What is DRAM and how does it differ from RAM?

ccdsg

What does overvolting DRAM or RAM do as well, I have my RAM set to it’s clock speed (3200), and my XMP profile had the DRAM voltage set from 1.15 or something like that to 1.35v, could I do this?

DRAM (dynamic) uses capacitors and needs to constantly pulsed at a clock rate. SRAM (static) uses transistors.

as far as I know, sram is used in CPU caches and is much faster than dram, but the capacities are much lower and cost is higher.

overvolting lets you run the various timings faster at the expense of potentially more wear, more heat, and more power draw.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

For consumer purposes it's all UDIMM DRAM, even if they don't state it. 

XMP is technically overclocking, which needs more voltage to get the speed and settings in the profile. That said, in practice, it's your normal operation. Don't worry about 1.35-1.4v on DDR4. If it boots on XMP without any stability issues, stop worrying about it. There's an XMP profile for a reason. Come back to us if it has problems. Otherwise, carry on.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Generally in a desktop setting RAM and DRAM are used interchangeably, so unless you're in an engineering lab assume that they're the same thing. 

31 minutes ago, ccdsg said:

What does overvolting DRAM or RAM do as well

It can sometimes make it more stable or allow for you to run more aggressive speed/timings. There are times when that's not the case however, whether because the motherboard doesn't have optimizations made for high voltage training (the B660M-A Pro DDR4 in my experience memory overclocking on that board will get less stable with voltages above 1.45V with DIMMs that scale to over 2V), the memory is overheating, or the DIMMs don't scale with memory voltage (Samsung 8Gb C die on DDR4, for instance, gets less stable when running above 1.35V). 

Generally speaking, just let the XMP set the voltage, it should do a good enough job. 

1 hour ago, Shimmy Gummi said:

For consumer purposes it's all UDIMM DRAM, even if they don't state it. 

XMP is technically overclocking, which needs more voltage to get the speed and settings in the profile. That said, in practice, it's your normal operation. Don't worry about 1.35-1.4v on DDR4. If it boots on XMP without any stability issues, stop worrying about it. There's an XMP profile for a reason. Come back to us if it has problems. Otherwise, carry on.

So I should just use the XMP profile that overvolts the DRAM the motherboard has already?

11 minutes ago, ccdsg said:

So I should just use the XMP profile that overvolts the DRAM the motherboard has already?

i wouldn't even consider 1.35v overvolting.

It's standard fare for 3200+

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x