GTX/RTX and Quadro/Tesla in the same come computer

RPK_R5
Go to solution Solved by inzi,

I was able to get this to work yesterday!

With an RTX Geforce 3080TI I was able to get it to work with a P40 gpu in nvidia-smi at the same time

What I had to do was 3 steps:
1. Launch the computer with default graphics card after installing both cards

2. Go to nvidia website and download DATACENTER/TESLA latest drivers, using default settings on their install tool. Restart Computer

3. go to nvidia website and download the normal 3080TI drivers, using default settings and restart computer

Right now with testing on an A4000(removing the 3080ti) this method worked aswell replacing the A4000 driver with the 3080ti in the process

Edit: for records state this was Tesla/data center driver v 528.x and 3080ti/A4000 driver v 531.x

Does anybody know what drivers to use so I can get a 1080 or a 2080 to to work with a tesla M40 in the same system? Currently using a quadro with a Tesla M40 but I want to upgrade the quadro without paying the quadro tax again. Is there any way to mod the drivers so they pick up the gtx or RTX card as a quadro? 

nope it doesn't work that way. thought I didn't know that the tesla cards required a Quadro to do anything. The studio drivers for Geforce cards has all the stability built in but it can't add hardware features that aren't in the silicon so spoofing drivers could lead to some bad crashes and bugs when it tries to compute stuff in cuda with unsupported precisions

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

With an RTX Geforce 3080TI I was able to get it to work with a P40 gpu in nvidia-smi at the same time

2. Go to nvidia website and download DATACENTER/TESLA latest drivers, using default settings on their install tool. Restart Computer

3. go to nvidia website and download the normal 3080TI drivers, using default settings and restart computer

Right now with testing on an A4000(removing the 3080ti) this method worked aswell replacing the A4000 driver with the 3080ti in the process

Edit: for records state this was Tesla/data center driver v 528.x and 3080ti/A4000 driver v 531.x

34 minutes ago, inzi said:

Right now with testing on an A4000 this method worked aswell replacing the A4000 driver with the 3080ti in the process

Ow cool thanks very much. Since you have a tesla p40 could you tell me if I can change these two parameters in Nvidia smi? I want to set gom to 0 and dm to 0.

IMG_20230323_200629.jpg

4 hours ago, RPK_R5 said:

Ow cool thanks very much. Since you have a tesla p40 could you tell me if I can change these two parameters in Nvidia smi? I want to set gom to 0 and dm to 0.

IMG_20230323_200629.jpg

I don't know the answer to this, I got it off eBay just the other day. 

I don't know what 99% of the buttons on Nvidia smi even mean tbh

I was able to get both GPUs firing in pytorch however out of the box

7 hours ago, inzi said:

I don't know the answer to this, I got it off eBay just the other day. 

I don't know what 99% of the buttons on Nvidia smi even mean tbh

I was able to get both GPUs firing in pytorch however out of the box

Would be nice if you could check this out, not many people know anything about these and the manual is not really specifying weather it's possible or not.