RX6600 crashing on Doom Eternal

I recently bought an RX6600 to replace my GTX 1060 6GB. I'm not much of a gamer, not anymore, just bought it to play Doom Eternal every now and then. 

I had destroyed my 1060 with overclocking to help render times in Blender, and it would get extremely hot and loud playing any videogame that isn't solitaire. I'd set all of Doom Eternal's graphical settings to low/none and lowered my resolution to 1280x720 for it to give me good fps, be smooth enough. It looked pretty awful, but at least it was playable, not a single crash. On this new GPU, it crashes without exception every time I launch the game.

The first time it crashed was when I saw the raytracing pop-up, and before I could check the option to leave it as normal, it crashed. (as for "crashing", it's more the image turning static. The audio still plays, the game ISN'T "not responding" in the task manager, just a single frame of the videogame stuck on the screen, without crashing to desktop. I have to close the game manually.)

Now I've done some digging, updated my BIOS, applied fixes listed here (on github), tried undervolting, reinstalling the drivers with DDU. Nothing seems to help. Interestingly enough since applying the MPO FIXES it crashes not as quickly, but it crashes all the same, a little while into the game. I've never been able to play a full 30 minutes, but even if I did, I'm sure it would crash sooner or later past said mark. It might also be of note that I'd overclocked my monitor from 60Hz to 75Hz, then via Nvidia control panel, and now via CRU. 

all these years with the 1060 I hadn't experienced any issues like this. Whether this is AMD's fault, this particular GPU's, or my PC in general, I don't know. Even if something is wrong on my part, this made me appreciate my 1060 even more.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Edit: 

PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus x470-pro

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 MHz

Graphics card: MSI Radeon rx6600 mech 2x 8G

PSU: Unbranded 750W*

(*The issue could be because of the PSU. I had the option to buy an Asus 650W, or this, saving around 100$. Probably should've gone with Asus. That said, after enabling Resizable Bar the crashing seems to have stopped (alongside a couple of other software tweaks, and reinserting the GPU and the 8pin connector, not sure what exactly did the trick.). Regardless, will check with another PSU, and report back, Resizable Bar off.)

What are the rest of your system specs including exact mobo model and psu model?

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

could be a not powerfull enough psu what modle do you have?

17 hours ago, TylerD321 said:

What are the rest of your system specs including exact mobo model and psu model?

16 hours ago, Tomberry said:

could be a not powerfull enough psu what modle do you have?

Please check update. Thank you.

2 hours ago, burningbush said:

Please check update. Thank you.

i would get a new psu if it is unbraded. having a bad psu means that your while system could break

On 3/2/2023 at 11:47 PM, TylerD321 said:

On 3/3/2023 at 6:56 PM, Tomberry said:

i would get a new psu if it is unbraded. having a bad psu means that your while system could break

Fixed.

The problem was indeed the PSU. However, not the brand, but the 8-pin connector. 

The pin is in fact a 6+2, and I had to join them together to make a unified x8 before plugging it into the GPU, rather than putting in the 6, and then somehow forcing in the 2... It's accompanied by a rather nice clicking sound once it's been singularised. 

So if anyone's having similar issues, it could be your power. 

On a side note, the GPU's default fan curve is rather overindulgent. The temp is the same (54-60°C) both at ~1400RPM and ~2200RPM, but the default curve always goes overboard to +2000. Lowering the maximum fan speed in AMD Adrenalin fixes the issue with no rise in temperature, however, I am wondering if something is broken, whether the hardware has issues that render it unable to detect the temperature. (in less demanding games, the fans are rather silent on default. 1000 - 1200RPM.)

Would you suggest having the card checked? or should I just leave it be? Some digging revealed the fans follow Junc. temp, which is understandably higher, but I don't think I should have to mess with the settings to get an acceptable, standard performance out of the card.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 11:30 PM, burningbush said:

Fixed.

The problem was indeed the PSU. However, not the brand, but the 8-pin connector. 

The pin is in fact a 6+2, and I had to join them together to make a unified x8 before plugging it into the GPU, rather than putting in the 6, and then somehow forcing in the 2... It's accompanied by a rather nice clicking sound once it's been singularised. 

So if anyone's having similar issues, it could be your power. 

On a side note, the GPU's default fan curve is rather overindulgent. The temp is the same (54-60°C) both at ~1400RPM and ~2200RPM, but the default curve always goes overboard to +2000. Lowering the maximum fan speed in AMD Adrenalin fixes the issue with no rise in temperature, however, I am wondering if something is broken, whether the hardware has issues that render it unable to detect the temperature. (in less demanding games, the fans are rather silent on default. 1000 - 1200RPM.)

Would you suggest having the card checked? or should I just leave it be? Some digging revealed the fans follow Junc. temp, which is understandably higher, but I don't think I should have to mess with the settings to get an acceptable, standard performance out of the card.

Hi I've had this thread bookmarked for a little bit and I thiiiink I'm having the same issue or at least very similar? I can play Doom Eternal for like 30 seconds before the screen freezes up but the music still plays meanwhile the task manager doesn't say it's not responding. Just took a look at how my PSU is plugged into my GPU  (pre-built PC), and it seems to be just as you said aka a 6 connector and 2 connector together. I made sure it was properly in and yet the problem is still persisting 😞. I'm not very PC savvy so really don't know what I'm doing.

Specs (hoping I don't forget anything relevant, again REALLY not PC savvy):

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

Graphics - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT

PSU - Thermaltake Smart BX1 650W

I'm kinda guessing the PSU just isn't good enough?

On 3/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, BlueVenator said:

Hi I've had this thread bookmarked for a little bit and I thiiiink I'm having the same issue or at least very similar? I can play Doom Eternal for like 30 seconds before the screen freezes up but the music still plays meanwhile the task manager doesn't say it's not responding. Just took a look at how my PSU is plugged into my GPU  (pre-built PC), and it seems to be just as you said aka a 6 connector and 2 connector together. I made sure it was properly in and yet the problem is still persisting 😞. I'm not very PC savvy so really don't know what I'm doing.

Specs (hoping I don't forget anything relevant, again REALLY not PC savvy):

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor

Graphics - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT

PSU - Thermaltake Smart BX1 650W

I'm kinda guessing the PSU just isn't good enough?

Hello.

No it oughta run fine. As stated, while power was the issue, it wasn't with the PSU itself. (for me.)

Also, your issue is not similar, it's exactly the issue I had. The power draw of RX6600 XT isn't that much higher from RX6600 either, at ~160W.

Try something, go to Doom again, max out the settings, uncap fps, and check your GPU's power consumption in AMD's performance overlay. (hotkey is CTRL+SHIFT+O, by default.).

Check Power and GPU utility. (GPU PWR, GPU UTIL%). Utility should be close to 100, and PWR should be above 100 if everything's maxed out. Check these and report back, but if their values are as they should be, then it's probably not your PSU.

On 3/31/2023 at 3:46 AM, burningbush said:

Hello.

No it oughta run fine. As stated, while power was the issue, it wasn't with the PSU itself. (for me.)

Also, your issue is not similar, it's exactly the issue I had. The power draw of RX6600 XT isn't that much higher from RX6600 either, at ~160W.

Try something, go to Doom again, max out the settings, uncap fps, and check your GPU's power consumption in AMD's performance overlay. (hotkey is CTRL+SHIFT+O, by default.).

Check Power and GPU utility. (GPU PWR, GPU UTIL%). Utility should be close to 100, and PWR should be above 100 if everything's maxed out. Check these and report back, but if their values are as they should be, then it's probably not your PSU.

GPU UTIL was 61% and GPU PWR was 36 w (I did fiddle with some amd settings and was running it on a lower screen resolution just so the bloody thing can run [still crashes tho]) , though I wouldn't doubt that I did something wrong lmaooo.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:29 PM, BlueVenator said:

GPU UTIL was 61% and GPU PWR was 36 w (I did fiddle with some amd settings and was running it on a lower screen resolution just so the bloody thing can run [still crashes tho]) , though I wouldn't doubt that I did something wrong lmaooo.

GPU PWR should probably be higher... Mine also drops to lower numbers but it's usually above 70.

Could you by any chance try with another PSU? You could try first with where you bought your PC. 

Before that though, try undervolting (Don't jump straight to 1080mV, it's recommended, but it might not be stable for you. Drop down by 10mV until it is). Might act as a band aid for the crashes, though if it is indeed your power being the problem, then even that is no permanent solution.