Power Supply

ForgottenTheory
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Are you having trouble with the cables that plug in to the power supply side or the computer side?

The RM850x and RM850e use the same type of cables. Guides for the RMx should apply to the RMe as well. The slots on the power supply are labelled with which cables go where.

Keep in mind if you are replacing another power supply you won't be able to use the old cables on the new power supply. You have to use the cables the power supply came with. Different brands/models can use different cables that aren't compatible.

Hi, I am very very new to all of this. My brother had put together my PC and just recently my power supply crashed. I had purchased a new one without looking into what I was getting and now I don't know exactly how to hook it back up and if it'll work. I purchased a corsair 850e, I tried using Google but I only see pictures and videos for the corsair 850x.. I'm sure it works I just need to figure out where to plug it in the slots.

Are you having trouble with the cables that plug in to the power supply side or the computer side?

The RM850x and RM850e use the same type of cables. Guides for the RMx should apply to the RMe as well. The slots on the power supply are labelled with which cables go where.

Keep in mind if you are replacing another power supply you won't be able to use the old cables on the new power supply. You have to use the cables the power supply came with. Different brands/models can use different cables that aren't compatible.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

It can cause permanent damage to PC parts 😄 

2 hours ago, ForgottenTheory said:

Hi, I am very very new to all of this. My brother had put together my PC and just recently my power supply crashed. I had purchased a new one without looking into what I was getting and now I don't know exactly how to hook it back up and if it'll work. I purchased a corsair 850e, I tried using Google but I only see pictures and videos for the corsair 850x.. I'm sure it works I just need to figure out where to plug it in the slots.

check the connectors on your motherboard 24 pin, eps power connector, any sata drives you have and any pcie power connectors for your gpu

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

On 3/22/2023 at 1:40 AM, Spotty said:

Okay makes sense now. So my power supply went out (the Corsair 750x) so I decided to get another one to replace it and ordered the Corsair 850e both fully modular. I thought it wouldn't matter so I decided to keep the cables and see about plugging them into the new power supply but the labels were different so I plugged them into the wrong slots. I tried looking up a YouTube video or whatever to hook it up properly, couldn't find one for the power supply I got. 

On 3/22/2023 at 4:10 AM, filpo said:

check the connectors on your motherboard 24 pin, eps power connector, any sata drives you have and any pcie power connectors for your gpu

Would I be able to use the same cables from my last power supply? Last one was Corsair 750x, new one is Corsair 850e. I'm only asking because I tried disconnecting the old cables but some were really stuck to the motherboard and I don't wanna break it.

2 hours ago, ForgottenTheory said:

Okay makes sense now. So my power supply went out (the Corsair 750x) so I decided to get another one to replace it and ordered the Corsair 850e both fully modular. I thought it wouldn't matter so I decided to keep the cables and see about plugging them into the new power supply but the labels were different so I plugged them into the wrong slots. I tried looking up a YouTube video or whatever to hook it up properly, couldn't find one for the power supply I got. 

Okay so.. I don't think the power supply is the problem anymore. I boot it up and it keeps going to the msi click bios 5 mode... I've tried many different methods on YouTube but nothing seems to be working. I don't think it's reading the proper hardrive that I downloaded windows on but idk how to do that exactly 

4 hours ago, ForgottenTheory said:

Would I be able to use the same cables from my last power supply? Last one was Corsair 750x, new one is Corsair 850e. I'm only asking because I tried disconnecting the old cables but some were really stuck to the motherboard and I don't wanna break it.

if you do this and use the same power cables from a different psu then you'll break all of your components

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)