BUILD UPGRADE

alvez

Hello guys!

So I have been thinking of upgrading my build for some time now but I have been thinking of upgrading the CPU/MOBO and GPU.

I am from Portugal and I don't want to upgrade everything, mainly wany to upgrade one of those I mentioned.😀

• MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

• AMD Ryzenâ„¢ 5 3600X @ 3.8 GHz

• Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II280

• ASUS TUF Gaming X3 GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPERâ„¢ OC Edition

• Corsair TX 650M 80+ Gold

• Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung PM981 512GB NVMe + Crucial MX100 256GB

• G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) DDR4 @ 3600MHz CL18 16GB

What you think that would be a smart upgrade?

Thanks!

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB | Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

3 minutes ago, alvez said:

Hello guys!

So I have been thinking of upgrading my build for some time now but I have been thinking of upgrading the CPU/MOBO and GPU.

• MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

What you think that would be a smart upgrade?

Thanks!

how much do you have to spend? Also what country are you situated in?

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list: 

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

how much do you have to spend? Also what country are you situated in?

Just edited 😀

I am from Portugal and I don't want to upgrade everything, mainly wany to upgrade one of those I mentioned.

| Case: Cooler Master Elite 371 | Cpu: i5 4690K @ 4.20 GHz | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 |

| Gpu: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | SSD: Crucial MX100 256 GB | HDD: Samsung 128GB | Ram: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | 

| Screen: Benq XL2411Z | Mouse: Logitech G 403 | Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ NiP Edition | Keyboard: Steelseries 6GV2 | Headset: Kingston Hyper X Cloud |

Just now, alvez said:

Just edited 😀

I am from Portugal and I don't want to upgrade everything, mainly wany to upgrade one of those I mentioned.

Possible just to upgrade to 5800x 3D if the b450 supports it and spent the rest on the GPU.

Heck i would be tempted to put it all on GPU and see how you do with th 3600x.

Unless you use the pc for work?

1 minute ago, alvez said:

Just edited 😀

your cpu and mobo are good for now as their still good contenders. woudln't upgrade ram or psu either. Best bet is the gpu then. But if you have more to spend, you could spring for a new mobo (b550), a 5800x3d and a new gpu.

All of this is in the link below (only if you have the money ofc) https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/list/QbJwH2

if you don't want to spend so much tho then just get a new gpu https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/list/8NrXH2

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list: 

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

11 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

Possible just to upgrade to 5800x 3D if the b450 supports it and spent the rest on the GPU.

Heck i would be tempted to put it all on GPU and see how you do with th 3600x.

Unless you use the pc for work?

Just gaming and solely for that honestly!

11 minutes ago, filpo said:

your cpu and mobo are good for now as their still good contenders. woudln't upgrade ram or psu either. Best bet is the gpu then. But if you have more to spend, you could spring for a new mobo (b550), a 5800x3d and a new gpu.

All of this is in the link below (only if you have the money ofc) https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/list/QbJwH2

if you don't want to spend so much tho then just get a new gpu https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/list/8NrXH2

Thanks for your help! Yes, if I can, Id do the b550+5900x+6700xt as I was thinking on that! Now I am thinking of the "do I want to spend that much" or "do I just go for the GPU for now" hehe

4 minutes ago, alvez said:

With the world of GPUs now i would rather put "everything" into the gpu to get a good one.

What display have you got? 1080p 1440p?

14 minutes ago, alvez said:

Cpu heavy games, gpu heavy games, or a mix of both?

If its cpu heavy games a 5700x or 5800x3d is a good drop in upgrade, board swapping is pointless

If its gpu heavy then swap the gpu out for something better, idk what budget you got but theres lots of big discounts going for a used gpu over a new gpu so id reccomend used over new gpus as always

If you find youself maxing out your rams then selling that 16gb kit and buying the cheapest 32gb 3200c16/3600c18 will suffice. Dont fall for the fast rams idiot trap since thats gated behind overclocking

40 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

With the world of GPUs now i would rather put "everything" into the gpu to get a good one.

What display have you got? 1080p 1440p?

1080p 144hz

31 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Cpu heavy games, gpu heavy games, or a mix of both?

If its cpu heavy games a 5700x or 5800x3d is a good drop in upgrade, board swapping is pointless

If its gpu heavy then swap the gpu out for something better, idk what budget you got but theres lots of big discounts going for a used gpu over a new gpu so id reccomend used over new gpus as always

If you find youself maxing out your rams then selling that 16gb kit and buying the cheapest 32gb 3200c16/3600c18 will suffice. Dont fall for the fast rams idiot trap since thats gated behind overclocking

Will be playing csgo and cs2 when it launches basicaly.

Used GPUs in Portugal are not so cheap but I will check! I am always afraid of GPU's used for mining or bad use. Any advice?

You sure that I should not swap the board when upgrading even to a 5900x for example? I heard that the VRM's would not like the heat eheh. Any advice here also?

Thanks alot!

11 minutes ago, alvez said:

Used GPUs in Portugal are not so cheap but I will check! I am always afraid of GPU's used for mining or bad use. Any advice?

Miner gpus >>> gamer gpus because games treat theyre gpus like crap, suffocating them is hotbox cases with no airflow, letting dust build up on the gpu, no undervolting, heck even smoking around the pc or pet hairs getting into the gpus unlike miners where they keep gpus in cool environements with sufficient airflow and undervolt them

12 minutes ago, alvez said:

You sure that I should not swap the board when upgrading even to a 5900x for example? I heard that the VRM's would not like the heat eheh. Any advice here also?

B450 tomahawk has pretty good vrms and should be fine for a 5900x, you can always just strap a fan onto the vrms if you arent comfortable with vrm temps (should be fine up to around 105-115c but prefer <80c)

17 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Miner gpus >>> gamer gpus because games treat theyre gpus like crap, suffocating them is hotbox cases with no airflow, letting dust build up on the gpu, no undervolting, heck even smoking around the pc or pet hairs getting into the gpus unlike miners where they keep gpus in cool environements with sufficient airflow and undervolt them

B450 tomahawk has pretty good vrms and should be fine for a 5900x, you can always just strap a fan onto the vrms if you arent comfortable with vrm temps (should be fine up to around 105-115c but prefer <80c)

Thats a good point on the minner GPUs, thanks!

Regarding the B450 I have a good airflow I guess, 2 push in the from trought the AIO, 2 pulling out in the upper part of the case and 01 pushing out in the back.

Do you think I need more air? Also Can I check VRM temps? 

Thanks alot

123.png.08e94fd2df97efc2613a0a5a60f7655e.png

8 minutes ago, alvez said:

Thats a good point on the minner GPUs, thanks!

Regarding the B450 I have a good airflow I guess, 2 push in the from trought the AIO, 2 pulling out in the upper part of the case and 01 pushing out in the back.

Do you think I need more air? Also Can I check VRM temps? 

Thanks alot

123.png.08e94fd2df97efc2613a0a5a60f7655e.png

Flip the top fans to be intake

Also what case? Cause the case in that photo looks to be a solid front hotbox with no airflow

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Flip the top fans to be intake

Also what case? Cause the case in that photo looks to be a solid front hotbox with no airflow

Will do that! I will check if the top ones are not intake.

Its a Phanteks P360X, not to bad right?

2 minutes ago, alvez said:

Will do that! I will check if the top ones are not intake.

Its a Phanteks P360X, not to bad right?

God awful like every other solid front case, though the naming implies that you may be able to swap the front panel for a mesh one like the g360a

If there are no mesh front panels available then simply taking off the sidepanel will fix temps, fans wont be neccesary either cause you are effectively running an open bench with the sidepanel off

7 hours ago, alvez said:
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

Id still press for budget here, because this can go a lot of way. The most cost effective one would be to go with a 5600 non X as you are just playing the most CPU bottlenecked game in the world. Also, if you dont mind to tweak, try to manually hit the RAM with more voltage to get the 3600C18 down to 3600C16.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

16 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

God awful like every other solid front case, though the naming implies that you may be able to swap the front panel for a mesh one like the g360a

If there are no mesh front panels available then simply taking off the sidepanel will fix temps, fans wont be neccesary either cause you are effectively running an open bench with the sidepanel off

will try, as far as I can see, the front case is only compatible with the p400 models.

11 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

Id still press for budget here, because this can go a lot of way. The most cost effective one would be to go with a 5600 non X as you are just playing the most CPU bottlenecked game in the world. Also, if you dont mind to tweak, try to manually hit the RAM with more voltage to get the 3600C18 down to 3600C16.

Budget might be arround 400€. Well, yes I know that for a fact but, game engine is about to change in the next months as in the summer csgo will basicly go away and CS2 will replace it so I think it will get to be less cpu bond? Well see..