Overheating CPU

I just switched my cooler from a dying intel 120 aio to a corsair i100 240, the mobo is an HP fmb-0902 from a z400 workstation, and has a xeon w 3540 or 3520. Once I did so, it proceeded to hit 100° within 30 seconds, so I repasted it, and nothing, tried adding washers to the backplate, and being careful to not overdo it, nothing, I over did it, nothing, went back to the same cooler, now that's not helping either. The best I can do is stay in the os long enough to see its on fire and power off. I'm suspecting the vrm could be old and crapping out, thus overvolting the cpu, but that's my only guess I have left. Any guesses would be nice, and if you'd like more info, then I can update my post or something as well. (Other specs. 24gb of 1333mhz by Samsung/SEC chips pc3-12800u-11-11-b1. Evga 3080 ftw3 hybrid lhr. Inatek [yes, actually called inatek] usb3.0 card. Realtek 2.5g lan card. Tplink wifi6e/bluetooth card. Apevia atx-wr680w psu [which I know sucks, and cpuld be the problem even]. HP to atx 24 pin adapter, and a stolen resistor from the old front panel header because hp hates you. Chipset is also an Intel af82801jir I think? It goes by x58 express on HP's website)

20230202_200434.jpg

20230202_200404.jpg

I'd also like to mention the wiring isn't finished, so go easy on me for the loose crap, I just tore it apart 3 times basically trying to figure this out. Also forgot to mention I'm using Linux mint 21, and I have no idea what my bios is, but I can try to find out if someone feels the need to inquire