$50 amp dac combo

Mao_Zedong

what is the beast amp dac combo? this one looks nice, but is it the best for the price? http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B003N0XDT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1399138238&sr=1-1&keywords=amp+dac+combo i need a single unit because i will be using it with a laptop and occasionally with a phone.

my second question is: will using the 3.5mm headphone jack make the sound worse than usb?

"USB audio decoding and output for PC, functioning as a high quality external USB soundcard", so with a PC you can use USB.

With something using the 3.5mm input, I think it'll only amplify the signal to whatever it's outputting to, like headphones due to the signal going through the embedded DAC in whatever source it's coming from (in your case, your phone).

That may be the best in that price range.

If I am not wrong, its an old product and the Fiio Andes E07K is the successor, correct me if I am wrong.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

If I am not wrong, its an old product and the Fiio Andes E07K is the successor, correct me if I am wrong.

it probably is, but the e7 is $60, and the e07 is $90.

Only worth it if you have headphones that aren't being properly powered by your current sources. 

Only worth it if you have headphones that aren't being properly powered by your current sources. 

First, i'm pretty sure that only applies to the amp. Second, i don't have the headphones yet, but i hope i can get them soon (i am in a position where there is a 50/50 chance of getting $500)`

it probably is, but the e7 is $60, and the e07 is $90.

True. I own a creative sound blaster x-fi usb external sound card http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399225214&sr=8-3&keywords=creative+sound+blaster(only $60) and I personally like it.. its cheap, has a nice metal volume control and 5.1 support. I know that its one of those full of gimmicks product but you can just turn them all off if you want. I personally like it but 95% of the people will disagree with me.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

True. I own a creative sound blaster x-fi usb external sound card http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399225214&sr=8-3&keywords=creative+sound+blaster(only $60) and I personally like it.. its cheap, has a nice metal volume control and 5.1 support. I know that its one of those full of gimmicks product but you can just turn them all off if you want. I personally like it but 95% of the people will disagree with me.

ok thanks, i'll look at that one.

First, i'm pretty sure that only applies to the amp. Second, i don't have the headphones yet, but i hope i can get them soon (i am in a position where there is a 50/50 chance of getting $500)`

Yes, it only applies to the amp, but as a dac has NO audible effect on sound quality, I tend to ignore it. (Most headphones still don't need an amp, even $500 ones)

Yes, it only applies to the amp, but as a dac has NO audible effect on sound quality, I tend to ignore it. (Most headphones still don't need an amp, even $500 ones)

i will be using it 70% on my laptop and 20% on my phone, so i assume those have sound bad enough that an amp will be great, and a dac will also help.

i will be using it 70% on my laptop and 20% on my phone, so i assume those have sound bad enough that an amp will be great, and a dac will also help.

Probably not if the laptop is 4-5 years old and the phone was made in the past ten years, you will be fine. General rule of thumb is buy the headphones first, and if something is wrong at the point buy a new source. Buy the car before you worry about were you get fuel from.