Strange CPU behavior while gaming.

Go to solution Solved by jchenabc,

FOUND THE CAUSE! 

I had my game installed on a different drive than the boot drive. The high CPU usage happens when the game is compiling shaders. It is suppose to load shaders only for first launch. However, for whatever reason, AMD shader cache doesn't work when the game is not install on the boot drive. 

After I move the game to the boot drive, cleared shaders, i no longer have the issue after it compile the shaders. 

I am running a i5-9600K OC to 4.3GHz, and recently upgraded from a RTX 2070 to a RX 7900 XTX. It was the only card that can fit into my sff build. 

I am seeing this strange behavior. where on a simple game like OW2, the CPU will get pin at 100% at launch, and I can only get around 60 fps. After a few minutes, it will sometimes go back to normal 40% load on the CPU, and my FPS will cap out at 144FPS. (display locked) Mind you this happens regardless of what setting I am on. 1440p or 4K, High, ultra or epic graphics setting. 

The 7900 xtx stayed pretty cool the whole time, never get over 50% load.  You can see the afterburner graphic, game started around the mark. as soon as the CUP is no longer at 100%, the FPS picked right up. I not entirely sure what is going on. I even reseated my CPU cooler (Noctua NH-U9S), it runs a little hot with the new GPU, but nothing crazy around 60-70s under load. Updated BIOS on the board. Not exactly sure what is going on here. Is the new AMD card just not playing nice with the older intel platform? 100% CPU usage also show up on other games like apex, cod, and they sometimes run fine at 100+ fps too. 

Screenshot 2023-03-24 233810.png

What's the CPU usage per core.

Did you use DDU to remove the GeForce driver?

Something in me says the 9600K is a massive bottleneck for a 7900XTX.

17 hours ago, --SID-- said:

What's the CPU usage per core.

Did you use DDU to remove the GeForce driver?

Something in me says the 9600K is a massive bottleneck for a 7900XTX.

I did use DDU to remove Nvdia driver. The strangest part is the game will be fine after a while when CPU usage drops to normal. I ended up resetting OC on the CPU, and lower the frequency a bit, and it is back in business. Really odd. OW2 at 4k only take up 20-40%. 

I fully realize the CPU is a bit old at this point. But it should be able to handle the game I play for the time being. My last CPU (i5-750) lasted a good 9 years and 4GPU upgrades. Fully intend to ride this one to the dust as well. Hope no one else get this problem. Undo OC, and figure it out again.

• 3 weeks later...

FOUND THE CAUSE! 

I had my game installed on a different drive than the boot drive. The high CPU usage happens when the game is compiling shaders. It is suppose to load shaders only for first launch. However, for whatever reason, AMD shader cache doesn't work when the game is not install on the boot drive. 

After I move the game to the boot drive, cleared shaders, i no longer have the issue after it compile the shaders.