BSOD during games. [Critical Process Died]

Satish Suthar

Hello,

I've recently been getting a lot of BSOD crashes during gaming with my 1080Ti and i7 8700K PC.

It started about a few weeks ago and now it's more frequent, I played Dota and it started to crash, I lowered the graphics and it worked for 2-3 matches before crashing.

I tried other graphic intensive games, such as High on Life by Squanch Games and it crashed right after the intro was over (soon as high polygon models needed rendering).

I've monitored the GPU/CPU temps, they're not that bad, my GPU is around 70-80 degrees. My CPU isn't running that hot either, it's around mid 70 or so degrees.

My hard disk just gave up about 3 days ago, it's a very old Seagate that lasted me more than a decade, it stopped showing up on Windows one day, I restarted, it showed up again.

Then the other day it was gone again but restarting didn't help this time. I removed it, plugged it back in, it still didn't work and then I let it be unplugged. I thought that that's what caused the BSOD so it should be fixed now.

I played Dota the whole day on higher settings and it did work, no BSOD, but as soon as I played Uncharted 4 last night, it came back again. The faulty HDD isn't plugged in and I was so close to buying another.

I also reinstalled Windows (11), and it's the same issue. Could anyone help me troubleshoot it? The crash logs aren't generating either after BSOD so idk how to get them or get them to generate.

I'm so stressed because I don't know which hardware is giving me issues or if it's the hardware at all? Because then I don't know what to replace if something needs replacing.

tl;dr

BSOD [Critical Process Died] during gaming. Windows reinstall didn't help, disconnecting a faulty HDD didn't work either.

BSOD doesn't generate crash log for me. Would love to troubleshoot the damn issue.

Help brahs.

SPECS:

Processor: Intel i7 8700K

Mobo: Asus Z370-E

RAM: 32 GB TridentZ 3200MHz (8x4)

GPU: Asus ROG Strix 1080Ti OC

PSU: Corsair RM850X

Windows 11 64bit (reinstalled about a week ago)

Age of System: 4-5 years.

21 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

The crash logs aren't generating either after BSOD

Is the event viewer the same thing? It's been a while since I've used Windows.

21 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

or if it's the hardware at all

Have you tried to underclock the GPU/CPU? The silicon might've degraded over time, although I doubt it (unless you overclocked the snot out of the components).

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

6 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Is the event viewer the same thing? It's been a while since I've used Windows.

Have you tried to underclock the GPU/CPU? The silicon might've degraded over time, although I doubt it (unless you overclocked the snot out of the components).

Idk about the event viewer, only heard it now too haha. I thought it all generates dump files like everybody's been talking about but for me that whole folder isn't there at all.

Also I never overclocked my CPU at all. So I don't know if it really is the silicon degrading. But I noticed that my GPU temps at idle are a bit high, so might be my GPU messing up? I got no other spare GPU to check the issue so that's a bit troubling.