Thermalright LGA 1700 Back Plate Help

gtr2244
Go to solution Solved by OhioYJ,
2 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

I took it apart and tried to bolt it in again, I found that a hole is out of alignment. Returning it , maybe look for a differrent model, z690 ddr 4.

Out of alignment? You removed the screws, they had to be in alignment at some point.  Or do you mean with the contact frame you bought? You know that plate on the back moves right? You may have to hold it in place until you get the screws started. Some boards they stay in place, some they don't.

I'm having a problem mounting the plate, I saw the video about backing the screws out, hear a click, then slowly tighten. 2 of the screws won't catch, backing out or turning clockwise, any solutions? Should I just use the 2 screws?

Asus Tuf z690 Pro, i9 12900k, both new.

No you can't just use two screws. That would defeat the purpose of use the plate, and you would likely have all sorts of issues due to improper / uneven pressure on the CPU / pins. 

The screws need to go down evenly. Did you start two on one side? You may have to press down just a little bit to start the other two (gently). Make sure you start them straight, if it doesnt feel right stop. 

I have the thermal grizzly contact frame, different brand, but same concept, just take your time, and get all the screws in there:

contactframe2.jpg

I tried slowly turning them, with more pressure, doesn't catch. The screws drop into the hole with little room to move. 

They catch without the frame.

I took it apart and tried to bolt it in again, I found that a hole is out of alignment. Returning it , maybe look for a differrent model, z690 ddr 4.

2 hours ago, gtr2244 said:

Out of alignment? You removed the screws, they had to be in alignment at some point.  Or do you mean with the contact frame you bought? You know that plate on the back moves right? You may have to hold it in place until you get the screws started. Some boards they stay in place, some they don't.

I had my pc standing upright, with a screwdriver I pushed through the motherboard and the back plate, when I had 2 screws in the other 2 holes wouldn't line up, moving the back plate didn't help. Also when I tried to put the intel bracket back on, it wouldn't line up also. I remembered taking it off some screws weren't in, very loose. The time I opened the box.

Got it done. I measured the distance between the top row holes and then the bottom row, the top row is shorter, on the motherboard. The back plate has Intel written on the top of it, thought that's the way to install it. Flipped it and it lined up, all set now. Thanks for your help.