ZenBook questions

Go to solution Solved by Darkseth,

Heya, eGPU should be possible on any Laptop with Thunderbolt 4. Your Model seems to have TB4, so it should work.

Still, that Zenbook does have a decent GPU included, why not use that? Seems a waste buying a Gaming Laptop with GPU just to not use it.

If you don't use your 3080 Desktop, sell it + don't buy an eGPU case.

Unless you need every single fps you can get. But looking at those esports titles, it doesnt really seem necessary.

Super funny thing happened yesterday, I have been considering desktop replacements for weeks now and been researching the ZenBook Pro Duo 15 UX582 and trying to figure out a few things. Yesterday when the video about the look-alike was uploaded not only was that funny but then they mentioned my Asus Nitro that I'm using right now and how shit the screen is. XD

The reason I'm posting this though is because I haven't been able to figure out whether the ZenBook is able to work with eGPUs, I bought a ZOTAC 3080 last year and I haven't been able to run it at PCI gen 4 anyways with my computer being older so I'm ok with the PCIe 3 speeds and was considering this ZenBook with the Razer eGPU dock/enclosure. 

Would really love some help with this as I haven't gotten any feedback elsewhere since not many people can test whether it works and if it does how well it works. Also, I considered framework but the screen and GPU killed it for me, I love the modularity of it but for the same price, the ZenBook seems to be the best option I can see, please let me know of any other really good options that might fit these needs/wants:

• Type-C display support
  • Multi-monitor support M
    • My ASUS nitro wont accept any other outputs even with docks, just mirrors the same display
  • Reasonable graphics that can work when not connected to my eGPU dock.
    • I play, 7dtd, Rocket League, PUBG, and more for reference.

That is about the only major requirements I need other than the basics since that is everything my Nitro doesn't have. 😝

Heya, eGPU should be possible on any Laptop with Thunderbolt 4. Your Model seems to have TB4, so it should work.

Still, that Zenbook does have a decent GPU included, why not use that? Seems a waste buying a Gaming Laptop with GPU just to not use it.

Unless you need every single fps you can get. But looking at those esports titles, it doesnt really seem necessary.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:20 PM, Darkseth said:

I don't play games nearly as much anymore, but I also do CAD and the Razer eGPU enclosure would act as a docking station. Which would allow me to keep things neat and reduce the complexity of my setup. Plus I bought it on sale but it was still before GPUs came down in price. That GPU has come down over $300 (during sales) more recently and its a big bummer, but GREAT GPU. 

Right now my setup is terrible, I have a USB controller for my 4 computers, I have HDMI splitter for one monitor and 3 systems to share, my server, laptop, work laptop and main computer. All of which have their own issues and the Zenbook would fix two of these issues, being my main and laptop. 

I purchased the ASUS UX582ZW with the i9 12900H and the RTX 3070 ti 8gb of vram and it has a Gen4 m.2 slot. yes the i9 12900h model has a Gen 4 slot!!!  I believe the build date is like 9/7/2022. I love it and have no regrets! It does everything i need to do and when i have time i can play just about any game on ultra with an external 1080p display. It is very well built no issues so far as i have almost had it like 3 months. If anyone has any questions about this model i will try to answer!

On 2/13/2023 at 10:42 AM, NAME NOT AVAILABLE said:

I purchased the ASUS UX582ZW with the i9 12900H and the RTX 3070 ti 8gb of vram and it has a Gen4 m.2 slot. yes the i9 12900h model has a Gen 4 slot!!!  I believe the build date is like 9/7/2022. I love it and have no regrets! It does everything i need to do and when i have time i can play just about any game on ultra with an external 1080p display. It is very well built no issues so far as i have almost had it like 3 months. If anyone has any questions about this model i will try to answer!

Thanks for your reply and i'll keep it in mind! Unfortunately, the one I am looking at is not the baller model such as yours. Its the one with the 3060 and gen 3 thunderbolt. But I did find that the Razor eGPU enclosure is only a thunderbolt 3. But I am thinking since the 3080 model of the Creator 15 is on sale right now on Amazon for $500 off and is a great price. Just watched some videos and it seems great but lower quality frame I think. Really wish I could try some of these out. Might get one and see how I feel after a few and return if necessary. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2023 at 3:37 PM, KJustice said:

Thanks for your reply and i'll keep it in mind! Unfortunately, the one I am looking at is not the baller model such as yours. Its the one with the 3060 and gen 3 thunderbolt. But I did find that the Razor eGPU enclosure is only a thunderbolt 3. But I am thinking since the 3080 model of the Creator 15 is on sale right now on Amazon for $500 off and is a great price. Just watched some videos and it seems great but lower quality frame I think. Really wish I could try some of these out. Might get one and see how I feel after a few and return if necessary. 

What did you end up deciding on?