Multiple problems with pc

qboIodp

So, I returned home a couple of days ago after the christmas vacation and after turning on the pc the first time everything was ok. Yesterday something weird happened when I opened. The case fans were 100% from when I presses the pb. I went into Bios and confirmed it was the cpu getting hot  (110C) within seconds even though all the fans were working. I uplugged everything and left just the pump plugged (I have a be quiet pure loop 360) and the pump made no noise. I then proceeded to re-plug it and still nothing. Then I plugged it into the nearest pins which were the cpu optional ones. Still nothing. Couple hours go by and I wanted to be sure, so I replugged it where it was to begin with. Funny enough it started working... 30 minutes go by and the gpu fans start going crazy by just having open discord. I check hwinfo and it only showed the 2 fans instead of the 3 the gpu has (I have Aorus 3070 Ti Master) and it said 0rpm on both fans... I restart it, the gpu got silent, I go into the app and it said the right rpm. I then thought that it was a one-time-thing and forget about it. 20 minutes later I open up a game and 5 seconds after clicking it the gpu fans go 1500rpm. I then close the game and they still are at 1500rpm. I really don't know what to do. Can anyone identify what's the problem and if it it has something to do with the first problem, the pump? 

(Current build):

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • MOBO: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
  • RAMG.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 16GB (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070 Ti MASTER 8G
  • Chassis: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window
  • PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 850W
  • AIO: be quiet! Pure Loop 360mm
  • Storage 1: Samsung 980 PRO 500GB M.2
  • Storage 2: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2
  • Storage 3: Samsung 870 EVO 500GB
  • Storage 4: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Cablemod Cables: CM-PCAB-BKIT-NKC-3PK

(Entire Setup➜ PCPartPicker)

This sounds a bit like the onset of some crazy issues I had with my 5900X that turned out to be RAM that the motherboard and / or CPU did not like... Mine did a hard crash or two like this, but it was mostly annoying no-video POSTs every 8-12 cold boots and freezing in sleep mode.

I found that the RAM I used was not on the board manufacturer's QVL list, and produced the same issues with a different board and processor, so I ordered a kit from the board manufacturer's QVL, and BOOM. Problems went away. I had one or two isolated occurences in four months, which after being informed that sleep mode is hard on the components, I disabled sleep mode and started shutting down instead. No more problems.

Here's the memory QVL for that board with this processor... You can search it for your RAM's SKU (part #) in most browsers by pressing Ctrl-F and entering it in the search string. Lots easier than reading individual columns.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

This sounds a bit like the onset of some crazy issues I had with my 5900X that turned out to be RAM that the motherboard and / or CPU did not like...

Here's the memory QVL for that board with this processor

Yeah, It's not on there. I know that but could that be causing the pump to fail and the gpu to go full rpm even on idle?

(Current build):

1 minute ago, qboIodp said:

Yeah It's not on there. I know that but could that be causing the pump to fail and the gpu to go full rpm even on idle?

I don't know about the pump failure but my GPU and other fans were running wide open with no video.

ADDED: @qboIodp

Try reseating the GPU and RAM, if it fixes it temporarily, that's an indicator. I was having to do that every 8-10 cold boots until I homed in on the RAM thing.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

12 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I don't know about the pump failure but my GPU and other fans were running wide open with no video.

ADDED: @qboIodp

Try reseating the GPU and RAM, if it fixes it temporarily, that's an indicator. I was having to do that every 8-10 cold boots until I homed in on the RAM thing.

I been having problems that in lots of cases it turned out to be ram issues. But now I have screen output and everything seem to work fine other than the gpu 100% rpm at random. Could, buying new ram resolve this issue?

(Current build):

30 minutes ago, qboIodp said:

I been having problems that in lots of cases it turned out to be ram issues. But now I have screen output and everything seem to work fine other than the gpu 100% rpm at random. Could, buying new ram resolve this issue?

It's possible. I've found Ryzen and their supporting boards to be funny about RAM. My issues were duplicated on two separate boards and processors with the same RAM, GPU and storage. I also suspect this may have been a factor in some similar issues on my old 1700 rig. Not to mention several others here have had similar issues that were solved the same way.

But like I said, try reseating the RAM and GPU if it continues to be an issue, because that was one of the prime indicators on mine. It would fix it for awhile then once the memory trained again, I had to do it again. Continued until I swapped it.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

It's possible. I've found Ryzen and their supporting boards to be funny about RAM. My issues were duplicated on two separate boards and processors with the same RAM, GPU and storage. I also suspect this may have been a factor in some similar issues on my old 1700 rig. Not to mention several others here have had similar issues that were solved the same way.

But like I said, try reseating the RAM and GPU if it continues to be an issue, because that was one of the prime indicators on mine. It would fix it for awhile then once the memory trained again, I had to do it again. Continued until I swapped it.

I reseated fhe ram and the gpu and nothing happened... I had tested them with memtest each and both at the same time and no problems occured. What do I do..

(Current build):

2 hours ago, qboIodp said:

I reseated fhe ram and the gpu and nothing happened... I had tested them with memtest each and both at the same time and no problems occured. What do I do..

Yeah, my DIMMs passed memtest too. It's a judgement call. What told the tale for me was duplicating the issues with two sets of the same DIMMS on another Ryzen setup.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

3 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Yeah, my DIMMs passed memtest too. It's a judgement call. What told the tale for me was duplicating the issue with the same DIMMS on another Ryzen setup.

Yeah, but how is the gpu fan going 100% a memory issue? I mean, the pump could very well be one but what about the gpu fans? I've had many other problems over the course of the two years I've had this pc and the majority of them indicated to be a ram issue. But, I never had a gpu problem. And the card is fairly new. I bought it in april of 22. Couldn't it be the gpu itself?

(Current build):

Yeah, but how is the gpu fan going 100% a memory issue? I mean, the pump could very well be one but what about the gpu fans? I've had many other problems over the course of the two years I've had this pc and the majority of them indicated to be a ram issue. But, I never had a gpu problem. And the card is fairly new. I bought it in april of 22. Couldn't it be the gpu itself?

My theory is, the memory zigs when it's supposed to zag and throws the motherboard for a loop. At that point, the GPU still has power, but no data for fan control, so it defaults to 100%.

It's possible this is a dual-rank / single-rank thing. I understand that to be a thing with Ryzen also. I was trying not to get into all the gritty details, but all I can tell you is this. My system ran fine for about 30 days from build.

Then one night in a particularly heavy BeamNG.drive session, it was like I pulled the plug... but not. Screen and RGB went dead, fans went wide open all around. I had to hard-press the power button to shut it down. After that, no-video POST.

Hauled it down from its perch (particularly troublesome due to exercise-induced asthma and a hypersensitive throat disorder), inspected and found nothing wrong, but reseated GPU and RAM at another member's suggestion. Video is back. Sweet, we're in business. After that, it refused to wake from sleep mode and did that no-video POST every 8-12 cold boots, requiring another reseat of the GPU and RAM. I was doing this twice a week for four months and I was about ready to throw it in a lake.

I was suspecting the motherboard and sent it off for RMA, then @BiotechBenmentioned something about memory training every so many cycles. So I bought a cheap B450 board and 3600X, threw all the other components on it and it had issues from the start with only one DIMM. Put the other one in, BOOM. No-video POST.

Same results with another kit of the same SKU from my 1700 rig (which has also been neurotic), and memtest passed both kits. Asus board returned "could not duplicate issue", replaced RAM with kits from each board's respective QVL list. Aside from a couple isolated incidents that seem to be sleep-mode related, no more issues.

Another member here tells me that he remembers using the Ballistix I first used in an Intel Coffee Lake build. So seeing as certain kits are supposedly optimized for Intel or for AMD, it would appear this is a thing.

So that's two systems on which QVL'd RAM was an issue, possibly a third. And there are others here who have found that swapping the RAM for a recommended kit fixed their issues. I can't promise it will fix yours, but I can say there does seem to be a pattern with Ryzens being fickle about RAM, and your issues seem to align with how mine started.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Instead of going out and buying parts, I would download drivers from the nvidia site, and put them somewhere that you can reinstall them. Then restart in safe mode with no networking, use DDU to completely wipe all drivers, let DDU restart your computer and install the drivers you downloaded before.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Thank you all for trying to help with my problem but it turns out the gpu problem was actually a pretty basic user error... When I reinstalled the gpu into the pcie slot the sag bracket tip, which is meant to touch the end of the gpu, was blocking one fan from working, therefore the other fans worked harder to make up for the temperature... I can't believe I didn't look directly into the fans themselves... As for the ram problem I'll  be keeping an eye for any minor problems that may occur into the future and if something is to happen again I'll post on this topic! Thanks for all the help!

(Current build):