RTX 3070

Lui996

Hi,

I just got my hands on a used rtx 3070 asus tuf oc on a very good price, but the seller didn't realised his card is thermal throttling.

If I start furmark, in less then a minute, the gpu temp goes to 80-83 celsius and the core clock drops from 1850/1920mhz to 1700 mhz first, than after a couple of minutes to 1450mhz.

In game, I tried OW2 (I believe it has a really good optimasition), and hogwarts legacy and the witcher 3 (1440p on all games, high/uber/epic settings on the games). It was far from a bad experience, no fps drops, but the core clock after a while only 1700mhz, of course when I start the game it had 1900mhz but it slowly dropped to 1700 mhz and stayed there.

The card will be 3 years old in July. It was never dissassembled, the fans working fine, there's no significant dust in the cooler.

I'm thinking on changing the conductive/thermal paste(not sure if that's the correct word) with someone, so the problem would go away.

My question is, is there anything that can be the cause of this, that I'm not aware? If I can check the potentional other peoblem(s) myself, let me know!

I have the option to send it back to the seller within a week, but I wouldn't be able to test the card with the new thermal paste in this period due to the shipping times.

Thank you for your help!

8 minutes ago, Lui996 said:

Hi,

I just got my hands on a used rtx 3070 asus tuf oc on a very good price, but the seller didn't realised his card is thermal throttling.

If I start furmark, in less then a minute, the gpu temp goes to 80-83 celsius and the core clock drops from 1850/1920mhz to 1700 mhz first, than after a couple of minutes to 1450mhz.

In game, I tried OW2 (I believe it has a really good optimasition), and hogwarts legacy and the witcher 3 (1440p on all games, high/uber/epic settings on the games). It was far from a bad experience, no fps drops, but the core clock after a while only 1700mhz, of course when I start the game it had 1900mhz but it slowly dropped to 1700 mhz and stayed there.

The card will be 3 years old in July. It was never dissassembled, the fans working fine, there's no significant dust in the cooler.

I'm thinking on changing the conductive/thermal paste(not sure if that's the correct word) with someone, so the problem would go away.

My question is, is there anything that can be the cause of this, that I'm not aware? If I can check the potentional other peoblem(s) myself, let me know!

I have the option to send it back to the seller within a week, but I wouldn't be able to test the card with the new thermal paste in this period due to the shipping times.

Thank you for your help!

check your fan speeds as well as your power consumption while in game or under load. Don't think you can adjust the fan curve but check if you can. Also point a fan to the side of the gpu on the side of the heat pipes to also try and cool it down. You could use a fan like the arctic p12s

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

12 minutes ago, filpo said:

check your fan speeds as well as your power consumption while in game or under load. Don't think you can adjust the fan curve but check if you can. Also point a fan to the side of the gpu on the side of the heat pipes to also try and cool it down. You could use a fan like the arctic p12s

In MSI afterburner I can, and changed to a 100% all time, it was still getting hotter and hotter under furmark, but it took abou 2 mins before it hit the 80-83 celsius and dropped the core clock on the gpu slowly to 1700mhz first than to 1450mhz

I will try out a fan that would hit the gpu as you wrote it. I just don't have high hopes for that

Thanks nonetheless!

Check your case airflow. I don't think changing the paste will make much difference.

5 hours ago, lafrente said:

Check your case airflow. I don't think changing the paste will make much difference.

Well after reading your comment I was like: pff suuuuure, it will not affect anything at all HOW WRONG WAS I!

Thank you!!! it fixed my temp problem, the card working perfectly! Better look for a new case it looks like