New NVMe SSD

Go to solution Solved by Dukesilver27-,
1 minute ago, PenguinMaster said:

Alright, I'll be going new then.  I narrowed it down to these options.  The P3 Plus caught my attention, but which would you pick?

image.thumb.jpeg.188fd05e2fd01682ac9509683897b30b.jpeg

I forgot that you wanted 2TB, which is why I said $60.

Anyway, the NV2 is a great value SSD, that will be my personal pick.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/kingston-nv2-1-tb-m-2-nvme-ssd/

P3 Plus is a good SSD, faster than NV2, tho speaking on user experience, both will feel the same. So it is up to you.

Hi all,

I am looking to get a new 2TB NVMe SSD with a heatsink that wont break the bank.  I was contemplating buying second hand, but I don't know if that is a good idea?  This is for a secondary PC so nothing of real importance will be stored on it.  Mostly just to store game files.  I would like the SSD to be reliable still however, but in the event that the SSD did die, it would not be the end of the world.  I like the Samsung 980 Pro with the heatsink but that $250 price tag is just too high to justify for a secondary PC.

Let me know if you guys have any good advice!

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

You don't really need a heat sink for SSD, especially if it is only for gaming.

Unless you write and access huge amounts of data constantly, a heat sink won't do anything.

Any decent budget range SSDs would do just fine for gaming use.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

12 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

You don't really need a heat sink for SSD, especially if it is only for gaming.

Unless you write and access huge amounts of data constantly, a heat sink won't do anything.

Any decent budget range SSDs would do just fine for gaming use.

Ok great! Yeah this drive for the most part will only be used for gaming, maybe the occasional video stream from a server on my network. What do you think about buying new vs used?

Edit: What about the 2TB Crucial P3 Plus?

Me personally wouldn't buy any used HDD/SSHD/SSD, AFAIK there's no way of telling on how much it has been used, because the stats could be wiped clean by the previous owner.

Even if looking at the SMART values, there's no telling if the drive is absolutely healthy.

If you don't mind losing the data on the drive, and potentially shelling out more if it fails earlier than expected, then I guess why not find used ones.

Tho, I'd suggest cheap SSDs below $60, because it's all you need.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Me personally wouldn't buy any used HDD/SSHD/SSD, AFAIK there's no way of telling on how much it has been used, because the stats could be wiped clean by the previous owner.

Even if looking at the SMART values, there's no telling if the drive is absolutely healthy.

If you don't mind losing the data on the drive, and potentially shelling out more if it fails earlier than expected, then I guess why not find used ones.

Tho, I'd suggest cheap SSDs below $60, because it's all you need.

Alright, I'll be going new then.  I narrowed it down to these options.  The P3 Plus caught my attention, but which would you pick?

Have purchased the WD Black SN850X on a discount. Without heatsink. My current set-up has ample breathingspace and even when playing something Like Cyberpunk on 4K (really asking a lot from my RTX3070) it doesn't go above 55c. That's the max I have seen it reach though.

1 minute ago, PenguinMaster said:

P3 Plus is a good SSD, faster than NV2, tho speaking on user experience, both will feel the same. So it is up to you.

4 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I just ordered the P3 Plus.  Thank you!

My top 3 recommendations would probably be the Silicon power UD90:  up to 5000 mb/s read/4800mb/s write and about 119.99 bucks on Newegg. Next is the Crucial p3 plus: up to 5000mb/s read and 4200mb/s write and bout 124.99 on Newegg. And finally, the ADATA Atom 50, probably the worst value out of the 3, but still good 5000mb/s read and 4500mb/s write-139.99. Out of all of these, the BEST bang for your buck is probably the Silicon Power UD90