Corsair fans don't spin

Go to solution Solved by Cyberat,

I'd go with broken, DOA does happen, but I would chuck that 600W PSU into 2012AD.

Hello! I have a problem with my Corsair Ql120 RGB Fans (Outlined in red). They aren't spinning even though connected to the motherboard. A regular nzxt fan that I connected is spinning fine though. I tried putting the Corsair fans on PWM, Using MSI Afterburner to manually spin the fans and they still don't spin. I don't have a commander hub. They aren't broken because the fans spin for 1 second on computer startup then don't spin again. I also changed the fan temp curve to make sure that wasn't the issue either. Does anyone have a clue on why only these 3 fans aren't working?

case fan.jpg

Check to make sure you have the 4-pin fan connector on the MB fan pins. The Corsair fan's RGB connectors also have 4 pins and may appear similar in appearance to the fan pwm connector. 

26 minutes ago, Robchil said:

try to calibrate your fans in bios.. do they react then? 

No they don't

4 minutes ago, mysticales said:

No they don't

are they 3 or 4 pin? 3 pin are DC.. 4 pin are pwm.. try setting them to DC 

4 minutes ago, Robchil said:

are they 3 or 4 pin? 3 pin are DC.. 4 pin are pwm.. try setting them to DC 

Corsair fans are 4 pin that's why I set them to pwm. DC doesn't do anything either.'

I have 2 fans connected to the chassis ports on my motherboard and 1 fan connected to a cpu optional port to see if it would spin under cpu settings, still didn't work

chassis fan connecter.jpg

6 minutes ago, mysticales said:

Corsair fans are 4 pin that's why I set them to pwm. DC doesn't do anything either.'

I have 2 fans connected to the chassis ports on my motherboard and 1 fan connected to a cpu optional port to see if it would spin under cpu settings, still didn't work

chassis fan connecter.jpg

cpu optional is for mini cooling fan like 40x40mm to cool the power inlet.. if you have one. don't use that since it's max anyway. min is spinning at about 6k rpm.. constantly.. 

i see Cha Fan 3.. the rest is so blury...  

PS: try swap your ram into A1 B1 slots.. looks like they are running at 2133mhz.. 

25 minutes ago, Robchil said:

cpu optional is for mini cooling fan like 40x40mm to cool the power inlet.. if you have one. don't use that since it's max anyway. min is spinning at about 6k rpm.. constantly.. 

i see Cha Fan 3.. the rest is so blury...  

PS: try swap your ram into A1 B1 slots.. looks like they are running at 2133mhz.. 

I switched the ram to a1 b1 and it fixed the 1 fan that was connected to the cpu optional port but the 2 other fans connected to the chassis port connecters still don't work

27 minutes ago, mysticales said:

I switched the ram to a1 b1 and it fixed the 1 fan that was connected to the cpu optional port but the 2 other fans connected to the chassis port connecters still don't work

... weird..  what are your complete system? .. cpu mainboard gpu psu? .. sounds like it's not getting enough power somehow. 

you could get a splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pwm+splitter&qid=1672183140&s=pc&sr=1-1-catcorr

and connect 3 fans to one header.. the fan connected to primary cable is the one it controls rpm from. 

29 minutes ago, Robchil said:

... weird..  what are your complete system? .. cpu mainboard gpu psu? .. sounds like it's not getting enough power somehow. 

you could get a splitter like this https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-2-Pack-Way-Splitter/dp/B07PXLHNZ6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pwm+splitter&qid=1672183140&s=pc&sr=1-1-catcorr

and connect 3 fans to one header.. the fan connected to primary cable is the one it controls rpm from. 

I have a Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 3060ti, 32gb 3200mhz ram, PSU is 600w, the motherboard is a asus rog strix B550-F

I'll try to connect the fans to the header that has the regular fan spinning and see if that works

psu.jpg

13 minutes ago, mysticales said:

I have a Ryzen 7 5800x, RTX 3060ti, 32gb 3200mhz ram, PSU is 600w, the motherboard is a asus rog strix B550-F

I'll try to connect the fans to the header that has the regular fan spinning and see if that works

psu.jpg

yeah then atleast you know if the fans works. 

did the ram speed go up to 3200 too? 

18 minutes ago, Robchil said:

yeah then atleast you know if the fans works. 

did the ram speed go up to 3200 too? 

Yeah I had to turn on XMP but it went up to 3200

I connected all the fans to 1 header and the 2 fans aren't moving. But the regular fan still is moving. Are they broken or is it a volt issue?

If you want to run that system get a minimum 750W from Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, CoolerMaster.