Something new

Hello forum!

I see a lot of threads about which case is best or best bang for your buck, but I have a different question in mind and maybe it will help others out in someway. What do you guys look for in a case? What do you research when building a new PC or upgrading from a previous one? Do you normally stick with one manufacturer or go for whatever is good?

The reason I asked is being so many good cases are out; the H440, 760T, 250D, etc. love to hear your guy's opinions!

Form factor

Aesthetics and cooling options

Build quality (is the manufacturer reputable?)

Cost doesn't come into it until the very end, because if the case shows good points and that it's worth the amount they're asking for it then I'd buy it.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

I just bought the h440, can't wait to move my build into it

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I look at the cooling, noise, expansion, aesthetics, and reviews. 

Form factor is part of aesthetics imo since the reason you'd want a fitting case is so that your don't get an awkward itx motherboard in a full tower kind of look. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Form factor

Aesthetics and cooling options

Build quality (is the manufacturer reputable?)

Cost doesn't come into it until the very end, because if the case shows good points and that it's worth the amount they're asking for it then I'd buy it.

I just bought the h440, can't wait to move my build into it

I look at the cooling, noise, expansion, aesthetics, and reviews. 

Form factor is part of aesthetics imo since the reason you'd want a fitting case is so that your don't get an awkward itx motherboard in a full tower kind of look. 

I agree with all those, but with so many options, it can be frustrating. I have an air 540 ( I don't like it sadly) and I am trying to research what to get, cause I plan on SLI with dual gtx 780's, and a custom water loop. So instead of asking "please pick a case for me" or "X vs Y?" type of style. I don't know why but I am a fan of Corsair cases, and I try not being a fan boy but I can't help it :P

I agree with all those, but with so many options, it can be frustrating. I have an air 540 ( I don't like it sadly) and I am trying to research what to get, cause I plan on SLI with dual gtx 780's, and a custom water loop. So instead of asking "please pick a case for me" or "X vs Y?" type of style. I don't know why but I am a fan of Corsair cases, and I try not being a fan boy but I can't help it :P

Nothing wrong with that, Corsair makes some quality stuff. Until something that looks as good and has such good build quality comes out I'm not stressed about being labelled a 'fanboy' :)

Honestly a 750D would do the job well. The Air 540 should do it well too. Why don't you like it?

Well, the only things that could make me upgrade from my current case is either having more money than sense or seeing on with a feature set that blows me away. The Enthoo Pro blows me away at the $100 price point. Really interested to see what Lux brings

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Nothing wrong with that, Corsair makes some quality stuff. Until something that looks as good and has such good build quality comes out I'm not stressed about being labelled a 'fanboy' :)

Honestly a 750D would do the job well. The Air 540 should do it well too. Why don't you like it?

I prefer having less real estate width wise after experiencing with it, also I would prefer more storage options (2 sounds like a good amount in the beginning, but recording vids raw does take up a few gigs :P) and going the same way with real estate, it does impose challenges when buying a desk, not the flat table types but ones with shelves dedicating to standard size ones (which I have)

I prefer having less real estate width wise after experiencing with it, also I would prefer more storage options (2 sounds like a good amount in the beginning, but recording vids raw does take up a few gigs :P) and going the same way with real estate, it does impose challenges when buying a desk, not the flat table types but ones with shelves dedicating to standard size ones (which I have)

A mid tower sounds like it'll fit but a full WC loop won't fit well, so you'd have to decide between the two. Also mATX could be the way to go, though I'm not sure on your specs..

Or you could make your own desk? Cool little weekend project for you :)

A mid tower sounds like it'll fit but a full WC loop won't fit well, so you'd have to decide between the two. Also mATX could be the way to go, though I'm not sure on your specs..

Or you could make your own desk? Cool little weekend project for you :)

got an Intel i7-4770k, Hydro 100i, MSI z87 g45 motherboard, a GTX 780 ACX cooler from EVGA, 8gb ram, 2 HDD, an SSD, and finally an Antec HCG 850w psu (planning to SLI). I bought a pre built desk from IKEA, so an ATX is going to be my path cause I always wanted to try a water cooled solution.

got an Intel i7-4770k, Hydro 100i, MSI z87 g45 motherboard, a GTX 780 ACX cooler from EVGA, 8gb ram, 2 HDD, an SSD, and finally an Antec HCG 850w psu (planning to SLI). I bought a pre built desk from IKEA, so an ATX is going to be my path cause I always wanted to try a water cooled solution.

Nice setup, should be a cracker of a machine.

Unfortunately water cooling is going to require a large case, can't get around that. mATX is off the table so we can't go smaller there... Do you have much space for the case height wise?