Item recommendation

Fenrir8080

I am doing carpentry work in my house's TV console. The TV is going to be mounted on the wall and its cables will be going through the wall and coming out of a cable port hole below the tv.

I would like to have a device, something like a HDMI switch so that in future, If I have a new device to connect to my tv, I do not have to route the cable through the wall again. So basically, I want to run about 3 hdmi cables from my tv's 3 ports to this one device and I want to connect my devices to this device instead of my tv. But the catch is that when I want to change the source input of my tv, I want to do so with the tv's remote instead of a remote for this dedicated item. So this device should have 6 hdmi ports, 3 connected to the tv's 3 ports, and another 3, each of it connected to my 3 devices like cable tv and what not.

Is there such a device for this use case?

To add more clarity, I'm basically looking for a hdmi hub of sorts with the same number of ins and out. So 3 in to 3 out. with the 3 out connected to my tv's 3 different HDMI ports.

27 minutes ago, Fenrir8080 said:

To add more clarity, I'm basically looking for a hdmi hub of sorts with the same number of ins and out. So 3 in to 3 out. with the 3 out connected to my tv's 3 different HDMI ports.

You wont find one that would connect to 1 remote but you can either use an AV receiver or a KVM switch. It would merge the 3 outputs to 1 to your TV, then you can press the output switch on the receiver or KVM switch so it can seamlessly switches around it.

But really best thing would be for you to connect and run those 3 HDMI cables through a TV cabinet and label them, and make sure they have enough slack so gravity wont fuck you over and pulls it off the cabinet.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 hours ago, SorryClaire said:

You wont find one that would connect to 1 remote but you can either use an AV receiver or a KVM switch. It would merge the 3 outputs to 1 to your TV, then you can press the output switch on the receiver or KVM switch so it can seamlessly switches around it.

But really best thing would be for you to connect and run those 3 HDMI cables through a TV cabinet and label them, and make sure they have enough slack so gravity wont fuck you over and pulls it off the cabinet.

Ah I see. So I guess just having dangling hdmi cables is the way for me.

2 hours ago, Fenrir8080 said:

Ah I see. So I guess just having dangling hdmi cables is the way for me.

Look for a Samsung TV that comes with a "One Connect" box. It's basically what you're looking for, but it's not a common feature anymore. Essentially it takes all the inputs and routes them to a separate box through a single cable. It's only on the premium models for 2023. My 2016-era TV has it, which was not a flagship model. But that's what happens with technology: it gets cheaper or more expensive. I am not sure if the more affordable models have the proprietary connection and if you can simply buy the "One Connect" box separately.

6 hours ago, johnt said:

Look for a Samsung TV that comes with a "One Connect" box. It's basically what you're looking for, but it's not a common feature anymore. Essentially it takes all the inputs and routes them to a separate box through a single cable. It's only on the premium models for 2023. My 2016-era TV has it, which was not a flagship model. But that's what happens with technology: it gets cheaper or more expensive. I am not sure if the more affordable models have the proprietary connection and if you can simply buy the "One Connect" box separately.

Worth mentioning - one connect boxes do not have in-wall rated cables and you can’t buy the version that used to have in-wall rated cable anymore. 

IMO what I would do in a situation like yours is the following:

Run the same number of HDMI cables through the wall as your TV has built-in support for - Eg: If your TV has 3x HDMI inputs, run 3x HDMI cables.

I would add a Keystone plate on both sides of the cable run, and add HDMI couplers - this is purely for ease-of-use and visual aesthetics. Just cutting an open hole on both ends of the cable run would work as well. Though would recommend some kind of grommet to protect the cables.

I would then put an HDMI Switch on one of the cables coming out of the wall, not all of them. I'd then choose 2 devices to get Dedicated HDMI connections, and all the rest of the devices would go through the switch.

Note: An AV Receiver could double as an HDMI Switch here.

No, this would not allow you to seamlessly control inputs on the HDMI Switch via your TV remote. A solution like that doesn't really exist.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)