Bios works, windows does not

tg890tg

Hi. For the past 9 days, I’ve been having problems with my PC. I originally built it in October of 2022. Here were the specs:

i3 12100F

Se-214-XT Argb

RTX 2080 Founders Edition

Asus Prime B660M-A DDR4

Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 watts

Silicon Power Turbine 2x8 16GB 3200MHz Cl16 DDR4

Sandisk Ultra 3D 1 TB (Sata)

In January of 2023, I upgraded my CPU to an i5-13600K. Last Thursday is when the problems arose. I was editing a video in Davinci Resolve. I always use MSI Afterburner’s RivaTuner statistics so I can monitor my hardware usage. My CPU usage went up to about 70% for a second, and then my PC froze crashed. I went into event viewer and it said “WHEA fatal hardware error”. I thought it might have been a one-time issue and that I would be fine after that. I started playing some Minecraft, with OBS studio replay buffer enabled at 1440p 165 fps (x264 low CPU usage, high file size). Windows froze and crashed again. I started up Minecraft and OBS again. It crashed about an hour and a half later, again. I ended up deciding to reinstall windows to see if that solves any problems. Unfortunately, I forgot to back up my files, meaning I don’t have the minidumps (sorry…). It continued to freeze and crash. Today, I have replaced the motherboard with a Gigabyte Z690 UD D4. Instead of freezing and crashing, it gives me a blue screen error immediately with the Stopcode “WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR”. Keep in mind it doesn’t take me to the windows Lock Screen. It goes straight from the bios to the blue screen. I have tried using one ram stick at a time for both RAM sticks, meaning either both of them are defective, or neither is and the problem is something else. I don’t have any spare hardware as I sold my old i3 12100f. I still have the ASUS motherboard, but I think we’ve determined that the problem isn’t the motherboard and preferably, I don’t have to go through the whole motherboard replacement process as that takes hours. I’m pretty sure the problem is either in the PSU, GPU, or CPU, but I’m not sure how to decide which one it is.
Now, here’s the weird thing. For both the ASUS and Gigabyte motherboard, the BIOS would work completely fine, but as soon as I tried to boot into windows, it would not work.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated greatly!!

It might be the GPU. Remove the graphics card, try using integrated graphics as your GPU. Also just in case, clear the CMOS (take out the battery on the motherboard, then put it back in).

Also what about your temps? What are your temps on the 13600k and your RTX 2080? if they are above 90, you should be worried.

Sorry if i missed it, but did you update your BIOS to work with the 13th gen CPU? A 600 series motherboard needs that BIOS update for 13th gen.

12 hours ago, Harmsway1283 said:

Sorry if i missed it, but did you update your BIOS to work with the 13th gen CPU? A 600 series motherboard needs that BIOS update for 13th gen.

Yes, the bios is fully updated.

12 hours ago, aren332 said:

It might be the GPU. Remove the graphics card, try using integrated graphics as your GPU. Also just in case, clear the CMOS (take out the battery on the motherboard, then put it back in).

Also what about your temps? What are your temps on the 13600k and your RTX 2080? if they are above 90, you should be worried.

Hi. I don’t monitor my cpu temps, but I do monitor my GPU temps and they’re usually totally fine. My cpu usually boosts to about 5-5.1 ghz, so I think that means the temps are fine? My cpu cooler doesn’t usually get too loud, so I don’t think the cpu is overwhelming it. I leave my side panel in my case removed as well, just to optimize airflow.

I tried removing the GPU to try using the integrated graphics on the cpu, but I’m still having the exact same problem.

2 hours ago, tg890tg said:

Hi. I don’t monitor my cpu temps, but I do monitor my GPU temps and they’re usually totally fine. My cpu usually boosts to about 5-5.1 ghz, so I think that means the temps are fine? My cpu cooler doesn’t usually get too loud, so I don’t think the cpu is overwhelming it. I leave my side panel in my case removed as well, just to optimize airflow.

I tried removing the GPU to try using the integrated graphics on the cpu, but I’m still having the exact same problem.

whea is usually a driver issue.. 

have you tried reinstalling on same or another disk? 

nm .. failing hardware. The WHEA uncorrectable error is a stop code displayed during blue screen crashes and is usually due to hardware failure. A failing hard drive, defective memory, improperly seated CPU, and a variety of other hardware issues can all result in a WHEA uncorrectable error.