Screen Glitching Incredibly Oddly, maybe related to NVLDDMKM?

facsimile

Specs:

EVGA FTW3 3080 Ultra (undervolted)

I9 9900K (stock)

Noctua NH-D15

32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB RAM 3600MHz

MSI Z390-A Pro Mobo

Samsung 970 EVO

4x Seagate Seagate Barracuda 2TB

850W Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W

Windows 11 22H2 64 Bit

Wasn't doing anything at the time except being on Discord and watching Youtube, when screen starts glitching. All 3 screens I use did briefly flicker on and off before doing so, and got spammed with error messages related to NVLDDMKM during the set of flickers. Hasn't happened again since, but I am fairly concerned as to what this error could mean and if there could be something wrong with my system. I've had NVLDDMKM issues before with several games crashing, I've already re-installed drivers using DDU and games still crashed somewhat frequently afterwards. The first screenshot has a picture of the event viewer during that time, and the second shows the screen glitches I am referring to.

eventviewer.png

helphelphelp.png

That is a textbook definition of vram failure, your card is having issues with its vram not its drivers. Does that happen when you have discord closed?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

15 minutes ago, Levent said:

That is a textbook definition of vram failure, your card is having issues with its vram not its drivers. Does that happen when you have discord closed?

As I mentioned, it hasn't happened again since, but I did have discord open the entire time the issue was occurring, and am still using it so I don't think discord is the problem.

Wanted to edit this comment to say that I did minimize all the tabs on that monitor while the issue was occurring and the screen glitch was still there, so I don't think it was on just that app, but I don't think that was what your comment is implying.

Edited by facsimile
adding more detail to reply

3 minutes ago, facsimile said:

As I mentioned, it hasn't happened again since, but I did have discord open the entire time the issue was occurring, and am still using it so I don't think discord is the problem.

Although I do have similar issues with NVLDDMKM where games will crash. I did just recently up my gaming resolution to 4K with a M32U display, so I wouldn't be surprised if a VRAM failure is responsible. Managed to find one of the game crash error log messages in Event Viewer, if you think there could be any correlation.

eventvieweragain.png

Just now, swabro said:

I suspect this might be a driver problem try rolling back your driver

I have already done it with previous NVLDDMKM problems with it not seeming to be fixed. Although, I will retry rolling back my driver. Is there any specific version to roll back to?

1 minute ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

I noticed you said your 3080 is undervolted. Have you tried it with default/stock settings to see if the issue persists?

It could be possible the undervolt is no longer stable. 

Tried without undervolt and couldn't immediately replicate the issue, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue with undervolt settings at the moment either (after around 4-8hrs of gameplay with no crashes what so ever), so I'm not too sure what to think of it. The screen issue was happening when nothing was open, so I wouldn't say anything was open that would stretch the GPU's performance. GPU used to get pretty hot at stock (79-85C), but I had a bad cooling issue at the time with the CPU fans not being rotated the right way and my front case fans being exhaust, so I might try putting stock back on for awhile and see if I can replicate the issue at all.

2 minutes ago, facsimile said:

[...] so I might try putting stock back on for awhile and see if I can replicate the issue at all.

Try that, because silicon sometimes degrades and overclocks or undervolts may not be stable as time progresses. This process is usually known as degradation. 

2 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Try that, because silicon sometimes degrades and overclocks or undervolts may not be stable as time progresses. This process is usually known as degradation. 

I'll give it a try.

3 hours ago, facsimile said:

I have already done it with previous NVLDDMKM problems with it not seeming to be fixed. Although, I will retry rolling back my driver. Is there any specific version to roll back to?

reroll it back to the nearest date when your pc was running fine