MSI B560M-A pro only boots to bios

greglaz

Hello have been trying to fix a computer for a friend but having some problems. Initially his power supply died and he was unable to turn his pc on at all after checking it out and testing with a spare we replaced the power supply and everything seemed to work. Later when he got home he found that the USB 3 ports where dead and his modem had also died. As the pc was fairly old we replaced the remaining parts but kept the video card as it was still working with no faults.

we currently have a MSI B560M-A Pro a core I5 10400F 16GB DDR4 3200 kits of ram a Corsair 750w power supply and a WD 500GB nvme m.2 drive.

got it all together no problems but not the pc will only boot to bios. I have tried removing all the old drives and just using the m.2 and it won’t even show up in the bios menu. If I plug if a windows install usb it will let me start the install process but then no drives will show up at all

So if i understand you correctly, both the m.2, aswell as the SATA drives, aren't showing up.

May i ask, without judging, wether you bought this motherboard new or used?

Used always has a risk, and i wouldn't be surprised, that if its used, its just straight up borked.

Yeah both drives won’t show up install, i connected the m.2 via an adapter to my pc and it showed up and I set it up. Now it shows in bios but that’s all. The board is brand new

By m.2 adapter, you mean a pci card that has a m.2 slot?

EDIT:

Also, by "bios menu", do you mean the actual bios, or the one-time boot menu, because it would make sense for it, to now show up in the one-time boot men.

Also, can you test to see, if CSM is enabled in the bios, and if not, please enable it, and see if the drives show up after saving, and rebooting.

Sorry don't know how to delete a reply, if even possible.

New to the whole forum thing lol.

You say the USB 3 ports failed and you replaced them? Did you replace the Motherboard? 

You also mention the Modem not working, I am not sure what that has to do with your computer? It would only apply to an internet connection.

If the M.2 is not being recognized in the Bios, then Reseat it into the motherboard. If it is recognized in the Bios but not in the Windows Installer, then add the IRST driver to the Windows Installer USB Flash drive. 

In Where Would You Like to Install Windows? Browse for the IRST driver on the Flash Drive.  

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

13 minutes ago, ShadowDog said:

By m.2 adapter, you mean a pci card that has a m.2 slot?

EDIT:

Also, by "bios menu", do you mean the actual bios, or the one-time boot menu, because it would make sense for it, to now show up in the one-time boot men.

Also, can you test to see, if CSM is enabled in the bios, and if not, please enable it, and see if the drives show up after saving, and rebooting.

I used one of the ROG m.2 enclosures to connect it. No one time boot menu just straight to bios.unfortunately I’m not working on it at the moment but will be later what is CSM?

12 minutes ago, spunk.funk said:

You say the USB 3 ports failed and you replaced them? Did you replace the Motherboard? 

You also mention the Modem not working, I am not sure what that has to do with your computer? It would only apply to an internet connection.

If the M.2 is not being recognized in the Bios, then Reseat it into the motherboard. If it is recognized in the Bios but not in the Windows Installer, then add the IRST driver to the Windows Installer USB Flash drive. 

In Where Would You Like to Install Windows? Browse for the IRST driver on the Flash Drive.  

Yeah I replaced the board and had to replace everything else as it was old and could not get a new board to suit. We believe the power supply surged and that is what has damaged the modem and the board. The modem is not really part of the problem just for context as to what happened 

2 minutes ago, greglaz said:

I used one of the ROG m.2 enclosures to connect it. No one time boot menu just straight to bios.unfortunately I’m not working on it at the moment but will be later what is CSM?

CSM stands for Compatibility Support Module, and is a feature, that in certain cases (certain motherboards), is required to be enabled, for sata storage to be detected, and most definitely won't hurt at least trying.

It is a setting somewhere located in your bios, which i can sadly not tell you where, because every bios, is pretty much different.

Most bios, nowadays have a search feature, where you might very well find it, and if not, just search for it manually 🙂

Again, make sure tho, to reboot and save the bios settings, after enabling CSM, cuz otherwise the SSD drives, definitely won't show up.

I can try this later there is a search function so I can check. My next step was to try putting my m.2 boot drive into this board and seeing if it works a putting the new m.2 into mine but I am hesitant to do this

1 minute ago, greglaz said:

I can try this later there is a search function so I can check. My next step was to try putting my m.2 boot drive into this board and seeing if it works a putting the new m.2 into mine but I am hesitant to do this

I would call that a valid troubleshooting method for sure (swapping hardware).

I wouldn't worry about your own motherboard, when just swapping an m.2.

Also.. search functions in bios, are usually not too great, so you might have to find it yourself manually, cuz your motherboard most definitely has the option for CSM.

I am not sure, wether enabling CSM, will fix the m.2 issue, but its at least worth checking for the SATA issue.

Sadly, i wouldn't be surprised if its already enabled tho, and would be very surprised, if it isn't.

Okay I will try the drive swap then I can do the install on my computer and swap it back if needs be thanks

On 3/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, ShadowDog said:

I would call that a valid troubleshooting method for sure (swapping hardware).

I wouldn't worry about your own motherboard, when just swapping an m.2.

Also.. search functions in bios, are usually not too great, so you might have to find it yourself manually, cuz your motherboard most definitely has the option for CSM.

I am not sure, wether enabling CSM, will fix the m.2 issue, but its at least worth checking for the SATA issue.

Sadly, i wouldn't be surprised if its already enabled tho, and would be very surprised, if it isn't.

So I have tried putting the drive into my pc and it wouldn’t work. It came up but would not let me use it for windows. I had another m.2 laying around got windows installed and working on it with my pc and then when I put it in the other it says it can’t use that boot device 

Not sure is I have made progress but I currently have an m.2 drive with no OS on it and an ssd plugged in. When I use a windows install usb I can get to windows install. But can’t install at all the drives don’t show.

I did as suggested above and enabled CSM if I install it on another computer and the. Move the drive I get a error staying inaccessible boot drive.

if I got into repair windows I can get to the CMD as the windows site says and get the following results

76304DF1-9188-40B3-8295-53D0F266FF09.jpeg