difference between 4g and 5g

takithes

Hi. at this time, im using my 4g modem on my pc which i pretty damn slow ranging from sorts of 20-60mbps down and 20-50 up. i recently upgraded my phones internet to 5g and im getting easily around 300mbps down and close to 100 up, how cna it be so drastically different while being in the same room, since my understanding is that 5g is even more prone to disruptions from obstacles etc compared to 4g

20 minutes ago, takithes said:

since my understanding is that 5g is even more prone to disruptions from obstacles etc compared to 4g

Yes, that is correct, and?
You've got a 5G tower nearby, mistery solved.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

It could be the old modem/poorly designed modem.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

it could be due to many reasons actually... 

the 5G coverage in your area may be better than the 4G coverage, which could result in faster speeds on your phone

your phone may be equipped with a more powerful antenna and modem that is able to take advantage of the faster speeds offered by 5G. your pc on the other hand may not have the same level of hardware, which could limit its ability to connect to the 5G network

the 5G network may be less congested than the 4G network, which could result in faster speeds (learn more about network congestion here)

5G is a relatively new technology (sort of), and its performance can vary significantly depending on a variety of factors, such as the location, the type of device being used, and the specific frequency band being used

hey! i know to use a computer

On 12/21/2022 at 6:16 PM, takithes said:

Hi. at this time, im using my 4g modem on my pc which i pretty damn slow ranging from sorts of 20-60mbps down and 20-50 up. i recently upgraded my phones internet to 5g and im getting easily around 300mbps down and close to 100 up, how cna it be so drastically different while being in the same room, since my understanding is that 5g is even more prone to disruptions from obstacles etc compared to 4g

5G and 4G have a whole range of frequencies they use so 5G can have better range than 4G, or vice versa, depending on specifically what frequency is in use on your nearest tower.

5G is only lower range when its really high frequency, intended for heavily populated areas where a higher speed and shorter range are a benefit as you can have more mini-cells on the same frequency without causing crosstalk.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7