BIOs Flash Not Working

Sharkeye1520

I have been trying for quite some time to get all the pieces together for a PC. I finally have it together but I am trying to flash an updated BIOS so my CPU (Ryzen 5 4500) is supported by my motherboard (MSI B450-A Pro Max). The manufacturing date says December 2022 but im still unsure if I need to update the BIOS. Regardless I have followed multiple guides for setting 3 USB Drives to MBR and then setting up a formatted partition so I can flash the BIOS. Each of the different USBs keep getting the 3 flash light error which if my research is correct, means that the MB doesnt recognize the USB. I have tried everything and im worried I wont be able to use the very expensive parts I just got.

2 minutes ago, Sharkeye1520 said:

I have been trying for quite some time to get all the pieces together for a PC. I finally have it together but I am trying to flash an updated BIOS so my CPU (Ryzen 5 4500) is supported by my motherboard (MSI B450-A Pro Max). The manufacturing date says December 2022 but im still unsure if I need to update the BIOS. Regardless I have followed multiple guides for setting 3 USB Drives to MBR and then setting up a formatted partition so I can flash the BIOS. Each of the different USBs keep getting the 3 flash light error which if my research is correct, means that the MB doesnt recognize the USB. I have tried everything and im worried I wont be able to use the very expensive parts I just got.

It’s great that you have been able to put together your PC. According to MSI’s website, you can get the latest BIOS for your motherboard by visiting their support page for your board . You can then extract the file and you will get a text file and the BIOS file. Put the BIOS file into the root folder of a USB stick/drive . If you still have trouble with flashing your BIOS, you can try using MSI’s M-FLASH utility . I hope this helps!

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

22 minutes ago, Sharkeye1520 said:

Are you using a USB 3.0 drive that is greater than 32gb?

Annoyingly: there are a number of motherboards that for some reason require a low capacity (16gb or less) USB 2.0 drive to work correctly. 

27 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Annoyingly: there are a number of motherboards that for some reason require a low capacity (16gb or less) USB 2.0 drive to work correctly. 

Or require FAT32 formatted partitions.

Don't forget that you also need to rename your new BIOS file to use the flash button. It must be named MSI.ROM and be on the root of your USB device. (per page 40 of the user manual)

731387959_Screenshot2023-03-29131750.png.137445a206d42b4d544c9714895fae6f.png

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV