals and see if there are any good sales.

Yes, giant drives are not cheap.

In general, get a NAS drive that is CMR and not SMR because SMR random reads/writes are the worst.

My own personal anecdotes on specific NASs:

I've been using a Seagate IronWolf NAS 4 TB for at least a year that I've been happy with, and it has a diagnostic mode I can invoke on a schedule from my Synology NAS.

Heres my review of the Western Digital Red 3 TB: After 60000 hours powered on (6.9 years, nice) and accidentally dropping it from 8 feet high while in a MyCloud enclosure, it still works fine! The drive might have extra vibration that I don't remember before, but I've done short & long SMART tests and a 10 hour surface test with zero bad sectors. I now use this for offline storage.

It does not have great read/write speeds compared to other HDDs, though still capable of 100+ MBps so sequential reading and writing is often not going to be a bottleneck when using it in a NAS with a typical 1 gbps wired connection.

Make sure to get a CMR drive (Red Plus), not SMR if you don't want even worse random read/write performance. This was a CMR drive before WD made all "Red" SMR and "Red Plus" became CMR only.