RM650 SLI

razorbum

Thinking of adding another asus 770 direct CUII to my rig but I'm running a rm650. Would it be better to sell my 770 and get a 780 instead?

Since going SLI I might have to change my PSU too?

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

Thinking of adding another asus 770 direct CUII to my rig but I'm running a rm650. Would it be better to sell my 770 and get a 780 instead?

I'm a bigger fan of selling the card and get a 780

Because sli isn't always to great and your psu might be running on is edge.

i think you should grab an RM850 since that will give you some headroom and you wont have to worry.

The PSU should handle it, but it would probably be really close and not good in the long term. If you need to upgrade now, a 780 sounds like a better deal as your current RM650 can handle it just fine.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

nope no need to change...it will be fine for now... :)

i think you should grab an RM850 since that will give you some headroom and you wont have to worry.

it will already have headroom with 650w too... :P

It will do, but it wouldn't be something I'd be comfortable doing.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

It will be fine most of the time, Overclocking would put me out of my comfort zone with that though. 

it will already have headroom with 650w too... :P

what, when you factor in his CPU too? we dont know what he has and what that's TDP is i would only just do SLI with my 750W

It will be fine most of the time, Overclocking would put me out of my comfort zone with that though. 

A 770's bios is locked to 180W and thats achieved by sliding the power target. A 770 already runs at 1.175V and when you overvolt it to 1.21V it just undervolts back to 1.175V, the core frequency barely adds a higher power consumption. Each of them would consume around 120-150W when gaming, and a 4770K doesn't overclock that much anyways so he has plenty of headroom to overclock.

what, when you factor in his CPU too? we dont know what he has and what that's TDP is i would only just do SLI with my 750W

750w is more than needed even for u...650w will be fine with even 4770k as well as a 8350 oc to hell...

i'd never get a 650W simply because 750 is like £10 more

ya thats one way of looking it...but both will work fine...besides it the oc also depends upon the chip...good chips oc at much lower voltage...

ya thats one way of looking it...but both will work fine...besides it the oc also depends upon the chip...good chips oc at much lower voltage...

yet to try it on my 8350 because i got a confidence hit when my first H100i died on me even though i wasn't OC'ing

yet to try it on my 8350 because i got a confidence hit when my first H100i died on me even though i wasn't OC'ing

oh man...how can it die...?? was it old or..??

1 month old, i think the pump just pooped, got a replacement within the week though, working fine now.

ya sometimes u get a bad component or something...well u should definitely try oc ur 8350...

ya sometimes u get a bad component or something...well u should definitely try oc ur 8350...

unfortunately i work 36.25 hours a week not including 1 hour lunch, so i get home and play some bioshock or something, then on weekends i just hibernate so no time :/

Back when i had a 770, i did some power consumption measurements.

My entire system (look at sig) with a 4670K @ stock speeds (back then) used:

idle - 80W

GPU load /w MSI Kombustor - 300W

So 220W more. Let's make it worst case and say it uses 250W. Add that and you have 550W. Your PSU will probably handle it no problem, espeically if you decide to undervolt the cards.

But i wouldn't be too confident about it. Power usage can peak higher and it's not healthy for your PSU imo. The system would runn smoother off a 750W PSU.

I wouldn't recommend 770 SLI either way, but the point had to be made!

I would wait for 20 nm Maxwell/Pascal to release. Your 770 is a really beefy card, no need to quickly upgrade it.

who cares...

unfortunately i work 36.25 hours a week not including 1 hour lunch, so i get home and play some bioshock or something, then on weekends i just hibernate so no time :/

i would say make some time...its meant to oc...and thats a pretty gud rig u got there... :)

i would say make some time...its meant to oc...and thats a pretty gud rig u got there... :)

been building it over the last 6 monts, finally (finished) until the 880Ti comes out, then i'll be buying one or two of those

Thanks for all the comments guys. Sorry been away training in the army! Anyway, I think I'm gonna stick to my 770 for now for next couple of years and wait for the 880!

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz