Is a soundcard worth it with the audio solution of the Gigabyte G.1 Sniper?

TPS_REPORT

My friend wants to get a soundcard for his new pc build. He just wants to listen to music (big music buff) and play games and he does no sound production.

I told him that with the audio solution of the G.1 Sniper Z87, it's not necessary. He is getting the Logitech G430 headset.

Wanted to get your opinion.

Thanks! :)

public static void main(String[] args){

System.out.println("Hello, World!");

}

IMO a sound card is the last thing you should buy unless you work with sound professionaly. The audio chip of modern motherboards is perfectly fine for most people. :)

He would be better buying a different pair of headphones or another headset in all honesty. it will do a lot more for sound quality than a soundcard.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

depends on the guys ears. if he cant tell the difference between 128kbps mp3 file from a lossless with a high end headphoneor even a normal headphone, no use use in upgrading it in the first place. maybe a bump in the equillizer settings is all he needs for a better sound experience! ^_^

a ninja always listens carefully :ph34r:

Details separate people.

That board has a decent onboard sound chip. Nowadays, dedicated sound cards are pretty much useless, unless you get a lower-end prebuilt PC from somebody like HP or Dell.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

As a music production student, I fully understand the concept of isolating the audio circuitry from the rest of the motherboard. I personally find my external sound card to give a greater quality of sound than the on-board solution of my Crosshair V Formula-Z. It also adds extra features such as better recording solutions. However for a standard gamer I couldn't justify the cost.

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

I personally have a G1 Sniper and a sound card but that was only to drive my V-Moda crossfade LP2s . They sounded like and Iphone speaker before I bought the sound card lol. Was probably overkill and could of just bought an external amp that was cheaper but oh well lol. In regards to the OP's question I dont believe he needs one at all. Its always an upgrade option if he wants one down the track.

Rig: Intel Core i5 3570k , 16GB Corsair Vengeance , Gigabyte G1. Sniper 3 , EVGA GTX780 SLI, Asus Xonar STX , Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 1TB WD BLACK , 1TB Seagate Barracuda , 4TB Seagate Barracuda

Monitors: X-STAR 30" 2560x1440 IPS

Peripherals: Logitech G9x Mouse, Corsair K9% RGB, Logitech Z623 Speakers, V-MODA Crossfade LP2's with Boom Pro Mic.

I personally have a G1 Sniper and a sound card but that was only to drive my V-Moda crossfade LP2s . They sounded like and Iphone speaker before I bought the sound card lol. Was probably overkill and could of just bought an external amp that was cheaper but oh well lol. In regards to the OP's question I dont believe he needs one at all. Its always an upgrade option if he wants one down the track.

Hey liking that build in your picture. The tubing from the cooler looks a bit off though. Have you thought of turning the radiator so the tubes are near the top?

I think he should be looking at a better headset, with the sound card being secondary.

I think he should be looking at a better headset, with the sound card being secondary.

You mean looking at real headphones and no soundcard? 

He is getting the Logitech G430 headset.

The usb adapter is the sound card, so an onboard/pci(e) sound card isn't and won't be used.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Hey liking that build in your picture. The tubing from the cooler looks a bit off though. Have you thought of turning the radiator so the tubes are near the top?

Yes, But unfortunately then the corsair logo will be upside down. I'd like a new cooler at some stage as that is a corsair h50 and doesnt perform any better than a decent air cooler. The joys of getting in on the AIO water cooling units when they first came to market.

Rig: Intel Core i5 3570k , 16GB Corsair Vengeance , Gigabyte G1. Sniper 3 , EVGA GTX780 SLI, Asus Xonar STX , Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, 1TB WD BLACK , 1TB Seagate Barracuda , 4TB Seagate Barracuda

Monitors: X-STAR 30" 2560x1440 IPS

Peripherals: Logitech G9x Mouse, Corsair K9% RGB, Logitech Z623 Speakers, V-MODA Crossfade LP2's with Boom Pro Mic.