Weird dual-channel memory problem

Hi everyone,
I started getting a BSOD for critical structure corruption with Windows 11.

Due to that, I ran a Memory Diagnosis, and it said I had hardware errors:
"The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer"

I ran Memtest86, and errors were found on one of the RAM slots (A2). Since I have 4 RAM sticks, I swapped the corresponding pair to see if the error occurred in the other RAM slot (B2) to see if the problem could be the stick and ran the test again. The resulting errors showed they were in the same RAM slot (A2), not the new slot (B2).

I've run several tests with no success, always giving errors on A2...

• Set speeds to 3200, 3000, 2666 or 2166 MHz
  • Increase VCCIO and VCCSA up to 1.3v
  • Swap the RAM sticks (it seems that the problem is not with the RAM)
  • If I run on single channel with only two sticks, on either channel, I don't get any memory errors (Sticks on A1/B1 or A2/B2)
  • If I run with 3 sticks, I get errors, I tried these combinations A1/A2/B1/- (error on A2) and A1/-/B1/B2 (error on B2)

It seems that I have a problem when running the memory on dual-channel... is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

Thanks!

kovc3fna7pqa1.png

14 minutes ago, giovai said:

Hi everyone,
I started getting a BSOD for critical structure corruption with Windows 11.

Due to that, I ran a Memory Diagnosis, and it said I had hardware errors:
"The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected hardware errors. To identify and repair these problems, contact the computer manufacturer"

I ran Memtest86, and errors were found on one of the RAM slots (A2). Since I have 4 RAM sticks, I swapped the corresponding pair to see if the error occurred in the other RAM slot (B2) to see if the problem could be the stick and ran the test again. The resulting errors showed they were in the same RAM slot (A2), not the new slot (B2).

I've run several tests with no success, always giving errors on A2...

• Set speeds to 3200, 3000, 2666 or 2166 MHz
  • Increase VCCIO and VCCSA up to 1.3v
  • Swap the RAM sticks (it seems that the problem is not with the RAM)
  • If I run on single channel with only two sticks, on either channel, I don't get any memory errors (Sticks on A1/B1 or A2/B2)
  • If I run with 3 sticks, I get errors, I tried these combinations A1/A2/B1/- (error on A2) and A1/-/B1/B2 (error on B2)

It seems that I have a problem when running the memory on dual-channel... is there anything I can do to solve this issue?

Thanks!

kovc3fna7pqa1.png

If you are experiencing problems when running memory in dual-channel mode, there are several things you can try to solve the issue:

Check compatibility: Make sure that your motherboard and memory modules are compatible with each other. Check the motherboard's manual to see if it supports the memory modules you are using, and check the memory modules' specifications to see if they are compatible with the motherboard.

Verify configuration: Make sure that you have installed the memory modules in the correct slots and that they are configured correctly in the BIOS. Consult your motherboard's manual for instructions on how to set up memory in dual-channel mode.

Test individual memory modules: If you are still experiencing issues, try testing each memory module individually to see if one of them is defective. Remove one module and run the system, then repeat with the other module. If one of the modules is defective, replace it.

Update BIOS: Make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date. Check the manufacturer's website for the latest BIOS update and follow the instructions to install it.

Reset BIOS: If updating the BIOS does not solve the issue, try resetting the BIOS to its default settings. Consult your motherboard's manual for instructions on how to do this.

Contact manufacturer: If you have tried all of the above and are still experiencing issues, contact the manufacturer of your motherboard or memory modules for further assistance.

I hope this helps you solve the issue with running memory in dual-channel mode

Might be worth trying to reseat the CPU. Some motherboards I've used have very picky sockets, where my Z170 OC Formula (probably the pickiest I've used) can take 3 or 4 socket reseat attempts to get both memory channels working and clocking memory up to 3866. 

Not saying it is the issue, it could just be that your motherboard has a faulty A channel, but it's the next thing I'd try before just declaring the board faulty. 

Also check the RAM slot for dust/ debris and make sure the slot 'fingers' and surround are good, and maybe check the contacts on memory modules for scratches/ dirt etc after use in that slot.