Question about a potential upgrade :)

Hey, everyone. I wanted to ask a quick question and get your advice on the following: I currently run a 3070ti with my ryzen 7 3800x @ 1080p. I wanted to upgrade to 1440p for the longest time, but im worried that the 3800x wont cut it anymore at 1440p. Is that true? was looking to potentially upgrade to a 5800X3D along with upgrading to a 1440p main monitor, and then running my other 1080p 144hz monitor as a secondary display. would you reccomend upgrading the CPU or not?

3 minutes ago, werderman said:

but im worried that the 3800x wont cut it anymore at 1440p. Is that true?

Exact opposite is true. The higher the resolution the less the CPU matters and the more the GPU matters. If you're 3800X isn't the bottleneck at 1080P, it won't be the bottleneck at 1440P. 

Totally agree, the 3800X is absolutely sufficient for QHD. I have a 3900X and playing at 1440p is smooth af. Zen 2 is an architecture that will allow for high-refresh-rate gaming at higher resolutions for a while (which is why the consoles use it). 

If you were pairing it with an enthusiast GPU such as an RX 7900XT or higher, then that is a totally different discussion. You'd be looking for a better upgrade elsewhere for the time being. 

I hope I could help you. 

Cheers!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | RAM: 2*16GB 3200MHz 14-14-14-34 G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver | SSD: 2TB Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4; 500GB Samsung 860 EVO | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Corsair Crystal 680X | Monitor: Eve Spectrum 4K | Keyboard: Logitech G513 Romer-G Tactile | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed