Phanteks D30 120mm

So the new Phanteks fans have released and they have a reversed airflow option and what seems to be a regular option. Do I have to buy both sets for correct configuration or can I buy the regular and get them to spin backwards to achieve reverse airflow?

10 minutes ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

So the new Phanteks fans have released and they have a reversed airflow option and what seems to be a regular option. Do I have to buy both sets for correct configuration or can I buy the regular and get them to spin backwards to achieve reverse airflow?

According to the information you provided, it seems that Phanteks has released two types of fans, one with reversed airflow and one with regular airflow. You can buy the regular fans and get them to spin backwards to achieve reverse airflow. You don’t have to buy both sets for correct configuration. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

5 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

According to the information you provided, it seems that Phanteks has released two types of fans, one with reversed airflow and one with regular airflow. You can buy the regular fans and get them to spin backwards to achieve reverse airflow. You don’t have to buy both sets for correct configuration. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Well that's what I am not sure about, why would they release two different sets if i can just make the regular was spin in reverse.

6 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

You write like an AI... suspiciously so...

17 minutes ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

You can't spin fans backwards (at least with computer fans). The reverse airflow option is mainly an aesthetic option so you don't have to show the back ("hub") of the fan as the visible part.

TL;DR: If you don't know that you need it, don't worry about reversed fans.

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

2 minutes ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

Well that's what I am not sure about, why would they release two different sets if i can just make the regular was spin in reverse.

According to Phanteks’ website, the D30-120 fan comes in two airflow direction models, regular and reversed. This unique option allows for the ultimate fan configuration for any system1. So, you can buy the regular option and get them to spin backwards to achieve reverse airflow. The reason why they released two different sets of fans is not clear from the information I found.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

1 minute ago, AbydosOne said:

You write like an AI... suspiciously so...

You can't spin fans backwards (at least with computer fans). The reverse airflow option is mainly an aesthetic option so you don't have to show the back ("hub") of the fan as the visible part.

TL;DR: If you don't know that you need it, don't worry about reversed fans.

See that's what I thought but FL Fheonix has found information on the website say you can. I need to know if the regular will spin backward because if they do I can just buy them so every single one looks the same.

9 minutes ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

See that's what I thought but FL Fheonix has found information on the website say you can. I need to know if the regular will spin backward because if they do I can just buy them so every single one looks the same.

Reversed fans, air goes this way:

image.thumb.png.3c6a399677667a3ec5d9782dd333f3ae.png

Normal fans, air goes this way:

image.thumb.png.678807057dd1d6c8fe0145de2d26b0ea.png

PC fans cannot spin backwards, partly for electrical reasons (PWM control doesn't like flipped polarities because reasons) and partly for aerodynamic reasons (the fan blades only work well in one direction).

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Hauppauge ImpactVCB-PCIe | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

3 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

Reversed fans, air goes this way:

image.thumb.png.3c6a399677667a3ec5d9782dd333f3ae.png

Normal fans, air goes this way:

image.thumb.png.678807057dd1d6c8fe0145de2d26b0ea.png

PC fans cannot spin backwards, partly for electrical reasons (PWM control doesn't like flipped polarities because reasons) and partly for aerodynamic reasons (the fan blades only work well in one direction).

Okay, cheers. Much Appreciated. So I need buy some of both sets if I want them all to be the "Pretty" side.

1 hour ago, FI Fheonix said:

According to Phanteks’ website, the D30-120 fan comes in two airflow direction models, regular and reversed. This unique option allows for the ultimate fan configuration for any system1. So, you can buy the regular option and get them to spin backwards to achieve reverse airflow. The reason why they released two different sets of fans is not clear from the information I found.

That is marketing talk. Roughly translated, it means: "we've added an option that serves no real purpose,  and you should buy it. " 😜 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

1 hour ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

They look pretty but they are crap compared to the T30. Less than half the SP and the AF is even worse. I'd never waste money on them.

To put it another way, they'll perform poorly on a rad, and won't move a lot of air, either. No wonder they sell them in a 3- pack. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

They look pretty but they are crap compared to the T30. Less than half the SP and the AF is even worse. I'd never waste money on them.

Okay good for you. I'm still probably going to buy them though because I really like the aesthetic.

Just now, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

Okay good for you. I'm still probably going to buy them though because I really like the aesthetic.

That is your prerogative. 

1 minute ago, Gin N Rum 5454 said:

Very well aware.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend. It's just that there are other fans out there with great aesthetics, too, and they offer better performance. 

And, the T30 is ugly.

If you're looking for aesthetics and you've already got cooling resolved, then adding those fans won't do anything but help, just not that much.

16 hours ago, RevGAM said:

To put it another way, they'll perform poorly on a rad, and won't move a lot of air, either. No wonder they sell them in a 3- pack. 

I was going to get t30 fans until I saw these, the performance is within 5% of the t30 on the d30 up to the d30 2000rpm limit (likely made so for led reasons and possibly blade material strength) which to be honest I NEVER even want my fans above 1500 rpm for noise. Even the t30 above 2000rpm wouldn't be nice sitting near it. Each to there own I guess but just saying they are literally a t30 with rgb but not going all the way to 3000rpm... for most people they would be great and look good. Also static pressure drops from 3.01mm on the normal facing to 2.72mm on the reverse, and static pressure on the reverse ones isn't such an issue as you would normally have them as an intake without a rad or on top as a pull fan on an intake maybe.

T30 does 3.12 at 2000rpm. So in my opinion if you want rgb the sacrifice is minimal if any.

I run coolermaster sickleflow reverse fans (only reverse I could find) for my 4 intake fans on a phanteks neo qube case (their 011d clone) for any case with bottom intake fans, reverse fans are the best choice for looks.

1 hour ago, BozCat said:

I was going to get t30 fans until I saw these, the performance is within 5% of the t30 on the d30 up to the d30 2000rpm limit (likely made so for led reasons and possibly blade material strength) which to be honest I NEVER even want my fans above 1500 rpm for noise. Even the t30 above 2000rpm wouldn't be nice sitting near it. Each to there own I guess but just saying they are literally a t30 with rgb but not going all the way to 3000rpm... for most people they would be great and look good. Also static pressure drops from 3.01mm on the normal facing to 2.72mm on the reverse, and static pressure on the reverse ones isn't such an issue as you would normally have them as an intake without a rad or on top as a pull fan on an intake maybe.

T30 does 3.12 at 2000rpm. So in my opinion if you want rgb the sacrifice is minimal if any.

I run coolermaster sickleflow reverse fans (only reverse I could find) for my 4 intake fans on a phanteks neo qube case (their 011d clone) for any case with bottom intake fans, reverse fans are the best choice for looks.

Thanks for the info. I'm only about performance. The T30 is loud but not as loud as the A14 iPPC-3000.