Windows Update Error 0x800f0922

DrMacintosh

Hello all, I’ve got a 2019 MacBook Pro with a Windows 10 Bootcamp install on it. Today I noticed that it’s failing to install a specific update. Update: 

2022-12 Security Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for ×64-based

Systems (KB5012170)

I’ve run DISM, SFC/scannow, windows update troubleshooter, stopped-cleared-restarted the Windows Update service. Nothing. Only thing I can think of is the system reserved partition. I see an EFI partition that is 300MB, but there is no way to expand it and there’s no indication that doing so would actually fix the issue. 

Anyone run into this or have ideas?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Hi DrMacintosh,

It's possible that the update is failing to install due to a corruption or issue with the system reserved partition on your MacBook Pro.

There are a few different reasons why this error might occur. Here are a few common causes:

• Insufficient disk space: The update might require more free space on your device than you currently have available.

• Corrupted system files: The update process might be encountering corrupted system files that are preventing it from completing successfully.

• Network connectivity issues: The update process might be experiencing connectivity issues that are preventing it from downloading or installing the update.

• Other updates are pending: There might be other updates that need to be installed before this update can be installed.

Here are a few additional troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check for any pending updates: It's possible that there are other updates that need to be installed before this update can be installed. You can check for pending updates by going to the Windows Update settings page and clicking "Check for updates."

2. Check for any error messages: When an update fails to install, it's often because there's an error message being displayed. You can check the update history to see if there are any error messages associated with the update that failed to install.

3. Reset the Windows Update components: Sometimes, resetting the Windows Update components can help resolve issues with updates failing to install. You can reset the Windows Update components by following these steps:

• Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue.
  • Type "cmd" and press Enter to open the Command Prompt.
  • Type "net stop wuauserv" and press Enter to stop the Windows Update service.
  • Type "net stop cryptSvc" and press Enter to stop the Cryptographic Services service.
  • Type "net stop bits" and press Enter to stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
  • Type "net stop msiserver" and press Enter to stop the Windows Installer service.
  • Type "ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old" and press Enter to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder.
  • Type "ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old" and press Enter to rename the catroot2 folder.
  • Type "net start wuauserv" and press Enter to start the Windows Update service.
  • Type "net start cryptSvc" and press Enter to start the Cryptographic Services service.
  • Type "net start bits" and press Enter to start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
  • Type "net start msiserver" and press Enter to start the Windows Installer service.
  1. Try installing the update manually: If the update is still failing to install, you can try downloading and installing the update manually. You can download the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog (https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx).

I hope these suggestions help! If you continue to have issues after trying these steps, it might be a good idea to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance.

18 hours ago, Noah Egener said:

snip

Thanks for your reply, however these were the typical steps I found and took when googling the problem myself. Upon further investigation, it seems like this may be an issue with Macs running Bootcamp specifically. Using this support thread for Parallels: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/failed-to-install-windows-update-kb5012170.358161/, the leading Windows VM software on Mac, it looks like VM users were not update to update due to a TPM issue. As this Mac has no TPM and no firmware TPM, I don't see a way forward until Apple does something (which is not likely as Bootcamp is not really supported by the latest Macs)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)