Do all PBT keycaps feel the same?

e22big

I am getting some cheap RK keyboard as my spare while I brought my G915 to the office for work. It has PBT keycaps which should be good - but man that plastic feel incredibly cheap. I understood that it's supposed to be more durable and expensive but I dunno, it actually doesn't feel as nice as my ABS on the G915 which has a smooth soft touch finishes. 

Which is fine, it's a cheap mech keybord anyway, and I plan to have its keycaps replaced. However, I am starting to have my doubt about PBT. The fact that it doesn't become a mirror after prolonged use is nice, but do all of them have this 'cheap plastic' feel? (hard, rough and very light), can I expect something more by spending more mone on an expensive PBT or is that 'it is what it is kind of situation'

Don't care about the sound. I just want some colours and something with my language legend.

10 minutes ago, e22big said:

I am getting some cheap RK keyboard as my spare while I brought my G915 to the office for work. It has PBT keycaps which should be good - but man that plastic feel incredibly cheap. I understood that it's supposed to be more durable and expensive but I dunno, it actually doesn't feel as nice as my ABS on the G915 which has a smooth soft touch finishes. 

Which is fine, it's a cheap mech keybord anyway, and I plan to have its keycaps replaced. However, I am starting to have my doubt about PBT. The fact that it doesn't become a mirror after prolonged use is nice, but do all of them have this 'cheap plastic' feel? (hard, rough and very light), can I expect something more by spending more mone on an expensive PBT or is that 'it is what it is kind of situation'

Don't care about the sound. I just want some colours and something with my language legend.

Premium ABS>Budget PBT

I wouldn't  call the logitech keycaps premium abs but it surely can feel better than the rk pbt keycaps ... personally I think it might be a matter of thickness ... thicker plastic might feel more premium than thinner one ... also maybe it's the profile they use ... some profile might feel cheaper to you than some other. 

The nicest keycap set I have is an SA profile abs glossy set ... but even tho it feels and looks premium well I don't really like SA profile so I prefer using dsa or xda set I have which are pbt

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

20 hours ago, Dr0y said:

I wouldn't  call the logitech keycaps premium abs but it surely can feel better than the rk pbt keycaps ... personally I think it might be a matter of thickness ... thicker plastic might feel more premium than thinner one ... also maybe it's the profile they use ... some profile might feel cheaper to you than some other. 

The nicest keycap set I have is an SA profile abs glossy set ... but even tho it feels and looks premium well I don't really like SA profile so I prefer using dsa or xda set I have which are pbt

Yeah, I ended up getting another keyboard, Nuphy Air75. Because the one I asked has firmware bug (that I've managed to solve already but the Nuphy one's already arrived)

And wow, the PBT on this keyboard feel night and day different from the cheap one I bought previously. Not sure it has anything to do with the thickness - I don't really care about the keyboard sound because I use headpone anyway but it has this soft-touch texture that I also found on Logitech and stuff like the Chromecast body and remote. 

The cheap PBT I've got is just very hard and rough to the hand, fairly similar to the Xbox controller in a way but even rougher to the touch. It reminded me off some very cheap headphone