Computer beeps at me after upgrading ram

Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Honestly I'm not sure what the problem is, but it could be that your system does not support registered RAM. 

There are two types of ECC RAM: "Registered" and "Unbuffered with ECC".

The R in 12800R is an indication for it being registered.

2 minutes ago, Budget DIY said:

Most (older) consumer grade hardware, does not support ECC memory.

He said he's running a Xeon. All of them (I don't think there's an exception) offer ECC support.

Hi,

I bought a HP Z230 SFF with a Xeon processor and 4 GB of Ram. The ram that came installed was a single stick of PC3-12800U. I bought a stick of 8 GB Ram on eBay. I installed it by itself (because the new stick is ECC and the old stick is not) and when I tried to boot it, it would not boot and kept beeping. The new  (to me) stick is PC3-12800R. I tried the 8 GB stick in another slot, but it still beeped. Any idea why I'm having this issue? Last night, I ordered three sticks of this Ram (https://www.ebay.com/itm/175308315193). Is this ram correct? 

Yes, I want ECC support.

Most (older) consumer grade hardware, does not support ECC memory. Can't find much info on this "HP Z230 SFF", but I did notice it's old stuffs, @ best used by a smoll business. I consider it very unlikely that it would support ECC.

Spoiler

You could also look for that annoying speaker, and either unplug it, or cut the wires to this speaker. Then at least it won't beep anymore.

Most (older) consumer grade hardware, does not support ECC memory. Can't find much info on this "HP Z230 SFF", but I did notice it's old stuffs, @ best used by a smoll business. I consider it very unlikely that it would support ECC.

Hide contents

You could also look for that annoying speaker, and either unplug it, or cut the wires to this speaker. Then at least it won't beep anymore.

From the product page on HP's site (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03943712):

4 DIMM slots, supporting up to 32GB ECC/non-ECC, DDR3 1600 MHz

Honestly I'm not sure what the problem is, but it could be that your system does not support registered RAM. 

Most (older) consumer grade hardware, does not support ECC memory.

He said he's running a Xeon. All of them (I don't think there's an exception) offer ECC support.

10 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

This appears to be the issue. According to this site (https://cloudninjas.com/collections/z230) The Z230 does not support registered ram. Thanks.