Is my Ryzen 5 3500x bottlenecking my RTX 2060 Super or do I have another problem?

Go to solution Solved by Devryd,

The 5600x would be a great upgrade if you can afford it, but you depending on your cooling solution, you might be able to get a lot more frequency out of your 3500x, especially in a multithreaded scenario

Hello guys.

Here's my scenario: I upgraded these days to a rtx 2060 super, test in Cyberpunk at 1080p in ultra with ray tracing, dlss. Not bad, 50fps, however inside the city it drops to 35fps, this is because the CPU is used at 99%/100% and the GPU drops to 80% sometimes 78%. Since the Ryzen 5 3500x is core limited, is this normal behavior for this CPU under these conditions?

Or is there another option: (related to this topic below : I have a damage on my socket motherboard, which I managed to get working, could this be limiting the performance of my 5 3500x?

I am trying to understand which sernarios I might be experiencing. Thank you all in advance.

It could be bottlenecking the GPU a little, since you dont have multithreading. But it should still be a decent pairing. 

What are your temperatures under load?

8 minutes ago, Devryd said:

It could be bottlenecking the GPU a little, since you dont have multithreading. But it should still be a decent pairing. 

What are your temperatures under load?

CPU: 98%  99% 100% (I don't remember the temperatures, but within normal limits)

GPU: 78% 80% (temperatures 70ºC) GPU utilization goes up to 97% when I go out of City (less dense areas) and CPU usage goes down.

I used to have 1660 super, and I always thought the CPU usage was too high, around 90%, but in that case the GPU was always maxed out.

Depending on your temperature headroom on the CPU you could try overclocking it a little.

30 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Depending on your temperature headroom on the CPU you could try overclocking it a little.

Yes, it is a possibility, but I don't know if it will help much. I just wanted to make sure it's the CPU and not the motherboard socket problem I had, so I might start thinking about finding a used 3600 or 5600x.

The 5600x would be a great upgrade if you can afford it, but you depending on your cooling solution, you might be able to get a lot more frequency out of your 3500x, especially in a multithreaded scenario

2 hours ago, empresa87 said:

CPU: 98%  99% 100% (I don't remember the temperatures, but within normal limits)

GPU: 78% 80% (temperatures 70ºC) GPU utilization goes up to 97% when I go out of City (less dense areas) and CPU usage goes down.

I used to have 1660 super, and I always thought the CPU usage was too high, around 90%, but in that case the GPU was always maxed out.

Even when the CPU is slammed the GPU is still at 80%. And when you're outside the city, the reverse is true. That means you have a well balanced system where no component is under-utilized. But on the other hand you're not likely to get much more out of it by upgrading one but not the other.

You can try overclocking you CPU a bit, because that's free and quick to test, and you might gain a few FPS. Maybe pick up a decent inexpensive cooler if you're still using the stock one. But I think you'll be disappointed if you spend a bunch of money on a whole new CPU.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

2 hours ago, baronvonsatchel said:

Even when the CPU is slammed the GPU is still at 80%. And when you're outside the city, the reverse is true. That means you have a well balanced system where no component is under-utilized. But on the other hand you're not likely to get much more out of it by upgrading one but not the other.

You can try overclocking you CPU a bit, because that's free and quick to test, and you might gain a few FPS. Maybe pick up a decent inexpensive cooler if you're still using the stock one. But I think you'll be disappointed if you spend a bunch of money on a whole new CPU.

Doing a little CPU upgrade might help me to have a more stable experience where it is more cpu dependent I think... there are several videos online with rtx 2060 super + ryzen 5 3600 with very smooth experience and room for the CPU to breathe when the GPU goes to the limit.

I use the stock cooler, not much room for overclocking there. Upgrading to a new (used) CPU is only an option if I sell mine and find a good deal elsewhere, where I can spend a little more than the value of a new cooler and upgrade. Otherwise the Ryzen 5 3500x is OK for me, I just wanted to make sure this is a normal scenario for this combo.

The 3500X is a 6c/6t cpu, from what I've seen it'll be fairly typical for it to come close to maxing out in newer more multithreaded games. Same story for the 9th gen i5s. I'd say overall the 3500X with a 2060S is a decent pairing, I really wouldn't have any complaints about such a system myself. I run a 2060 reg and it runs everything I need it to just fine. If I were you, I'd probably scale back the Raytracing and just enjoy the game with a bit lowered settings, as it still looks good even with settings lowered in my opinion. If you find yourself needing a bit more cpu grunt in the future there's always Zen 3, but really I don't think it's warranted with a 2060S. Like I said there will be some games that are limited by the cpu some of the time, but there will also be plenty of others that aren't, and max out the gpu instead. I'd say if you're happy with the performance currently, don't worry about it, just enjoy the system for what it is.

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /