my cpu and gpu % are sitting on 40% non stop while playing fortnite

Itshaynunbro

my cpu and gpu % are sitting on 40% non stop while playing fortnite and my fps is dropping constantly under 144 it doesnt matter if i run everything on epic setting or if i run everything on low settings
i have updated my bios and did everything i could to make it work it just doesnt want to. i just want stable 144 fps 

cpu:ryzen 7 2700
Gpu :gtx 1660 super
motherboard: b450 arous elite v1
ram :2x8 3200mhz
hdd 1tb
ssd 128gb only for windows
500w psu

2 minutes ago, Itshaynunbro said:

my cpu and gpu % are sitting on 40% non stop while playing fortnite and my fps is dropping constantly under 144 it doesnt matter if i run everything on epic setting or if i run everything on low settings
i have updated my bios and did everything i could to make it work it just doesnt want to. i just want stable 144 fps 

cpu:ryzen 7 2700
Gpu :gtx 1660 super
motherboard: b450 arous elite v1
ram :2x8 3200mhz
hdd 1tb
ssd 128gb only for windows
500w psu

First off your never going to get a stable 144 fps.

Check your task manager to see if you have any background programs running, this can affect the processor to some degree.

How much RAM do you have, I will go on a limb here and guess "2x8 3200mhz" is 2 sticks of 8GB of ram for a total of 16GB? and is it installed in dual or single channel? If in single channel, this could be a bottle neck.

If you are running your game from the HDD is it a 5500 rpm, 7200rpm or 10000rpm HDD? this may be an additional bottle neck.

If you recently updated your bios, did you make sure that your bios setting were correctly set up?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

First off your never going to get a stable 144 fps.

Check your task manager to see if you have any background programs running, this can affect the processor to some degree.

How much RAM do you have, I will go on a limb here and guess "2x8 3200mhz" is 2 sticks of 8GB of ram for a total of 16GB? and is it installed in dual or single channel? If in single channel, this could be a bottle neck.

If you are running your game from the HDD is it a 5500 rpm, 7200rpm or 10000rpm HDD? this may be an additional bottle neck.

If you recently updated your bios, did you make sure that your bios setting were correctly set up?

Ram is on dual channel and yes i have 2 sticks with 8gb, hdd is on 7200rpm and bios settings are good

1 minute ago, Itshaynunbro said:

Ram is on dual channel and yes i have 2 sticks with 8gb, hdd is on 7200rpm and bios settings are good

What is your fps dropping down to?

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

What is your fps dropping down to?

From 200-250 to 70-80

6 minutes ago, Itshaynunbro said:

From 200-250 to 70-80

Odd, I dont see anything by your specs that would cause this... how are your temps? CPU and GPU?

*edit: I am logging off for the night. Hopefully someone else will be around to help in the meantime.

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Odd, I dont see anything by your specs that would cause this... how are your temps? CPU and GPU?

Great my cpu is on 60 max 67 and gpu is 50,-ish

Are the RAM running on XMP/DOCP? If not, enable XMP/DOCP and see how it does.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

Does this 40% cap only happen with Fornite? Or other games as well? What are you using to measure it?

16 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Are the RAM running on XMP/DOCP? If not, enable XMP/DOCP and see how it does.

Its enabeled

15 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

Does this 40% cap only happen with Fornite? Or other games as well? What are you using to measure it

No its going from 20 to 40 it has random spikes to 56 it happens only once when everything is on epic 

Edit: i use hwmonitor, task manager and nvidia think not sure how its called and the difference is 2-3%

13 minutes ago, Itshaynunbro said:

No its going from 20 to 40 it has random spikes to 56 it happens only once when everything is on epic 

Edit: i use hwmonitor, task manager and nvidia think not sure how its called and the difference is 2-3%

So just so I understand correctly, the CPU/GPU usage does not go past 40% in any games or benchmarks?

What you want to do is to determain if you're facing a hardware issue or a software one. The way someone more professional could do that is with checking every software related thing, from Bios to any tasks running in windows. That would be a long list of things and I think your time would be better spent, reseting your BIOS settings to default, and trying a fresh install of windows. If this does not fix the problem then I'm afraid the number of things you can do personally to find out is not many and you might need professional help. But I suspect there is a very high chance this is a software issue and something is limiting you.

P.S: if you decided to reinstall your OS, make sure to download a new copy with Rufus and not add or install any bloatware including any utility software from manifacturers. Install all drivers manually on a clean install of windows.

13 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

So just so I understand correctly, the CPU/GPU usage does not go past 40% in any games or benchmarks?

What you want to do is to determain if you're facing a hardware issue or a software one. The way someone more professional could do that is with checking every software related thing, from Bios to any tasks running in windows. That would be a long list of things and I think your time would be better spent, reseting your BIOS settings to default, and trying a fresh install of windows. If this does not fix the problem then I'm afraid the number of things you can do personally to find out is not many and you might need professional help. But I suspect there is a very high chance this is a software issue and something is limiting you.

P.S: if you decided to reinstall your OS, make sure to download a new copy with Rufus and not add or install any bloatware including any utility software from manifacturers. Install all drivers manually on a clean install of windows.

Yes it does not pass 40%. I already did that with windows, so i guess i need new parts

2 minutes ago, Itshaynunbro said:

Yes it does not pass 40%. I already did that with windows, so i guess i need new parts

You mean you already did a fresh install of widnwos and BIOS reset and things did not get fixed? Try a Bios update just in case this is one of those famous AMD problems. After that, don't just immidiately think of buying new parts, you'll still have to find out what's causing you trouble first by handing your machine to someone with more experience and spare parts to test.

16 minutes ago, Jon-Slow said:

You mean you already did a fresh install of widnwos and BIOS reset and things did not get fixed? Try a Bios update just in case this is one of those famous AMD problems. After that, don't just immidiately think of buying new parts, you'll still have to find out what's causing you trouble first by handing your machine to someone with more experience and spare parts to test.

Okay okay i will talk to a friend for spare parts if i fix it i will let you know. Thank you for the answers

Just now, Itshaynunbro said:

Okay okay i will talk to a friend for spare parts if i fix it i will let you know. Thank you for the answers

No problem and good luck.

19 hours ago, Jon-Slow said:

No problem and good luck.

its not the gpu and its not the cpu i tested them both and they did fine but i do not think its the game too for some reason it just doesnt work. I have watched a lot of videos about this and i see people on like 70-80% gpu so idk what to do should i try older drivers ? @Jon-Slow

9 hours ago, Itshaynunbro said:

its not the gpu and its not the cpu i tested them both and they did fine but i do not think its the game too for some reason it just doesnt work. I have watched a lot of videos about this and i see people on like 70-80% gpu so idk what to do should i try older drivers ? @Jon-Slow

How did you come to the conclusion that it's not the GPU/CPU? Would you mind telling me how you did the test? Since you said neither the GPU nor the CPU go above 40% in any game, then no it's not the game.

I would swap all the parts one by one including the motherboard and the rams.

On 1/19/2023 at 2:18 AM, Jon-Slow said:

How did you come to the conclusion that it's not the GPU/CPU? Would you mind telling me how you did the test? Since you said neither the GPU nor the CPU go above 40% in any game, then no it's not the game.

I would swap all the parts one by one including the motherboard and the rams.

well i still didnt fix it but i did the heaven benchmark and my gpu went up to 99% with 120+ fps idk if that is good

There can be many reasons why you don't get the data fast enough to the GPU and CPU so that they perform at their MAX.

Try to inspect each component while playing.

For example you can use HWINFO and display graphs for each sensor value you want to monitor:

- CPU (Core Usage, Temp, Thermal Limit, ...)

- GPU (Temp, Core Load, Memory Controller Load,...)

- Disk Activity of all your disks

- Network Current DL rate and UP rate (select the network adapter with internet connection if there is more than one)

- Physical Memory Load and Page File Usage (Memory is a hard part to detect bottlenecks)

Maybe someone can suggest further useful sensor values to detect bottlenecks.

Make a screenshot after some seconds when FPS drops. Maybe you can see in the graphs what component is at load and causing a drop.

image.thumb.png.25860164f03c2f954416ca607e82c96f.png