In need of advice for my new gaming build

frekkas

Budget (including currency): Around 4800 USD (50 000 NOK)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mostly gaming, MMOs, MOBAs, CS:GO, some triple A - games here and there. 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi all,

I'm currently in the middle of planning a personal build, and some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I'm Norwegian, so while the Norwegian PCPartPicker-lists doesn't contain all of the stores I would consider buying from, it should give an adequate idea of the price of each component in my market.

Secondly, I don't really have a budget per say. I have about 50 000 NOK (4800 USD) at my disposal, with the possibility of adding more if needed, but mostly I'm looking for advice in regards to how much of these funds I realistically would have to use before I start seeing noticeable diminishing returns.

I'm pretty set on a few items:
Monitor: Samsung Neo G9 (15 000 NOK / 1435 USD) This is kind of the type of monitor I've been wanting to try for a couple of years now, so unless you are really against it, parts of the available funds would go towards this monitor.
Case: O11 Dynamic EVO (1 790 NOK / 173 USD) Mostly because I think it looks really cool, and because I like having the option of reversing the case layout, seeing as the system will be situated on my left side.

I'm also leaning heavily towards a 360mm AIO, I've looked at the Arctic II, and also at something like the Asus Ryujin II (mostly because I find the LCD-screen cool, admittedly)

Other than that, I'm really open to advice; AMD5 vs LGA1700, Ryzen 7000-series vs 4000's of Nvidia, etc.

I'm currently running an i5 4690k and a GTX 980ti, so basically anything would be an upgrade, but it also kind of portrays an accurate image of me as a person who likes to buy a good system, that's low maintenance and can last for some time without needing continuous upgrading. 

As previously stated, I'm kind of in a place where I feel like I could buy mostly anything, but don't want to use money on what would be considered overkill.

My use cases would be mostly gaming. (CSGO, some MMOs, DOTA, and maybe the odd AAA title here and there) I have a PS5 that I use to play most of my games like Hogwarts Legacy, Assassins Creed, God of War etc. but I don't want my PC to be a limiting factor in me joining some friends that suddenly start playing a new game, like i.e. Destiny 2 or something.

At this point I have been considering most of the newly released components, and with the prices listed below, found that maybe i7 13700K with a 4070 ti on a DDR5 motherboard is a good choice? (However, a good argument on your part could easily change my mind)

Some price examples of the cheaper alternatives (if any) of these models in my market:

CPU:

i5-13600k = 3 990 NOK (381 USD)
i7-13700k = 5 268 NOK (504 USD)

7700X = 4 295 NOK (411 USD)
7900X = 5 485 NOK (525 USD)

GPU:

4070 ti = 11 000 NOK (1052 USD)
4080 = 15 000 NOK (1435 USD)

RX 7900 xt = 11 000 NOK (1052 USD)
RX 7900 xtx = 14 000 NOK (1340 USD)

PS: there are usually no discounts on older gen GPUs, 3090 is the same price as a 4090

With these prices in mind, and with the prices you're able to find on other components on PCPP, what would your advice be?

Thanks in advance :)

Either a 13600k or 13700k would be fine, but don't get the 4070 Ti. A lot of people say it's better off being avoided.  If you want lower power draw and heat, though, go with AMD. Get the 4080 or one of the AMDs. Also, the 7950x3d is amazing if you want to consider it. Kitgurutech reviewed it so check that out.

Of course, go with DDR5. High MT/s (mislabeled MHz) and as low of CL as is possible as long as the RAM kit is on the QVL for your new mobo. 

The Arctic II is good but there are better ones. Again, KitGuruTech has a series of videos on AIOs and you'll be able to see what's best. One is an EKWB.

Are you looking for useless flashing lights? If not, then you probably don't have to spend your budget.

For the PSU, look at the PSU Tiers List and choose from the A tier. I can't speak to wattage as you need to choose first. 

Don't forget storage. Given your gaming penchant, don't get less than 2TB, although a smaller one for the boot drive is good.

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

10 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Get the 4080 or one of the AMDs.

ye get the 7900 xt if you can't go above 800 us equivalent or 7900 xtx 1000us equivalent

11 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

For the PSU, look at the PSU Tiers List and choose from the A tier. I can't speak to wattage as you need to choose first. 

better to get something with transient loads and can't go wrong with corsair's x series

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 minutes ago, filpo said:

better to get something with transient loads and can't go wrong with corsair's x series

Do you mean a PSU that handles transients well?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

20 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Either a 13600k or 13700k would be fine, but don't get the 4070 Ti. A lot of people say it's better off being avoided.  If you want lower power draw and heat, though, go with AMD. Get the 4080 or one of the AMDs. Also, the 7950x3d is amazing if you want to consider it. Kitgurutech reviewed it so check that out.

Hmm.. ok, so at the prices I've listed in my first post, which of the GPUs would you say provides the best value? 

As for the 7950x3d, its about $870 USD in my country. I'm not sure if that is great value for my use case or not, maybe something like the 7800x3d would be a better shout, although I have no information about pricing yet.

15 minutes ago, filpo said:

ye get the 7900 xt if you can't go above 800 us equivalent or 7900 xtx 1000us equivalent

I mean, I'm in a position where I could buy any of the mentioned GPUs, but I don't want to overspend on components that are "overkill" for my usage. At the GPU-prices I have listed in my post, what would be your choice of GPU?

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Do you mean a PSU that handles transients well?

ye sorry 

Current parts list

1 hour ago, frekkas said:

I mean, I'm in a position where I could buy any of the mentioned GPUs, but I don't want to overspend on components that are "overkill" for my usage. At the GPU-prices I have listed in my post, what would be your choice of GPU?

if your playing at 4k over 1440 then go with the 7900xtx but if its 1440 your playing at go for the 7900 xt. Both are exceptionally good

Current parts list

8 minutes ago, filpo said:

ye sorry 

So which A tier PSU would you suggest?

13 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

So which A tier PSU would you suggest?

whichever is cheapest 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Just now, Failure 101 said:

whichever is cheapest 

Context: @filposuggested choosing a PSU that handles transients well. 

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

Context: @filposuggested choosing a PSU that handles transients well. 

just get ANY A tier psu from the cultists tier list they all handle transients well

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.