10 Year old Rosewill PSU died (Time to upgrade)

My 10 year old Rosewill RD700 died last night. Now I'm in the market for a new power supply, It seems Corsair is the way to go. I have a 8700k stock clock, and a ASUS 1080 8GB. I don't have plans to upgrade either of those unless they die. 

The "How many watts do I need" thread points to a 550w+ would a RM650x be an okay choice? Or should I go higher? 

Rm650x would be a great choice imo. It’s a great psu, and leaves some room for upgrades if you change your mind(or a component dies). Only need to go higher if you plan on a higher end gpu like 3080 or higher.

9 minutes ago, yummiesttag said:

I don't have plans to upgrade either of those unless they die. 

They honestly can even run on 450W as long as it has good protection against power spike, but yeah 550-600 is good idea if you can afford it. CX550 is good enough for those tier of setups nowadays, also by Corsair. Just make sure youre avoiding the green label pre 2018 ones with all your might. Theyre still in stock to this day even though corsair never built it anymore and theyre viciously unreliable. Go for the grey label or newer. NZXT C series with Gold efficiency is also good pick for modular, same with Enermax Revolution D.F Platinum (1st gen not the Revolution D.F 2)

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

13 minutes ago, yummiesttag said:

My 10 year old Rosewill RD700 died last night. Now I'm in the market for a new power supply, It seems Corsair is the way to go. I have a 8700k stock clock, and a ASUS 1080 8GB. I don't have plans to upgrade either of those unless they die. 

The "How many watts do I need" thread points to a 550w+ would a RM650x be an okay choice? Or should I go higher? 

RM650X would be pretty good but RM750x being like $15 more only I'd rather get it

Above that (850W+) prices increase sharply

Or if you wanna go budget a CX550 would be enough

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

10 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

RM650X would be pretty good but RM750x being like $15 more only I'd rather get it

Above that (850W+) prices increase sharply

Or if you wanna go budget a CX550 would be enough

I looked at the 750 but it's not shipping via prime so it's going to take middle of next week.

If I can keep it under $150 I'll be happy.

5 minutes ago, yummiesttag said:

I looked at the 750 but it's not shipping via prime so it's going to take middle of next week.

Amazon Prime Cheese Strat :

Get via prime any cheap PSU that ships fast + the 750W one

Tomorrow you'll get the fast shipping cheap PSU and can use it up until you get the 750W one, then you reinstall and send back the cheap one to Amazon 🙂

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

2 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Amazon Prime Cheese Strat :

Get via prime any cheap PSU that ships fast + the 750W one

Tomorrow you'll get the fast shipping cheap PSU and can use it up until you get the 750W one, then you reinstall and send back the cheap one to Amazon 🙂

Would the 750 offer a better efficiency curve with my wattage? I mainly use the PC for gaming, light load work is done on a laptop. So if the tower is on, a game is being played.

1 hour ago, yummiesttag said:

Would the 750 offer a better efficiency curve with my wattage? I mainly use the PC for gaming, light load work is done on a laptop. So if the tower is on, a game is being played.

Maybe a bit, not sure it's noticeable...but main advantage is that it'll stand more upgrades in next years than a 650W one

4 hours ago, yummiesttag said:

Would the 750 offer a better efficiency curve with my wattage?

No. 8700K and GTX 1080 hardly go over 300w gaming load. 650w is totally fine, even a high-end 450w will do.