Help connecting subwoofer to amplifier

I am at the end of my rope here and I'm also annoyed at the lack of information in both my receiver's manual and online so please bear with me.

I have this amplifier; Sony STR-DN1080    https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDN1080-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B06XKRWWSG

And a friend sold me their subwoofer; WHARFEDALE PROGRAMME SUB   https://www.ror.ie/products/wharfedale-programme-sub-black-whaprogrammesub.html

The amplifier manual didn't state what cable I need to connect the subwoofer with, nor does it say if I need a passive or active subwoofer. But my friend assures me I don't need an active one, but then this thread seems to suggest the opposite. And also that I need an RCA plug to speaker cable adapter https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/how-to-connect-passive-subwoofer-to-sony-strdn1080.209710/

So I got a RCA plug to Speaker cable adapter, and it fits in the Sub Out of the amplifier, but I am not hearing anything from the sub no matter what I do. I've set it to 4.1, its main menu shows a subwoofer and I can even set the level of the subwoofer. My Windows audio output is set to 5.1.

When I use a multimeter to measure the current in the sub out cable, it's 0. When I measure the current in my front speaker cable it's non zero. So this to me suggests that the subwoofer isn't sending a signal to the sub out? It has 2 sub outs, and no where in the manual does it tell me why there are 2, and if I need 1 or 2 or both. But I've tried connecting the subwoofer cable to both sub outs and it doen't seem to work.

I was wondering if anyone here has any idea what's going on 😄  

Here is the manual for the amplifier btw. https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4686/1a5e9c2b4143ad36dd5cb360f2a11851/46865241M.pdf

The sub out has a "Monoaural audio cable" written on it, but my friend has no idea what that is, and also I asked at like 3 stores that sell audio gear about a "Monoaural audio cable" and they also didn't know what it was.

TLR; Connecting passive subwoofer to Sony STR-DN1080  with an RCA to speaker cable adapter and I've set the Sony to 4.1 but I don't hear anything from subwoofer

RCA Cables can't carry enough wattage to power a sub, so you will need a separate self-powered sub to run off that.

So if it's an RCA plug - Active Subwoofer, if it's not - passive subwoofer? Well at least I'm learning, thanks :)

Vocab time - your "amplifier" is more commonly referred to as an AVR (audio video receiver). It has an AMP, a DAC, and a bunch of other signal processing/DSP stuff in it. These are usually only designed to amplify normal speakers and NOT subwoofers. You'd either need an active subwoofer (has built in amplification and you plug it into the wall) or a passive subwoofer PLUS a subwoofer amplifier. 

----

RCA (ideally shielded coax) from SUB OUT on AVR to sound in on the sub. 

It sounds like you have a passive subwoofer though (i.e. you're not plugging it directly into wall power). If that is the case you'd need to get a subwoofer amplifier as well. 

I'd probably SKIP the whole ordeal and just buy an active subwoofer. The amps on those are sized to the needs of the unit and it's just generally a more elegant/idiot proof scenario. 
As an FYI, if the spec sheet is to be taken seriously that sub only goes down to 45Hz which isn't very low for a subwoofer. It looks like it's designed for amplifying voice/music and NOT going low and doing movies/games. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

On 3/11/2023 at 5:44 AM, cmndr said:

Vocab time - your "amplifier" is more commonly referred to as an AVR (audio video receiver). It has an AMP, a DAC, and a bunch of other signal processing/DSP stuff in it. These are usually only designed to amplify normal speakers and NOT subwoofers. You'd either need an active subwoofer (has built in amplification and you plug it into the wall) or a passive subwoofer PLUS a subwoofer amplifier. 

----

RCA (ideally shielded coax) from SUB OUT on AVR to sound in on the sub. 

It sounds like you have a passive subwoofer though (i.e. you're not plugging it directly into wall power). If that is the case you'd need to get a subwoofer amplifier as well. 

I'd probably SKIP the whole ordeal and just buy an active subwoofer. The amps on those are sized to the needs of the unit and it's just generally a more elegant/idiot proof scenario. 
As an FYI, if the spec sheet is to be taken seriously that sub only goes down to 45Hz which isn't very low for a subwoofer. It looks like it's designed for amplifying voice/music and NOT going low and doing movies/games. 

Thanks for the detailed reply! I've started trying to dispose of this sub on the second hand market and I'll buy a good active one eventually. I actually thought 45Hz isn't that low but my friend, who's advice I've now learned to take with a few grains of salt, assured me at the time that it's great.

Thanks again :)

3 hours ago, Mischievous said:

Thanks for the detailed reply! I've started trying to dispose of this sub on the second hand market and I'll buy a good active one eventually. I actually thought 45Hz isn't that low but my friend, who's advice I've now learned to take with a few grains of salt, assured me at the time that it's great.

Thanks again 🙂

45Hz is very poor for a subwoofer, among the worst I've seen that's not part of a budget $100ish soundbar kit where the soundbar itself only makes it to ~120Hz and the woofer module (I refuse to call it a sub since it technically doesn't really do sub-bass which is 60-20Hz) handles 120-50Hz or so. A GOOD subwoofer will go down to around 20Hz (so the wave lengths are 2x the size) and a budgety subwoofer (around $100-150 USD for a Dayton Sub 1000 or Dayton Sub 1200 on sale) will probably hit around 30Hz or so. 

A "good" set of bookshelf speakers that is designed to go low will hit 50-60hz before it starts dropping off. 
The JBL 530s for example have usable bass down to about 50Hz
JBL Studio 530 Speaker Monitor CEA-2034 spinorama Audio Measurements.png

There's arguments to be had for NOT using a subwoofer if the subwoofer doesn't handle low frequencies. Getting the speakers to sub to crossover well is its own issue for example. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800